Author Topic: MineralMan: Here's an example of my white male privilege.  (Read 861 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
MineralMan: Here's an example of my white male privilege.
« on: April 13, 2021, 04:43:50 PM »
Star Member MineralMan (137,381 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215329037

Here's an example of my white male privilege.

I went out on a walk in the tiny little unincorporated town in California I lived in for 35 years. It was after midnight.

I stopped in front of the little corner market a few blocks from my house to look at the bulletin board on the front wall of the store, since people posted things for sale and other stuff on it. There was a light shining on it. I had lived there for over 5 years at the time.

So, while I was doing that, a private security guy pulled up, parked and got out of his car and yelled, "FREEZE!" at me. I turned to look at him and he had his hand on his pistol. What did I do?

I looked the rent-a-cop guy in the eye and said, "What the **** are you doing with your hand on your gun? Are you planning to shoot me for looking at the public bulletin on a store I patronize almost every day? What is wrong with you?"

He started in about me acting "suspiciously." I said, "How is looking at a well-lighted public bulletin board suspicious?"

He got back in his car and sped off down the street.

Why? Because I'm a white male. I can do things like that without worrying about some cop or other armed security person mistaking a pistol for a Taser and killing me.

Anyone who doesn't recognize their privilege needs to take another look at themselves.

Because you are trained to have your hand on your weapon on every stop. Period.

the rest is just made up bullshit.
Star Member Haggard Celine (12,528 posts)

7. So he would have given you a ticket

if you'd had a shitty car? Give tickets to the people who can least afford to pay them, then they get warrants out for failure to pay, and ultimately end up in the county jail so they can work off their fines in the privately run jail. This is an evil system and it needs to change.

:yawn:

Rabrrrrrr (57,955 posts)

16. Probably, had he been black and in a shitty car, he'd get a ticket. Black and in a nice car,

he'd have been asked to get out of the car and would have to prove that he actually owned said nice car.

Star Member Haggard Celine (12,528 posts)

22. That's true.

When I first heard about the military man in Virginia who was attacked by those cops, I knew that it was because he was driving that new car. A lot of these cops assume that any black man in a new car is a drug dealer or someone in a gang. They can't even differentiate between a person who is serving his country and some low-life pimp. All they see is color, and that's so awful about them.

No- they stopped it because they couldn't see the transfer tags through the tinted window. THEN The LT chose to act like a ****ing jack-ass and got pepper sprayed for it.

He's lucky he's not my PL.

Star Member TexasTowelie (82,616 posts)

64. Not only that, but they appear to be somewhat color-blind.

The man in Virginia was wearing the khaki green military uniform. Usually I don't take any pleasure when I learn that someone is unemployed, but when the police officer was fired it did make me smile.

:thatsright:

the only time the left pretends to love the military is when they can use them to destroy the country.

Hassin Bin Sober (23,937 posts)

51. I had a cop walk up to the car singing "good morning to you"

I’m not lying. He was really singing.

I was hauling ass through town and didn’t even see him. Late for a meeting.

I was in a brand new expensive car wearing an expensive suit.

He went back to his car with my EXPIRED driver’s license. I figured I was in trouble.

He came back and gave me my expired license back and told me to slow down.

This was a south Chicago suburb. In the next down over where I worked I used to look out my office window watching black people with “10 fingers on the fender” all day long.

It was especially disheartening because a lot these people were most likely on their way to work at the big shopping malls two towns over. It was a pretty heavily traveled route from the south side of Chicago.

Oh and we hired, for security, a lot of these cops outside my window. They were racist ****ing pigs.

:yawn:

4. I generally watch my language on DU.

In other situations, I use language appropriately.

Sure, tough guy. You're a ****ing idiot.

9. Yeah. I one stopped at a traffic light, looked around, and drove on.

Blue lights behind me. I drove into the parking lot at the supermarket I was going to, very slowly and parked. The cop in the police car got out and walked up to my window. No gun. I said, "Brain fart. I was thinking about my mental shopping list and treated that traffic signal like a four-way stop sign."

The cops said, "That stuff happens." She then said, "Try to pay more attention to your driving." Then she drove off. Again, I was a white guy in his sixties who looked like Santa Claus. She didn't even ask for my DL or insurance.

White male privilege once again.

:whatever:

Star Member Solomon (11,071 posts)

59. Ok You were the one claiming Daunte Wright had a warrant for armed robbery.

Now you're complaining that some people can see white privilege at work.

:popcorn:

71. I got out of the ticket because I'm an old white man.

You appear to be missing the point of this thread. Had I been black, it would have been different.

:bs:

Star Member elleng (105,519 posts)

11. 'He got back in his car and sped off down the street. Why?'

because he realized he had no reason to do what it appeared he was about to do, he was/is un-trained, inexperienced, and bored.

13. He got fired shortly after that.

I called the security company, reported the incident, and also told the owners of that small market what had happened. They called as well. They were paying a monthly fee to the security company, as were other businesses in that small town downtown area. They were shocked and alarmed that such at thing could happen.

::)

Mr.Bill (11,904 posts)

12. If you are white, ask yourself this question:

Have you ever been pulled over and when the cop walks up to your car, was the first thing they ask you "Is this your car?" I know black people who say this is common. Never happened to me.

:whatever:

Star Member Ms. Toad (26,213 posts)

20. It's happens to me relatively frequently and

The pattern I'm familar with is that I get pulled over, while they run my license plate I pull out my driver's license and I offer it to them as they walk up to my car.

They glance at it - and depending on which car I'm driving, they ask me if it is my car - since the name on my driver's license doesn't match the name on the car registration if I am driving my spouse's or daughter's car.

But when I am driving my daughter's or spouse's car it is, generally, the first question they ask me. But it is triggered by a mismatch between the driver's license (which offer as they approach) and the car license plate.

Mr.Bill (11,904 posts)

21. Interesting.

Most of the black people I was talking about were driving very nice/expensive cars, like Corvettes or Mercedes Benzes.

:rotf:

Star Member Jilly_in_VA (1,640 posts)

37. My son-in-law has

He's a big Nuyorican guy who climbs cell towers for a living. He frequently drives company trucks which are usually nice ones. He gets stopped in small southern towns even though he is a very careful driver, because of course a brown guy couldn't possibly own such a nice truck (a lot of them aren't marked) so it must be stolen or something. Even if the trucks are marked he must have stolen them. And of course those idiots can't tell a Mexican from a Puerto Rican from a Guatemalan etc. It gets old sometimes.

:mental:

Treefrog (820 posts)

39. No, but every time I've been pulled over they ask for license, registration and insurance.

That lets them know who owns the car right there and then.

Mr.Bill (11,904 posts)

43. What I'm talking about, and what black friends have told me is that question being the first thing they say.

::)

Star Member whathehell (25,665 posts)

26. Um, and here's another: You can actually GO outside at Midnight

with little fear of being raped and killed!

Male privilege...Must be nice.

:thatsright:

33. That is true. The thing about privilege is

that it is unearned. I was born a white male. I recognize my privilege and know that others were born without it.

:thatsright: :thatsright:

McCamy Taylor (19,240 posts)

47. And white blonde female privilege is even worse.

When I am out at night, cops try to protect me.

:thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline thundley4

Re: MineralMan: Here's an example of my white male privilege.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 05:02:34 PM »
Star Member whathehell (25,665 posts)

26. Um, and here's another: You can actually GO outside at Midnight

with little fear of being raped and killed!

Male privilege...Must be nice.

Because rapists prefer to rape women. Go figure.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 06:39:38 PM »
DUmmies trying to out do themselves bragging about their perceived privilege. 

With President Trump out of the White House, they have to amuse themselves somehow
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 07:25:17 PM »
One wonders how much good Minnesota Moses' white male privilege would do him while standing in front of a public bulletin board around midnight in MrsCorpio's neighborhood in inner-city Detroit.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 08:29:08 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215329037

Here's an example of my white male privilege.....

Alex, I'll take "Things that didn't happen" for $200.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 08:46:04 PM »
If you're so guilty Rock Head of such perceived "white privilege", just off yourself and thin the herd of us white folks.  It'll help clear up space for these illegal aliens you're so fond allowing through the border.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline 3rd-try

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 09:16:03 PM »
Lots of conditions, combinations and scenarios about the civilian police "interface". One I didn't see mentioned is: When you're stopped put aside your ego for a few minutes and do exactly as told. There are moments in life where you simply are not in control.  Be smart enough to recognize them. It ain't that hard people!

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 12:18:57 AM »
MM is a democrat, they always lie.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 07:52:21 AM »
How stupid do you have to be to believe you can go walking around the streets of small-town America after midnight, hanging out in front of stores doing whatever, and not look suspicious?

Every time I read one of his little escapades, he just comes across as being even more dumb than he's already made himself out to be.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 08:09:30 AM »
How stupid do you have to be to believe you can go walking around the streets of small-town America after midnight, hanging out in front of stores doing whatever, and not look suspicious?

Every time I read one of his little escapades, he just comes across as being even more dumb than he's already made himself out to be.

I already stated my own question to Minnesota Moses, which isn't likely to get answered because he's got no answer.

Given that the sidewalks and streets of nearly all of America are public areas where one has the right to walk about as one wishes, when one chooses, of course a black dude has the right to walk around Minnesota Moses' hometown late at night.

And unfortunately he might get hassled for it.

One assumes the streets and sidewalks in MrsCorpio's neighborhood are like those in Minnesota Moses' hometown; being public areas, anyone has the right to walk around them late at night.

But if Minnesota Moses exercises that right, he's going to get more than just hassled.

I fail to see how his white privilege protects him.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 08:12:53 AM »
I already stated my own question to Minnesota Moses, which isn't likely to get answered because he's got no answer.

Given that the sidewalks and streets of nearly all of America are public areas where one has the right to walk about as one wishes, when one chooses, of course a black dude has the right to walk around Minnesota Moses' hometown late at night.

One assumes the streets and sidewalks in MrsCorpio's neighborhood are like those in Minnesota Moses' hometown; being public areas, anyone has the right to walk around them late at night.

But if Minnesota Moses exercises that right, he's going to get more than just hassled.

I'd pay money to see that.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 08:25:12 AM »
If he ever read the crap you post, mm, he would have shot your ass.  And gotten a medal.

Nice to see someone is picking up the slack left by TomInTib.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 08:37:03 AM »
The rent-a-cop probably figured MM for a half-lit full-fool and left MM alone. IOW, the rent-a-cop was smarter and wiser than MM and his smart-assery.

If this happened, how many decades ago?

Is MM so peer-dependent that he feels he has to post pathetically weak :bouncy: -tales to get DUmp-Cred? ::)  :tongue:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 10:57:41 AM »

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:59:57 AM by ADsOutburst »

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 11:12:36 AM »

https://youtu.be/FkK0MYD-HcI
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 12:27:23 PM »

I am awaiting a single case of "white privilege" on that thread.  It should be named "The time(s) cop(s) cut me a break." 

Unless and until they can point to two identical situations, including the behavior of the person, where the cops treated a white person different than a colored person this is not illustrative of "white privilege." 

Just show ONE, guys.

In the meantime, I think they mean THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_LeJfn_qW0

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2021, 12:35:31 PM »
Hmmm. Not one of those Dummies demanded that they be written a ticket or taken to the station to counter their so called "white privilege".  ::)
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline SVPete

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2021, 02:12:19 PM »
I rarely get pulled over or otherwise accosted by a police officer. I attribute that infrequency to obeying-the-law privilege, not white privilege.

On the rare occasion I have gotten pulled over I have never been so much as hassled. I attribute that not being hassled to speaking-and-acting-respectfully privilege, not white privilege.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.