Author Topic: Drug Is Found to Eradicate HIV Permanently from Infected Cells  (Read 11558 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Drug Is Found to Eradicate HIV Permanently from Infected Cells
« on: September 25, 2013, 09:53:06 PM »
Drug Is Found to Eradicate HIV Permanently from Infected Cells

The topical anti-fungal drug Ciclopirox causes HIV-infected cells to commit suicide by jamming up the cells’ powerhouse, the mitochondria — according to a study by researchers at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. And unlike current anti-HIV drugs, Ciclopirox completely eradicates infectious HIV from cell cultures, with no rebound of virus when the drug is stopped. The study has been published in the journal PLOS ONE.

The treatment of patients with HIV has been revolutionized by the advent of combination anti-retroviral drugs. But although these drugs are highly effective at keeping HIV at bay, they must be taken for the life of the patient and never eliminate the infection completely. This is illustrated by the often rapid resurgence of virus in patients who stop taking these medications. The persistence of HIV is partially due to the ability of the virus to disable the cell’s altruistic suicide pathway, which is normally activated when a cell becomes infected or damaged.
Rutgers

Interesting.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

Re: Drug Is Found to Eradicate HIV Permanently from Infected Cells
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:57:17 PM »
Hasn't the HIV virus shown a propensity for rapid mutation?

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 10:26:22 PM »
I hope this drug is efficacious as an antiviral on many more destructive viruses.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 07:47:09 AM »
I hope this drug is efficacious as an antiviral on many more destructive viruses.

Yes. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 09:39:50 AM »
Hasn't the HIV virus shown a propensity for rapid mutation?

I believe so.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 10:26:51 AM »
I'm by no means any sort of expert, but the very nature of viruses reveals that they mutate very quickly. Which is one reason why there's no cure for the common cold.

The rhinovirus changes its genetic makeup quicker than you can sneeze.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 10:55:53 PM »
My sense regarding viruses is that they are either undetectable by the immune system, or detected but not identified as a foreign body. Therefore they are accepted and allowed to duplicate and go on about their destructive ways.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.