Author Topic: heart murmurs  (Read 10335 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
heart murmurs
« on: June 12, 2014, 09:06:21 PM »
Last July--July 2013--during a physical examination, the physician detected a heart murmur inside of me, and it appeared to be pretty dangerous.  So I had all these electrocardiograms and other sorts of non-invasive examinations, and yeah, there was a problem.

Initially, I was prescribed a cardiac drug.  I took it for six days, but felt uncomfortable, ill at ease, with it.

With the permission of the physician--reluctant, but permission nonetheless--I ceased the drug, and used nothing stronger than aspirin, and damned little of that.

Today I had another physical examination.  No heart murmur was detected, even though the physician looked for it, and checked for it three times.

This doesn't mean it's not there; it means only it can't be found.

Has this ever happened to anyone, the strange evaporation of a problem?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Dori

Re: heart murmurs
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 09:17:05 PM »
Last July--July 2013--during a physical examination, the physician detected a heart murmur inside of me, and it appeared to be pretty dangerous.  So I had all these electrocardiograms and other sorts of non-invasive examinations, and yeah, there was a problem.

Initially, I was prescribed a cardiac drug.  I took it for six days, but felt uncomfortable, ill at ease, with it.

With the permission of the physician--reluctant, but permission nonetheless--I ceased the drug, and used nothing stronger than aspirin, and damned little of that.

Today I had another physical examination.  No heart murmur was detected, even though the physician looked for it, and checked for it three times.

This doesn't mean it's not there; it means only it can't be found.

Has this ever happened to anyone, the strange evaporation of a problem?

I was born with one, but as I grew up it seemed to disappear. Hasn't been detected since.

They thought they found one in my daughter, not at birth, but at age 5, then not again after that. 

The heart is a muscle, so maybe it can get a little out of whack and repair itself.
I guess it depends upon what is causing the murmur.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler