Author Topic: Tendonitis & prednisone  (Read 15099 times)

Offline ChuckJ

Tendonitis & prednisone
« on: October 12, 2016, 08:37:38 PM »
Well, in the past four or five months I've enjoyed sinusitis, sciatica, and a week of a high temp of unknown origin. Now I suppose my ailment is tendonitis.

After a couple of months of my right arm aching from my elbow toward my hand I finally went to the doctor on Monday. It was hurting especially bad at the time. Probably from spending Monday morning trying to hack up some of the trees that fell during the hurricane. My doctor, who still didn't have any power at his office due to the storm, met with me in his windowed lobby. When I explained to him where it was hurting, how it was hurting, and how long it was hurting he said that it sounded like tendonitis and I should rest it for awhile. When I sighed he smiled and said, "I know with your type of work it'll be hard to rest it." I told him that he was correct and that I was backed up enough that it'd be a month and half before I could take off more than a couple days in a row. He prescribed something called Prednisone (which is apparently some sort of steroids) and told me to rotate cold and heat on my arm. I started rotating the cold and heat as soon as I got home but couldn't get the prescription filled until Tuesday because the drug stores also did not have power.

I've been taking the prednisone as prescribed since and my arm isn't hurting nearly as much today as it has hurt the last few days. Is it just psychosomatic or is the drug and cold/heat thing actually working this quickly?
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline SVPete

Re: Tendonitis & prednisone
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 12:26:32 AM »
I may be real. Be aware that prednisone may mess with your sleep, and make you VERY irritable. BTDTGTTS - I was on prednisone after brain surgery (almost 3 decades ago), and it did both. It may depress your immune system some as well (it's used as a chemotherapy agent in stronger, injected doses). Use it as directed. The directions should taper you off gradually over a week or two. Don't just stop using it. It's a powerful medication with significant side effects.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 04:35:20 AM »
I may be real. Be aware that prednisone may mess with your sleep, and make you VERY irritable. BTDTGTTS - I was on prednisone after brain surgery (almost 3 decades ago), and it did both. It may depress your immune system some as well (it's used as a chemotherapy agent in stronger, injected doses). Use it as directed. The directions should taper you off gradually over a week or two. Don't just stop using it. It's a powerful medication with significant side effects.

Thank you for responding. Believe it or not you put my mind at ease a bit. I didn't get but about an hour and a half of sleep last night and couldn't figure out why because I really was tired from a hard day at work. I had already heard about the potential for irritability, but I'm married so I figure if I get too out of hand my wife will just replace my standard leash with some sort of choke collar or "zap" collar  :-). You're right about the tapering off. This is one of those step down packs with 6 tablets the first day then counting down to 1 on the last day.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:23:44 AM by ChuckJ »
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 07:35:21 AM »
Thank you for responding. Believe it or not you put my mind at ease a bit. I didn't get but about an hour and a half of sleep last night and couldn't figure out why because I really was tired from a hard day at work. I had already heard about the potential for irritability, but I'm married so I figure if I get too out of hand my wife will just replace my standard leash with some sort of choke collar or "zap" collar  :-). You're right about the tapering off. This is one of those step down packs with 6 tablets the first day then counting down to 1 on the last day.

I was in the hospital for several days after the surgery and was experiencing the sleep problem thing before being discharged, but had not been told about the side effects. It was when we were getting the prescription filled that the pharmacists said to my wife, "You know, this will make him like a drill sergeant for a while." My wife had to keep an eye on me for a week or so as I was tapering off. OTOH, did did appreciate my getting up early so as not to disturb her with tossing and turning. I did the dishes and such so as not to be bored.

Steroids are serious medicine, for serious purposes. My daughter was on chemo - vinblastine and vincristine - for a rare disease. The chemo agents did their job, but if she'd had a recurrence the chemo agent they would have tried next would have been prednisone. That was >25 years ago and she didn't have a recurrence.

