Author Topic: How many of those 80,000 Staples jobs Romney created resulted in mom and pop  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
applegrove

How many of those 80,000 Staples jobs Romney created resulted in mom and pop stationary stores

Last edited Fri May 25, 2012, 05:32 PM USA/ET - Edit history (2)

going under and losing those jobs? And isn't that just another transfer of wealth to the very rich?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/125140342

How many mom and pop businesses have gone under since 0bama took over?

Arneoker
5. Personally it doesn't matter to me whether I shop at Staples or a Mom and Pop

as long as the store is good. But a good point has been raised. Did Romney really create jobs with Staples? Perhaps not, if you consider the overall!

And in further bending over backwards to grant him the benefit of the doubt, I think that his career at Bain was perfectly legitimate. (Both Obama and Biden have pretty much granted the point. Of course, whether government should be granting that industry such a free hand, or favoring them with tax breaks, is another matter.) But it was Romney who brought up his career there in the first place, because he said that he knew how to create jobs. But all that he has really shown is that he knows how to create wealth for the partners at Bain (I'm not really sure that Bain or most other private equity firms are even all that hot in making money for their outside investors). We need someone focused on creating jobs for the rest of us.

That leaves 0bama out, he has had 3 and a half years to create jobs for the rest of us.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
The unspoken message is that the ones using the term "very rich", want to transfer their wealth from them at the threat of a pointed gun.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
applegrove

How many of those 80,000 Staples jobs Romney created resulted in mom and pop stationary stores

Last edited Fri May 25, 2012, 05:32 PM USA/ET - Edit history (2)

going under and losing those jobs? And isn't that just another transfer of wealth to the very rich?

How many horse and buggy's went out of business when the car came along? it's called progress.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline obumazombie

How many horse and buggy's went out of business when the car came along? it's called progress.
There's still a strong demand for buggy whips, I've heard.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Raise your hand the last time you saw a "mom and pop" stationary (sic) store.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline obumazombie

Actually my Uncle used to be a partner in one. "The paper Mill". Cute name. It did some pretty good business. Good location in a strip mall in a small town outside of Albany. BSS might know where I'm talking about.

Offline Chris_

Sounds like a nice store.

There are quite a few local stores here that are not Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or Jo-Ann's, but to take this DUmmy at his word lends credibility to their silly claim that Boogeyman Capital went raging across the country like Godzilla leaving ruined communities in its wake.  The nature of business is cyclical, even without the meddlesome interference of government.  If a few Staples stores closed, too bad.  Maybe Staples could have been a better store.  I hear the same thing is happening to Best Buy after being king of the hill for nearly a decade.  Tough cookie, BB.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
The desktop computer and all its available peripherals and software probably did more to kill mom 'n' pop office supply stores than anything else.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline obumazombie

I really have a nostalgia to return to the smoke signal.

Offline Chris_

The desktop computer and all its available peripherals and software probably did more to kill mom 'n' pop office supply stores than anything else.
They're finally getting it right. 

It's funny, I had a conversation with one of the VPs at work about old technology circa 1986-1996.  Newtons, PDAs, brick-sized cell phones and clumsy touch-screen monitors.  All this stuff that was promised to us by science fiction is finally here but everyone takes it for granted now and grumbles for more.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
I really have a nostalgia to return to the smoke signal.

Are you expecting to have a conversation with Elizabeth Warren?

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Actually my Uncle used to be a partner in one. "The paper Mill". Cute name. It did some pretty good business. Good location in a strip mall in a small town outside of Albany. BSS might know where I'm talking about.

The name sounds vaguely familliar.  Which town?  Also, I'm kinda partial to the carrier pigeon.  Smoke signals are so . . . well, environment-unfriendly. :tongue: :fuelfire:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
When I moved to what I now call the old hometown at the age of 14, there was a nearby regional-chain grocery-- let's call it Fogarty's.

Couple years later they sold out to another regional chain-- let's call it Garamond's-- and the quality slipped just a hair.  (By the way, there are still "Fogarty's" stores around the area, but I've never seen another "Garamond's".)

Few years later, they sold the store to yet another still extant chain, call it "IFC".

Then the super evil super Wal-Mart came into town, and the "IFC" folded like a Japanese fan.

And all the people that used to work at "IFC" died in a ditch and the building became a refuge for rats and voles and an infestation of wetas on holiday from New Zealand-- no, wait.  Most of the employees got on with Wal-Mart, and the old Fogar-Gara-IFC building reopened--

--as a large Mom-n-Pop specialty, high-end grocery with stuff Wal-Mart doesn't carry.  Hired more people, too. 

Net effect:

Not one but two decent grocery stores within 3/4 of a mile of each other;
If one doesn't have what you're looking for, the other one will, and a case of microbrew to wash it down;
Just about double-plus-half the number of people at the old store now employed between the two stores.

Your mileage may vary, but my experience is the big stores provide the impetus for the little ones to adapt, improve, or get out of the way of entrepreneurs with new ideas.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
WTF is a "mom and pop stationery store"? Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen one.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline zeitgeist

http://www.democraticunderground.com/125140342

How many mom and pop businesses have gone under since 0bama took over?

That leaves 0bama out, he has had 3 and a half years to create jobs for the rest of us.

Let me just quickly interject a note about the loss of one the Jeep dealers in the area.  General Bull and Government Motors took care of their friends in the auto bail out.  Those like the dealer in Stratham NH, (Gils IIRC) who proudly displaid a huge American flag got a kick in the ass with a frozen boot. Ditto the bond holders.  Never forget the time when markets were truly free.  This was their death knell.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
The consumer killed the mom and pop stores.

Stupid consumers!
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Kyle Ricky

Hey DUpster ass plungers. Obama has a negative job growth (negative 1 million to be precise, and the first president in history to do such). Romney has a positive job growth, over 100,000 I believe? So yeah, you are right. NOT! Stupid people.  :loser: Every one of you are being added to the suicide watch list.

Offline obumazombie

The name sounds vaguely familliar.  Which town?  Also, I'm kinda partial to the carrier pigeon.  Smoke signals are so . . . well, environment-unfriendly. :tongue: :fuelfire:
Elsmere. I hate it when the pigeons fly through my smoke signals. A lot of the nuance is lost.

Offline Zeus

Anyone ever seen a Super Walmart or a Super HEB or a super Kmart all by it's lonesome , or are there numerous strip malls , restaurants etc built up around them .

Those places don't run themselves ya know.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline thundley4

http://www.striglos.com/about-us/timeline/