Author Topic: Does anyone else despise the acronym GOAT?  (Read 871 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Does anyone else despise the acronym GOAT?
« on: February 23, 2021, 04:04:16 PM »
As in "Greatest of All Time".  Been trying to figure why such nomenclature has invaded our language in the recent past.

Likely it has coincided with the advent of social media and text messages where people are often engaged in acronyms.

Also have a sneaking suspicion that most Gen-Z and Millennial folks have never actually read or studied history.  According to polls about who young people believe is the greatest President of all-time, Obama wins hands down.  Which is I guess understandable given their age and a general political leaning from that generation, but totally baffling in reality.

Was just curious if anyone else found this lazy acronym awful.

Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: Does anyone else despise the acronym GOAT?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 04:36:48 PM »
I thought acronyms are a symbol of white supremacy...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 04:37:23 PM »
Kids remember Obama's wife because she tried to jam them with goat-food lunches... that stuck to the plate upsidedown.

I'm indifferent to the use of 'GOAT'.  If I want to type or say 'greatest of all time', I'll just say 'greatest of all time'.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 05:48:20 PM »

Oh yeah, I remember reading that in recent months.  Just figure liberals think everything is white supremacy.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 05:50:06 PM »

Are acronyms a symptom of 'white supremacy culture?' SFUSD makes another disputable decision

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- First the San Francisco School Board decided to rename 44 schools because they are named after people with ties to racism or slavery. Now the Arts Department has taken a bold move by changing its name, "VAPA" because they say, "acronyms are a symptom of white supremacy culture."

The director of that department said, "We are prioritizing antiracist arts instruction in our work." So they got rid of the acronym "VAPA," which is short for visual and performing arts.

In a letter, he explains that acronyms are a symptom of white supremacy culture.

"The use of so many acronyms within the educational field often tends to alienate those who may not speak English to understand the acronym," he added.

That's based on a 1999 paper written by author Tema Okun titled "White Supremacy Culture." Okun told me that, "Our culture perpetuates racism when things continue to be written down in a certain way."

https://abc7news.com/sfusd-renaming-schools-board-meeting-san-francisco-school-sf/10229093/

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 06:36:45 PM »
Are acronyms a symptom of 'white supremacy culture?' SFUSD makes another disputable decision

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- First the San Francisco School Board decided to rename 44 schools because they are named after people with ties to racism or slavery. Now the Arts Department has taken a bold move by changing its name, "VAPA" because they say, "acronyms are a symptom of white supremacy culture."

The director of that department said, "We are prioritizing antiracist arts instruction in our work." So they got rid of the acronym "VAPA," which is short for visual and performing arts.

In a letter, he explains that acronyms are a symptom of white supremacy culture.

"The use of so many acronyms within the educational field often tends to alienate those who may not speak English to understand the acronym," he added.

That's based on a 1999 paper written by author Tema Okun titled "White Supremacy Culture." Okun told me that, "Our culture perpetuates racism when things continue to be written down in a certain way."

https://abc7news.com/sfusd-renaming-schools-board-meeting-san-francisco-school-sf/10229093/

Whiskey Tango Alpha Foxtrot??????????????????????? :wtf2:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 06:58:33 PM »
Mercy!  I can't take, nor keep up with, anymore acronyms from the left.

My poor head is filled with them.

However; my favorite one to them from the past,  even 'though I don't use it would be ...

"FOAD!!!"   It makes me laugh each time I see it directed to the fools!  >most-enjoyable-evil-grin< 

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 09:15:59 PM by ABC-2 »
Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 07:18:27 PM »
When I see the word GOAT in regards to sports, I think along the lines of Bill Buckner in the 86 World series.

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 07:19:58 PM »

I'm indifferent to the use of 'GOAT'.  If I want to type or say 'greatest of all time', I'll just say 'greatest of all time'.

I must really be out of the loop ... I didn't even know what it stood for.  *blush*

Now that I do, I agree with you Drafe!
Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 07:49:19 PM »
How about they learn to speak English if they plan on living here and want to feel included
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline NJCardFan

• Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 02:22:46 AM »
When I see the word GOAT in regards to sports, I think along the lines of Bill Buckner in the 86 World series.
And you would be incorrect. Buckner was as directly responsible for that loss as Steve Bartman was to the Cubs losing game 6 of the 2003 NLCS. By the time the Buckner play happened, Boston pitching has succeeded in blowing a 2 run lead with 2 outs in the bottom of the 10th. In fact, Boston blew the lead on 3 different occasions. They led by the scores of 2-0, 3-2, and 5-3. All 3 times their pitching gave up those leads including Roger Clemens. The 10th was particularly egregious because with 2 outs and leading 5-3, the rest of the inning went like this: Single, Single, Single...on an 0-2 count(run scores, runner reaches 3rd), wild pitch(tying run scores, runner on first to 2nd), E3 on 3-2 count(winning run scores). So, the game was already blown by that point. And let's not forget that the Red Sox had a 3-0 lead into the 6th inning in game 7. So, to blame Buckner is just plain silly.
Leftism Is A Bottomless Pit Of Absurdity

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 09:07:23 AM »
And you would be incorrect. Buckner was as directly responsible for that loss as Steve Bartman was to the Cubs losing game 6 of the 2003 NLCS. By the time the Buckner play happened, Boston pitching has succeeded in blowing a 2 run lead with 2 outs in the bottom of the 10th. In fact, Boston blew the lead on 3 different occasions. They led by the scores of 2-0, 3-2, and 5-3. All 3 times their pitching gave up those leads including Roger Clemens. The 10th was particularly egregious because with 2 outs and leading 5-3, the rest of the inning went like this: Single, Single, Single...on an 0-2 count(run scores, runner reaches 3rd), wild pitch(tying run scores, runner on first to 2nd), E3 on 3-2 count(winning run scores). So, the game was already blown by that point. And let's not forget that the Red Sox had a 3-0 lead into the 6th inning in game 7. So, to blame Buckner is just plain silly.

Had Cubs shortstop Alex Gonzalez not let a ball go through his legs, the Cubs might have won the World Series in 2003 instead of waiting until 2016 to finally break the, ahem, Billy Goat curse.  The Bartman thing was a sideshow and canard.

And you're right about Buckner being maligned unfairly.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 07:34:12 PM »

But to this day, many people still refer to Buckner and Bartman as goats.  People seek someone to blame.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 09:00:23 PM »
But to this day, many people still refer to Buckner and Bartman as goats.  People seek someone to blame.

You especially might enjoy this, Mr. "Hundley".  Longtime sports broadcaster Brian Kenny did a series on ESPN called "5 reasons why you can't blame..." for certain sports incidents and events.  I'll post the Bill Buckner one shortly.  The episodes are about 22 minutes long (no commercials) were very well done.

Here is the Bartman one, "5 Reasons Why You Can't Blame Steve Bartman"

https://youtu.be/D6RPHVF-mko

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 09:01:32 PM »
And the "5 Reasons Why You Can't Blame Bill Buckner" episode:

https://youtu.be/5lEIVDX8gCA