Author Topic: Honestly, what's the big deal about taxes?  (Read 708 times)

Offline CC27

Honestly, what's the big deal about taxes?
« on: February 27, 2009, 11:06:49 AM »
margotb822  (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-27-09 11:53 AM
Original message
Aren't they the price we pay for having this society? Police, schools, roads, a military?

I guess, the way I feel is that I am lucky to be an American and living this lifestyle. I think that if we all pay in, we all benefit. I went to a great public school, but every year, the budget failed because so many of the people without children (or whatever their reasoning) thought that educating future generations wasn't a good use of their money.

I am definitely willing to pay more in taxes if it means that schools will be funded, roads will be repaired, that our military will be properly equipped, that people have quality health care. These are the things that make us who we are, and I think that's just the price we pay for being part of this society.

I just don't get what the big deal is anyways. It's not like you can take your money or your things with you when you go.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5147710

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: Honestly, what's the big deal about taxes?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 11:14:28 AM »
margotb822  (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-27-09 11:53 AM
Original message
Aren't they the price we pay for having this society? Police, schools, roads, a military?

If that's all we were paying for, sure; but we're also asked to pay for food stamps, welfare, schooling for people who decide to drop out of school, children whose fathers are allowed to abandon them with impunity, so-called green sciences, retirement plans that are bankrupt before they're due, tuition subsidies that allow colleges to raise their tuition rates, subsidies for every other politically correct fad, teacher's unions, mafia run unions etc etc etc all of which are intended to pad the careers of the pols conjuring these programs rather than actually servinf WE THE PEOPLE.

Even the social policy stuff that is reasonable like education is washed through an overstuffed federal bureaucracy that wastes more money than it spends on its stated purpose.

If you're so big on taxes why do you want to see a finite resource squandered on infinite political ambitions?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 11:34:54 AM »
If that's all we were paying for, sure; but we're also asked to pay for food stamps, welfare, schooling for people who decide to drop out of school, children whose fathers are allowed to abandon them with impunity, so-called green sciences, retirement plans that are bankrupt before they're due, tuition subsidies that allow colleges to raise their tuition rates, subsidies for every other politically correct fad, teacher's unions, mafia run unions etc etc etc all of which are intended to pad the careers of the pols conjuring these programs rather than actually servinf WE THE PEOPLE.

Even the social policy stuff that is reasonable like education is washed through an overstuffed federal bureaucracy that wastes more money than it spends on its stated purpose.

If you're so big on taxes why do you want to see a finite resource squandered on infinite political ambitions?
H5!  Why should we be forced what to fund failure and organized crime.  Maybe those 14 and 15 year old girls getting pregnant would think twice if they were absolutely certain there was no Unca Suga Daddy waiting in the wings when the loser humping them exited stage right.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 11:43:46 AM »

Let's not forgot the amount of taxpayer dollars that go to support illegal immigrants through medical/educational and welfare benefits.

Offline djones520

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 11:57:52 AM »
I didn't realize that Latte machines in highschools where a requirement for society?  And society won't exist if we don't save some swamp mouse.   :whatever:
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 03:41:20 PM »
Quote from:
margotb822

I agree.  You pay mine and we'll forget all about it.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
Let us know when your faces with paying obscene taxes or feeding your kids with the money you earned. We went to war over taxes once and I have no doubt that it could happen again once the burden became to much
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"