Author Topic: compression stockings  (Read 9915 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
compression stockings
« on: May 30, 2018, 11:35:39 PM »
Back when I was still recovering from cardiac surgery (which I eventually did), and just as I had started undergoing chemotherapy, a cardiovascular nurse compelled me--she was the pushy type--to purchase and use compression stockings.

This was in October.  It was starting to get cold here in Nebraska, and I was already wearing three layers of clothing.  To put on, and wear, the compression stockings was too much trouble and too uncomfortable, so I quit using them after about, oh, a week, shoving the pair into the back of the top drawer of the dresser.

In April, I began developing lilghtning-like jolts of pan in the legs and arms.  The physician presecribed what I call "the gabby pills," Gabapentin, 300mg three times a day.  I forgot to remind him that I've proven unusually senstitive to drugs, and that dosage knocked me out better than Cassius Clay could.  The physician reined it in, and gave me 100mg one time a day. 

That lesser dosage worked; it didn't eliminate all the pain, but it seemed to eliminate the greater part of the pain, so I was satisfied.

Then one day three weeks ago the woman who does my laundry (private pay deal; no part of any insurance-covered home health program) was here, and noticed the pair of compression stockings jammed in the back of the drawer.  She admitted she was no medical professional, but wondered if perhaps I used this, they might be better for dealing with neuropathy.  I inquired of the hospice people, all of whom said, yeah, it wouldn't hurt and might help.

Because it's summer and I have to wear less cumbersome clothing, I've religiously wore these compression stockings (I now own four pairs) every single day from when I first get up in the morning until I go back to bed in the evening.

Within three days of doing that, there was no pain, zero pain, and curiously not only in the legs where the stockings are worn, but also in the hands and arms, which are not compressed.  I quit taking the gabby pills to see what would happen.....and nothing happened.  A couple of times, I tried going a day without wearing the stockings, and some--some--pain came back. 

However, it seems that as long as I wear them all day long, every day, there's no need for any pills, as the neuropathic pain isn't there.

And odder, in the arms and hands too, where nothing's compressed.

Has anyone else here had such an experience with compression?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline freedumb2003b

Re: compression stockings
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 07:22:38 AM »
I know the theory for compression stockings is they help pump the blood in the legs.  If it is helping then your heart is available to pump more blood into yur arms so it stands to reason.

I used to fly a lot (nearly 3 million miles).  I tried compression stockings for years but it always ended up irritating my legs at the top and the itch would be unbearable.  Eventually I gave up.  You are probably a lot thinner than I so you are no doubt not subject to the elastic ring I was.

Glad to hear that things are getting better and that this small health hack has other benefits, Frank!!!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline sneakypete1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 06:22:41 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Wanderlust-Air-Travel-Compression-Socks/dp/B00YZGFWPS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=13UJNN3HLMHWC&keywords=wanderlust+compression+socks&qid=1556493537&s=gateway&sprefix=WANDERLUST%2Caps%2C237&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

These are the best compression socks I have ever found after years of looking. They are thick and you would think this would make them hot,but they breathe. It has been MY experience that the thin nylon compression stockings make me sweat and also tear easily. No such problem with these,and I have several pair I have been wearing for more than a year.

The thickness also means you have padding under your feet. They are also pretty long,going all the way up to my knee.

Just make sure that after you wash them you hang them up to air dry.

Offline sneakypete1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 06:26:53 PM »
I know the theory for compression stockings is they help pump the blood in the legs.  If it is helping then your heart is available to pump more blood into yur arms so it stands to reason.

I used to fly a lot (nearly 3 million miles).  I tried compression stockings for years but it always ended up irritating my legs at the top and the itch would be unbearable.  Eventually I gave up.  You are probably a lot thinner than I so you are no doubt not subject to the elastic ring I was.

I had that trouble with the thin ones made from nylon,but the ones I recommended here are cotton with nylon in them for compression. If you have any trouble with the dreaded "depressed ring pain",you can always fold the top over for an inch or so to allow your leg to swell a little again. These are so thick this is rarely a problem,though

In worse case scenarios, you can always use medical tape around your leg where the top goes to keep the top of the sock from digging in.

MY  biggest problem with compression stockings has been pinching around my ankle where it is smaller,and this causes the sock to bunch up. I have used strips of cardboard and/or tape to deal with this,but now that I have the upper leg swelling under control,the ankle bunching hasn't been a problem.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 06:29:24 PM by sneakypete1 »