Author Topic: My 'strange' illness  (Read 11472 times)

Offline ChuckJ

My 'strange' illness
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:53:15 PM »
After a couple of weeks I'm still recovering from a strange flu-like illness.

About two weeks ago I woke up at 12:30 AM on Sunday freezing to death. Even the air touching my skin hurt. My knees were sore. As were the joints in my fingers.

According to the thermometer my temp was only 97.5, but by 4:30 AM I was heating to death. In 15 minutes my temp jumped from 99.7 to 100.2. I took some aspirin which seemed to get my temp under control, but through the day I would still fluctuate from freezing to being extremely hot.

On Monday the coughing started. The heat/cold feelings subsided a bit, but the cough constantly got worse.

On Wednesday I went to the doctor and he gave me some antibiotics and some high dollar cough syrup.

By Wednesday of last week I thought I was better. Then on Thursday the cough started coming back.

Today I seem to be doing better. Thankfully.

What is so strange is that through it all I never had any runny or stopped-up nose. No kind of sinus problems.

Also, the Thursday before the symptoms first started I got bit by some sort of insect on my forehead. By Friday it had swollen to the size of a golf ball. It remained swollen for several days. Although the swelling has gone away I can still feel the bite mark.

My wife thinks that whatever bit me caused the illness. I think it was just a coincidence. The doctor seemed intrigued, but not concerned, about the bite.

What do you guys say? You ever heard of an insect causing the above symptoms? Or of a flu or cold without a runny nose?
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: My 'strange' illness
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:08:18 PM »
You ever heard of an insect causing the above symptoms

Yes I have but my attempts at self diagnosis have been spectacular failures.

Did your doc tell you what he thought was going on and did the doc know you had the third eye thing going?
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:57:48 PM »
Yes I have but my attempts at self diagnosis have been spectacular failures.

Did your doc tell you what he thought was going on and did the doc know you had the third eye thing going?

Yeah, I told him about the bite. It was still swollen some when I went to him, but it had already went down from its golf ball sized glory. He wondered if it could have been a tick, but I find it hard to believe that a tick could have bitten my on the forehead and then fallen off without me knowing it. Most of the time when a tick latches on it is tough to get it off. I tend to believe it was a mosquito, but I have no evidence other than the fact that we got into a ton of mosquitos that day.

The main thing the doctor seemed to be concerned about was me keeping check on my temp to make sure it didn't get too high.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 07:59:14 PM »
Have you researched West Nile Virus?  Mosquitoes carry it.  We are getting a lot of it down our way.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 08:06:48 PM »
Have you researched West Nile Virus?  Mosquitoes carry it.  We are getting a lot of it down our way.

One my friends actually had what they think was the West Nile Virus (or one of the other mosquito-born viruses) just recently.

With what I had I never really had a temperature but for one day.

I forgot to add in my original post that when it was going on that I didn't have any energy and was sleepy all of the time. I originally attributed that to the cough syrup, but I was still tired and sleepy several days after I stopped taking it.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 12:25:42 PM »
Except for the bite on the forehead... sounds like the wicked cold/flu thing we had down here in the spring.

Chris and I both had it, several other CC'ers did too, I think.

Chris got it before I did, and I think his lasted about as long as mine did. I got it in February and it was May before I was completely over it.

Have you been checked for Lyme Disease? We have West Nile going on here too. All the rain is making the mosquitoes very prolific...  :censored:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 01:22:18 PM »
Except for the bite on the forehead... sounds like the wicked cold/flu thing we had down here in the spring.

Chris and I both had it, several other CC'ers did too, I think.

Chris got it before I did, and I think his lasted about as long as mine did. I got it in February and it was May before I was completely over it.

Have you been checked for Lyme Disease? We have West Nile going on here too. All the rain is making the mosquitoes very prolific...  :censored:

I just had the flu about two months ago. I had to go to the doctor for that also. If this was a second case of the flu I think it would be the first time I've been unfortunate enough to get it twice in one year.

I have NOT been checked for Lyme Disease.

I'm hoping whatever I did have was taken care of by the antibiotics. I know I'm feeling better. Still not 100%, but much better than I was. Thank the Lord.