Author Topic: puncturing a boil  (Read 13155 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
puncturing a boil
« on: June 16, 2013, 07:42:02 PM »
You know, I'm getting a little irked with members here, especially those in the DUmpster, and especially vesta111, who've been ignoring a question I posed.  It's a rather delicate subject, yes, but hey, in the DUmpster things such as human-animal sexual acts or excretory functions, as described by the primitives on Skins's island, are freely and wantonly discussed.

A primitive had a boil excised from the top of his butt-crack.

It seemed a rather complicated procedure.

I've never had a boil in my life, and while I've probably seen them on other people, never having heard the world "boil" in association with them, "boil" is just a four-letter word to me, signifying, possibly, an unnatural protuberance in the skin with liquid inside that needs drained out.

And no, I'm not willing to google-image it, because I'd just as soon keep seeing it as those words describe it, "an unnatural protuberance in the skin with liquid inside that needs drained out." 

When I was a teenager, like every other teenager, I had pimples.

Usually I'd just pop them, and it worked out fine.  I never used anything other than soap-and-water.

However, once in a while, there'd be a particularly difficult one, that squeezing wouldn't make it pop.

In that case, I'd just grab a pin or needle, holding it inside the flame of a lit match to sterilize it, and then jab it into the white crust, popping it, draining it.  The parents, both registered nurses, would yell at me if they saw me doing it, but nothing bad ever happened, and I continued doing it.

If one has a boil and it's supposed to be drained, why not just stick a pin or needle into it, puncturing it?

No thanks to vesta111, to whom my question was directed, and she utterly ignored it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ColonelCarrots

Re: puncturing a boil
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 07:44:15 PM »
I saw a video of someone using a scalpel. I just about died seeing it.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 08:09:57 PM »
My Dr. once told me that you shouldn't mess with boils, due to possibility of infection spreading under the skin (I think that's what she said). The DUmmie had a pilodinal cyst. I think that is different than a boil, but I haven't done a lot of research.  A cyst has a sac that needs to be removed. My cat had a cyst on her tail and the vet had to remove it. Otherwise, it would open on its own, ooze something nasty, and then start the process over. Ewwww- disgusting just thinking about it.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 08:12:48 PM »

Thank you!  I can't figure out why, in a forum that watches the antics of the primitives, that anyone's reluctant to answer the question.

But if the pin or needle's sterile, where's the risk of infection?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 08:30:57 PM »

You are welcome Frank.

I don't know a great deal about boils, so don't view this as authoritative.  I think a boil is a staph infection under the skin.  I guess if it spreads or gets in the bloodstream, a person would have a serious problem. I think boils can drain on their own, though, so maybe the problem is when people use unsterilized needles or lances. 

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 08:41:08 PM »

Thank you!  I can't figure out why, in a forum that watches the antics of the primitives, that anyone's reluctant to answer the question.

But if the pin or needle's sterile, where's the risk of infection?

With an abscess, or boil, the pus and infection is self contained, which is why the pus stays in one place rather than spreading everywhere under the skin.  If you drain it incorrectly, it is possible for the infection to spread out into more of the body causing either a larger local infection, or in extreme cases, a systemic infection.  Also, some boils and cysts are much larger than they appear on the surface, and if you don't drain it fully, it can easily come back.  

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 09:40:35 PM »
With an abscess, or boil, the pus and infection is self contained, which is why the pus stays in one place rather than spreading everywhere under the skin.  If you drain it incorrectly, it is possible for the infection to spread out into more of the body causing either a larger local infection, or in extreme cases, a systemic infection.  Also, some boils and cysts are much larger than they appear on the surface, and if you don't drain it fully, it can easily come back.  

thankyouthankyouthankyou!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline CG6468

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 09:52:33 AM »
Maybe it's a pilonidal cyst; I had one of those literal pains in the ass when I was in the Coast Guard in Charlevoix, MI. I thought it was a boil, but the doc told me what it really was. When he punctured it, I left my fingerprints embedded in the exam table. The pain was indescribable.

Had surgery to have it removed, spent lotsa time in sitz baths for healing.

Sorry, Frank; I didn't see this thread before.

Pilonidal Cysts
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:00:23 AM by CG6468 »
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 09:59:02 AM »
Kill it with fire.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 10:16:03 AM »
I think with cysts they have a cyst wall that must be removed or they simply come back.  I had a sebaceous cyst that gave me problems for a couple of years because the doc wasn't getting the entire cyst wall.  He said if he left one tiny piece in there it would come back.

Nasty stuff.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 03:17:36 AM »
I had a staph infection in my leg during Desert Storm. While the Doctors lanced & drained it properly, it ha spread into other parts of my body. I was in the sip's hospital for ten days on IV antibiotics.

Currently, I have a pressure wound at the base of my spine. They say it's from sitting too much. It's slowly healing.

Those cysts seem to be fairly common. I had a potential recruit who was delayed his enlistment because of one. Once it had been taken care of, he was able to join the Navy. I'm not sure what causes them.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson