Author Topic: ooops, I'm wondering  (Read 10994 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
ooops, I'm wondering
« on: June 02, 2018, 05:40:33 AM »
I'm wondering if hospital-grade, hospital-quality, hospital-owned scales to measure weight can ever suddenly abruptly within 24 hours go bad.

This one was last calibrated and found to be accurate, about five weeks ago.

There's a scale here, which I'm supposed to use at least once a day, and it internetally transmits the weight to the hospital, which is pretty far away.

When I stepped on it this morning, it claimed I'd lost a whopping 6.5 pounds the past twenty-four hours.

Other than it being abnormally hot around here--although I've stayed in the air-conditioning--I did nothing different the past 24 hours; drank about the same quantity of liquids (four quarts, about half of it plain ordinary water and ice, the rest of it being skim milk and ice), ate about the same quantity of foodstuffs (circa 1500 calories a day), and I most certainly didn't exert myself any more than I usually do.

The only "weight reduction" pharmaceutical I use (it's used for reasons other than for weight loss) is Ferosemide, 40g tablets, two of them once a day, and I've been on that for ages now, with no significant changes in weight, certainly nothing of this magnitude in this short of time.

It's 5:00 in the morning, too early to get anybody else all upset about this; I'll wait for the hospice people to come today, about mid-morning probably, and report back here what they say.  I have no idea why I'm posting this, other than that I like posting about strange or new phenomenons (including primitives).
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
Re: ooops, I'm wondering
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 06:58:14 AM »
franksolich, are you eating?

Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 07:04:14 AM »
franksolich, are you eating?

Yeah, but when a nurse is here later today, I'll inquire so as to be sure.

Two hours later, at about 7:00 a.m., the scale alleged me being five pounds, not six and a half pounds, lighter, but that was after breakfast and about a quart of skim milk and ice.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 07:09:38 AM »
Yeah, but when a nurse is here later today, I'll inquire so as to be sure.

Two hours later, at about 7:00 a.m., the scale alleged me being five pounds, not six and a half pounds, lighter, but that was after breakfast and about a quart of skim milk and ice.

You may ask the nurse about boosting your intake to 2,000 calories a day with more carbohydrates.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 07:21:25 AM »
You may ask the nurse about boosting your intake to 2,000 calories a day with more carbohydrates.

This has been an issue before, but damn, I'm not a primitive with a bottomless stomach.  I can dine on only so much before I'm bloated.

Yesterday, I had my usual, what I dine upon every day--two apples, one container of yogurt, and two very large (very large) bowls of vanilla ice cream topped with skim milk.  During the day time (something easy to specifically measure) yesterday, about half a gallon of water and ice, about half a gallon of skim milk and ice.

As every day the past, oh, six months.  I'm not a gourmand; I've always considered food as merely a fuel, not something on which to spend a whole lot of time.  I have a lifelong habit of eating the same thing day after day after day after day, which probably explains my healthy digestive system and that I spend only two minutes a day, even less, having to sit on the commode.  I don't like wasting time.

There's some foods I used to really like, but can't take any more.

For variety, two times a week (ordered from the bar in town), turkey and Swiss on rye.

I'm just not a gourmand, never have been.

The medical people have suggested at various times I should do better than this, but damn, I can't get excited about food.  I'm doing what I can, how much I can [handle].
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 03:32:42 PM »
Does it have a battery, one of those coin size things? Rapid variations in temperature does effect them.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 04:02:57 PM »
You should get a second one just for such occasions.

I have to take my BP regularly and when it seems strange I check by second unit.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 04:38:43 PM »
Does it have a battery, one of those coin size things? Rapid variations in temperature does effect them.

It's a hospital-owned machine that checks weight, blood pressure, oxygen absorption, and pulse-rate.

BioElectronic 0004454

The weight at 2:00 p.m. was still five pounds less than it'd been the day before.

The nurse is coming out tomorrow; I'd advised her that all else seemed stable, and I feel perfectly fine, so no point in her wasting so much travel time right now.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 07:32:42 PM »
If it were me, I would obtain a portable article of knowable, unchanging weight.  It took me a minute to think of a five-gallon paint bucket with a large rock in it.  Then I would weigh that at any time I suspected the scale of reading low (or high).
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels