Author Topic: Diablo 3 bandwidth usage, both down and up loads  (Read 17669 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Diablo 3 bandwidth usage, both down and up loads
« on: May 15, 2012, 09:30:53 PM »
This is half inquiry, half rant.

I've been searching for info on how much bandwidth D3 requires, both down and up. I'm on satellite and I'm capped at 17,000 meg down and 5,000 meg. There is no better plan to purchase. There are no other services to choose. Once I exceed the limit, either down or up, my internet is forcibly cut-off via regulatory diktat.

No, I'm not moving.

Yet, every time I search for an answer all I find are stupid answers posing as intelligent ones, i.e. "maybe you should get a better plan."

I know one of you has gotten/will get D3. Please make a reasonable effort to track hourly usage and please report back.

Stupid advice need not apply.

Thank-you
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Diablo 3 bandwidth usage, both down and up loads
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:44:09 PM »
Well, at the risk of posting stupid shit, it looks like D3 has some really cool shit going on, and I might have to get it.  I doubt I will have the same problem you do, but I will do my best to report what I can whilst playing. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »

Bunny wa-a-a-a-ant!"

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Is anyone going to let their moles join the DU guild?  http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002686121

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:30:08 PM »
I'll pass on Diablo 3. I made a vow never to give Blizzard any more of my money after that debacle known as Cataclysm.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 09:36:17 PM »
i have to play it. I've been with the Diablo series almost since Wirt had legs.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 07:47:54 AM »
i have to play it. I've been with the Diablo series almost since Wirt had legs.

It was the first game I ever gave my weekends to.   Ah......memories.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Splashdown

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 07:54:50 AM »
Snugs, I'm not all that bandwith-savvy, but it works fine on the cable modem for me as long as the servers are up.
Let nothing trouble you,
All things are passing;
God never changes.
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 09:57:58 AM »
I'll pass on Diablo 3. I made a vow never to give Blizzard any more of my money after that debacle known as Cataclysm.

Made me quit.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 09:58:38 AM »
i have to play it. I've been with the Diablo series almost since Wirt had three legs.

FIXED
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 04:17:14 PM »
Dammit all to a ptarmigan's tail feathers!!!

Everything I read said the game didn't run real-time if playing single-player. It just periodically verifies itself to make sure haxxorz code is not running in the background. Ergo, latency should NOT be an issue.

I have no reason to dispute this.

I bought the damn thing last night and installed. It looks beautful. It's meant to look like your playing a piece of painted fantasy artwork.

Anyhoo...

...the sumbij is warping and lagging. When i say warping I mean running the same stretch of ground 3 or 4 times and when I say lag I mean I can click the mouse and count one-thousand one, one-thousand two, one-thousand three before seeing the action resolve on screen. It's unplayable. I don't know if this is a latency issue but my hardware is well within specs.

More research I s'pose.

Offline Splashdown

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 04:49:13 PM »
Dammit all to a ptarmigan's tail feathers!!!

Everything I read said the game didn't run real-time if playing single-player. It just periodically verifies itself to make sure haxxorz code is not running in the background. Ergo, latency should NOT be an issue.

I have no reason to dispute this.

I bought the damn thing last night and installed. It looks beautful. It's meant to look like your playing a piece of painted fantasy artwork.

Anyhoo...

...the sumbij is warping and lagging. When i say warping I mean running the same stretch of ground 3 or 4 times and when I say lag I mean I can click the mouse and count one-thousand one, one-thousand two, one-thousand three before seeing the action resolve on screen. It's unplayable. I don't know if this is a latency issue but my hardware is well within specs.

More research I s'pose.

I bought it via download. THAT took forever. I'm playing on a laptop. I don't see much lag at all. It does get slow at times, but not bad. And the graphics are stunning.
Let nothing trouble you,
All things are passing;
God never changes.
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 05:25:18 PM »
I bought the pre-order digital version when it was first available.

Activated it and am playing it at the moment.

So I have some opinions.

The actual game play, graphics and interface is nice. They've done a pretty good job of keeping the good and ditching the bad. My two favourite combat exploits have been negated but not entirely removed. Those being the ability to instantly portal back to town when some mean ass bugthing is stomping a mudhole in your ass and you've run out of potions (the second exploit I used overmuch). Town portal still exists but takes a short while to cast and you don't need to carry the scrolls for it.

The character classes seem to be better balanced and the skill advancement has been reworked in a way that thus far appears to be pretty good.

Items and equipment are also well done - far more so than the previous editions.

I haven't gotten to crafting items yet - so more on that later in the day.

Identifying items has been simplified and you no longer need to cart around a satchel full of identify scrolls.

Now to the bad.... and if you're offended by bad language this is probably where you'll want to stop reading.

**** Battlenet and the lame ass shit pile servers that it runs on.

Bunch of low life ASSHOLES at blizzard won't even let you play a ****ing game you paid good money for without being constantly connected to their busted ass piece of shit servers.

Half way through a boss battle. "Time for a server shut down bro. U MAD ?" <click>.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

They've taken what could be a great game and ****ed it in their desperately greedy attempt to stop piracy - and in the process ensured more piracy because of people that don't want to rely on some busted ass ****ing C64 based pile of shit server that restarts seemingly at random.

Assholes.

ehem.

I'm done now.

<twitch> <twitch>

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 09:17:46 PM »
And that is why I prefer to play in an in-house network, as opposed to online.   

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 10:21:11 PM »
And that is why I prefer to play in an in-house network, as opposed to online.   

Can't do that with this one - which is another major irritation.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 09:22:13 AM »
Can't do that with this one - which is another major irritation.

Oh crap!  That so sucks!!! :mad:

Offline Splashdown

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 09:23:30 AM »
Once the thing calms down a little and the Battle.net stuff gets straigntened out, we'll put together a group, right? RIGHT?  :hyper:
Let nothing trouble you,
All things are passing;
God never changes.
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 09:47:49 AM »
I bought the pre-order digital version when it was first available.

Activated it and am playing it at the moment.

So I have some opinions.

The actual game play, graphics and interface is nice. They've done a pretty good job of keeping the good and ditching the bad. My two favourite combat exploits have been negated but not entirely removed. Those being the ability to instantly portal back to town when some mean ass bugthing is stomping a mudhole in your ass and you've run out of potions (the second exploit I used overmuch). Town portal still exists but takes a short while to cast and you don't need to carry the scrolls for it.

The character classes seem to be better balanced and the skill advancement has been reworked in a way that thus far appears to be pretty good.

Items and equipment are also well done - far more so than the previous editions.

I haven't gotten to crafting items yet - so more on that later in the day.

Identifying items has been simplified and you no longer need to cart around a satchel full of identify scrolls.

Now to the bad.... and if you're offended by bad language this is probably where you'll want to stop reading.

**** Battlenet and the lame ass shit pile servers that it runs on.

Bunch of low life ASSHOLES at blizzard won't even let you play a ****ing game you paid good money for without being constantly connected to their busted ass piece of shit servers.

Half way through a boss battle. "Time for a server shut down bro. U MAD ?" <click>.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

They've taken what could be a great game and ****ed it in their desperately greedy attempt to stop piracy - and in the process ensured more piracy because of people that don't want to rely on some busted ass ****ing C64 based pile of shit server that restarts seemingly at random.

Assholes.

ehem.

I'm done now.

<twitch> <twitch>

You forgot something,

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 02:48:35 PM »
Once the thing calms down a little and the Battle.net stuff gets straigntened out, we'll put together a group, right? RIGHT?  :hyper:

Well -- DUH!

Offline JakeStyle

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 12:02:42 AM »
I just killed the bitch on normal with my OP Witch Doctor.  Looking forward to doing it again on nightmare.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 04:30:07 AM »
I just killed the bitch on normal with my OP Witch Doctor.  Looking forward to doing it again on nightmare.

I've just started on Hell difficulty.

Elite units are nasty.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 08:53:59 PM »
Too much hit lag to play beyond lvl 10.

Doing some research it was widely reported during the beta. Apparently internet latency or system specs are not the cause.

Blizzard seems impervious to widespread complaints.

If you buy this POS you'll be playing Russian Roulette with $60.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 11:40:16 AM »
Made me quit.

Glad I did too. If you think Cataclysm was bad, just wait till the next expansion, Mists of Pokemon.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe