Author Topic: Scientists find treatment to kill every kind of cancer tumor  (Read 11926 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Scientists find treatment to kill every kind of cancer tumor
« on: April 04, 2013, 09:08:12 AM »
Scientists find treatment to kill every kind of cancer tumor

Researchers might have found the Holy Grail in the war against cancer, a miracle drug that has killed every kind of cancer tumor it has come in contact with, the New York Post reported.

The drug works by blocking a protein called CD47 that is essentially a "do not eat" signal to the body's immune system, according to Science Magazine.

This protein is produced in healthy blood cells, but researchers at Stanford University found that cancer cells produced an inordinate amount of the protein thus tricking the immune system into not destroying the harmful cells.

With this observation in mind, the researchers built an antibody that blocked cancer's CD47 so that the body's immune system attacked the dangerous cells.
New York Post

Awesome stuff. :thumbs:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Scientists find treatment to kill every kind of cancer tumor
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:18:52 AM »
Stanford University stands to make a shitload of money from this, if research continues to show promise.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:26:47 AM »
Oh wow.  That is very promising indeed.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 07:31:04 AM »
Isn't this how "I am Legend" started?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 09:20:15 AM »
Isn't this how "I am Legend" started?

I don't know but I wish it would have been here to keep my fil alive.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline cclanofirish

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 09:40:05 AM »
I can see one potential immediate problem. How do they keep the cure from mutating and attacking the healthy cells as well?

With this observation in mind, the researchers built an antibody that blocked cancer's CD47 so that the body's immune system attacked the dangerous cells.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 10:27:36 AM »
I can see one potential immediate problem. How do they keep the cure from mutating and attacking the healthy cells as well?

From the article:

One side effect of the treatment was that healthy cells were subjected to short-term attacks by the mice's immune system, but the effect was nothing in comparison to the damage done to the cancer cells.
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 12:08:50 PM »

One side effect of the treatment was that healthy cells were subjected to short-term attacks by the mice's immune system, but the effect was nothing in comparison to the damage done to the cancer cells.

I'm sure there will be a law suit somewhere claiming unintentional damage.

Money comes before cure........for lawyers.  :-)
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne