Author Topic: William Hay's "Experimenting on a Small Planet"  (Read 68201 times)

Offline BuzzClik

William Hay's "Experimenting on a Small Planet"
« on: April 04, 2015, 12:48:04 PM »
I bought this book some time ago, both in hard back and for my iPad, and I slowly have been slogging through it. It reads like an introductory but highly technical textbook with a bit of a conversational style. And 900 pages.

After an intro chapter and a review of scientific concepts, the book launches into ever deeper scientific subject: light, energy, geochronology. I've made it to chapter 10: The Climate System. Great stuff so far, and highly recommended.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
Re: William Hay's "Experimenting on a Small Planet"
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 01:09:53 PM »
What about it appeals to you so much?
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 01:39:52 PM »

I think he's trying to slide us into a discussion on glowball cooling warming climate diversity.  Establishing his credentials as a great scientific mind and such.

Offline BuzzClik

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 01:59:38 PM »
I think he's trying to slide us into a discussion on glowball cooling warming climate diversity.  Establishing his credentials as a great scientific mind and such.

Frank has touted you as being the most intelligent and best educated person on this board. Here is your chance to engage in a conversation on a scientific subject on an intellectual plane.

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 02:16:40 PM »
Frank has touted you as being the most intelligent and best educated person on this board. Here is your chance to engage in a conversation on a scientific subject on an intellectual plane.

Kool!!!  But, I'm pretty sure the coach has never touted me as being much of anything.  Help me out please, post a link.

Offline BuzzClik

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 02:40:02 PM »
It's not like Frank died or moved where there is no internet. Ask him.

==========

UPON EDIT: Ok, if you don't want to put Frank on the spot, this is my recollection (I couldn't possibly find the link): Bain was over here telling you guys how stupid you were, and Frank intervened. He specifically spoke of you saying that you were highly intelligent, highly educated, and fully credentialed. "He not only has a PhD, he trains people with PhDs." That's what I remember. If I'm wrong, so be it.

Can we move on?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 02:44:55 PM by BuzzClik »

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »
It's not like Frank died or moved where there is no internet. Ask him.
Good idea.  COACH!!! am I the "most intelligent and best educated person on this board"

Offline BuzzClik

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 02:48:48 PM »
<<<you were posting as I was editing ... I'll paste the edits below>>>

UPON EDIT: Ok, if you don't want to put Frank on the spot, this is my recollection (I couldn't possibly find the link): Bain was over here telling you guys how stupid you were, and Frank intervened. He specifically spoke of you saying that you were highly intelligent, highly educated, and fully credentialed. "He not only has a PhD, he trains people with PhDs." That's what I remember. If I'm wrong, so be it.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 02:55:29 PM »

How about we answer the question.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 02:58:29 PM »
<<<you were posting as I was editing ... I'll paste the edits below>>>

So be it --indeed.  As you can see, the Coach doesn't reply to mere minions.

Offline BuzzClik

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 03:03:56 PM »
How about we answer the question.
wasp69 doesn't care about the answer. You and I haven't interacted much, so I'll answer it for you:

The book was written by a brilliant scientist with broad experience. It is scientific exploration of the basis of climate science starting from the very basic concepts and their history building up to present day explorations.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 03:08:01 PM »

Not with you, he can't.  Send someone over who has brains, knows science, doesn't lie, doesn't open with ad hominem and can carry on a decent conversation.

Don't waste your time at DU, such a person does not exist.  You MIGHT find someone at DI (but not among liberals).
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 03:16:22 PM »
wasp69 doesn't care about the answer. You and I haven't interacted much, so I'll answer it for you:

The book was written by a brilliant scientist with broad experience. It is scientific exploration of the basis of climate science starting from the very basic concepts and their history building up to present day explorations.

Not really an answer about what appeals to you so much.  A very generalized response.
So was Bad Dog correct with his assumption?  Or maybe you can explain in a discussion here what really appeals to you about the basis of the book.

Offline BuzzClik

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 03:39:14 PM »
I'm up to section 10.6, about one third of the way through -- page 305 in the hard bound version.

I posted this thread hoping to generate a discussion. Don't read the book. Don't enter the discussion. I don't care.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 03:46:27 PM »
I'm up to section 10.6, about one third of the way through -- page 305 in the hard bound version.

I posted this thread hoping to generate a discussion. Don't read the book. Don't enter the discussion. I don't care.

So you wanted to generate discussion on a book you're reading, yet you discuss nothing about it.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 03:51:37 PM »

Buzz,

I will reward you for striking out in a new direction. Good Buzzy.

For the benefit of those of us who haven't read the book, please describe Dr. Hay's thesis, and why you agree or disagree with it.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 04:50:23 PM »
wasp69 doesn't care about the answer.

If I didn't care I wouldn't have asked the question.

I posted this thread hoping to generate a discussion.

Yet you failed to answer the first question asked.  Pretty silly for someone who was trying to generate a discussion.
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

Offline BuzzClik

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 04:59:33 PM »
Big Dog --

Here's your pic (the page you chose sent your link into la-la land) Thanks, btw.

If I didn't care I wouldn't have asked the question.
Okay. An example: on page 271, Hay describes the discovery of greenhouse gases and how they function.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 05:09:34 PM »
Okay. An example: on page 271, Hay describes the discovery of greenhouse gases and how they function.

Allow me to clarify:  Is it interesting because of the technical aspect?  Is it interesting because the author tunnels down into macro level scientific detail?  Is it interesting because you think it fits your politics?  Is it interesting because you think it's apolitical? 

What about the book interests you the most?

Bear in mind that I've heard of neither the author nor any of his works.

C.S. Lewis

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 05:32:17 PM »
Big Dog --

Here's your pic (the page you chose sent your link into la-la land) Thanks, btw.

Told ya.  Buzzy is going to edumicate us on climate diversity.  Buzzer, are you a big fan of Dr. Paul Ehrlich?  Have you read his book "The Population Bomb".  Other than his theory of glowball "cooling" and his prediction that the earth would be uninhabitable by the mid 90's, He was dead on.  Strangely enough, he is still lionized by climate Nazis.

Offline BuzzClik

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 07:56:27 PM »
Guys, if you don't want to enter into this discussion, fine. I'll talk about the book, the science, or the author. But, I will not talk about the politics surrounding global climate change or my motivations for reading the book.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 08:02:41 PM »
Buzzy, if you are a big fan of the study of the great glow bull warming swindle, we have a whole board dedicated to it.
I wish you would check it out.
I would certainly engage you there.

A recent report from some climate scientists finds that carbon dioxide is not the agent for global warming it has been presented as.
This is information that conservatives have known for a long time.
The "greenhouse gas" theory of global warming is falling apart at the seams, as it should.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2015, 08:20:58 PM »
Guys, if you don't want to enter into this discussion, fine. I'll talk about the book, the science, or the author. But, I will not talk about the politics surrounding global climate change or my motivations for reading the book.

I wouldn't either if I were you Buzzy.  Simple question for you what does your book theorize the climate to be "changing" to?  You also need to keep up with the "science" the current term is "climate disruption" which helps you avoid the above question.  I personally prefer "climate diversity" which allows you to completely ignore actual data and nuisances like East Anglia and other data fudging activities.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2015, 08:30:34 PM »
I wouldn't either if I were you Buzzy.  Simple question for you what does your book theorize the climate to be "changing" to?  You also need to keep up with the "science" the current term is "climate disruption" which helps you avoid the above question.  I personally prefer "climate diversity" which allows you to completely ignore actual data and nuisances like East Anglia and other data fudging activities.

I realize I am not as smart or erudite as you, and so the elitist Buzz may ignore my question, but here goes:

Buzz, what is the proper temperature of the earth, and upon what do you base your answer?
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2015, 08:39:12 PM »
I realize I am not as smart or erudite as you, and so the elitist Buzz may ignore my question, but here goes:

Buzz, what is the proper temperature of the earth, and upon what do you base your answer?

There is elegance and brilliance in simplicity Big Dog.  It also usually cuts to the bone as is your style.