I didn't want to scare you off, but wanted to let you know what to look for in the next week or two.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 08:55:18 PM »
I was in the hospital for several days after the surgery and was experiencing the sleep problem thing before being discharged, but had not been told about the side effects. It was when we were getting the prescription filled that the pharmacists said to my wife, "You know, this will make him like a drill sergeant for a while." My wife had to keep an eye on me for a week or so as I was tapering off. OTOH, did did appreciate my getting up early so as not to disturb her with tossing and turning. I did the dishes and such so as not to be bored.

Steroids are serious medicine, for serious purposes. My daughter was on chemo - vinblastine and vincristine - for a rare disease. The chemo agents did their job, but if she'd had a recurrence the chemo agent they would have tried next would have been prednisone. That was >25 years ago and she didn't have a recurrence.

I didn't want to scare you off, but wanted to let you know what to look for in the next week or two.

I had seen that it was sometimes used for leukemia patients. Other than the sleeping issue, right now it's seeming to me to be a miracle drug. I worked all day today and used my arm as I always do. It feels better than it has in months which is saying something considering less than four days ago it would hurt just lifting a coffee cup. I do have a question for you if you check back in. How long after you stopped the drug did the sleep problems last?

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 06:14:04 PM »
I had seen that it was sometimes used for leukemia patients. Other than the sleeping issue, right now it's seeming to me to be a miracle drug. I worked all day today and used my arm as I always do. It feels better than it has in months which is saying something considering less than four days ago it would hurt just lifting a coffee cup. I do have a question for you if you check back in. How long after you stopped the drug did the sleep problems last?

I think my sleep got close to normal toward the end of the tapering. My memory could be off on that, but getting back to normal was quick.

This is the disease my daughter had. Looking at the treatment section, it looks like prednisone it no longer used.Basically, in LCH a particular type of white cell multiplies out of control, and starts attacking healthy tissue. The Vinca alkaloids, used with my daughter, kill off many of the white cells. My understanding is that Prednisone does this as well. She was getting weekly shots and weekly blood tests. Depending on her white cell count, there were weeks we couldn't take her to places with lots of people, like church.

It was very scary when she was first diagnosed, as the out of date medical literature we could find put the survival rate of children a little older than her at 67%. Her doctor was one of the experts in that disease, and let us know survival rate were much better than that. I don't even like to think how things might have gone had we had some form of ObamaCare back then.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 07:08:26 PM »
I think my sleep got close to normal toward the end of the tapering. My memory could be off on that, but getting back to normal was quick.

This is the disease my daughter had. Looking at the treatment section, it looks like prednisone it no longer used.Basically, in LCH a particular type of white cell multiplies out of control, and starts attacking healthy tissue. The Vinca alkaloids, used with my daughter, kill off many of the white cells. My understanding is that Prednisone does this as well. She was getting weekly shots and weekly blood tests. Depending on her white cell count, there were weeks we couldn't take her to places with lots of people, like church.

It was very scary when she was first diagnosed, as the out of date medical literature we could find put the survival rate of children a little older than her at 67%. Her doctor was one of the experts in that disease, and let us know survival rate were much better than that. I don't even like to think how things might have gone had we had some form of ObamaCare back then.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear that your daughter had to go through all of that.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 06:48:49 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear that your daughter had to go through all of that.

Thanks! It was scary at first, before we knew what was going on, but it quickly became part of our lifestyle. She was a few weeks short of age 2 when it started, and she was on chemo for 6 months. She's almost 29 now and doing well.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 09:10:12 PM »
Well, I'm back on the prednisone again. Every thing was fine until the 7th day after starting the medication. That would be the first day after taking the last dose. My elbow was a little sore. By the next day it had moved back into my arm. By the third day the pain was back as strong, or maybe worse, than before.

I went back to the doctor today. He has ordered me to rest the arm for a week and put me on another run of prednisone. That means I'll be on 'vacation' next week. The way the arm is hurting I'd actually prefer it to start tomorrow.