Author Topic: primitives spread Christmas cheer by guilting each other over Christmas lights  (Read 1048 times)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10141295777

Wed Dec 23, 2015, 08:29 PM
Star Member Judi Lynn (99,396 posts)

US Christmas lights use more energy than entire countries

Source: Agence France-Presse

US Christmas lights use more energy than entire countries
December 23, 2015

American household Christmas lights, a favorite holiday tradition, use up more electricity than some poorer countries—such as El Salvador or Ethiopia—do in a year.

Bright lights strung on American trees, rooftops and lawns account for 6.63 billion kilowatt hours of electricity consumption every year, according to a recent blog post by the Center for Global Development.

That's more than the national electricity consumption of many developing countries. El Salvador for one, uses 5.35 billion kilowatt hours, while Ethiopia consumes 5.30 billion and Tanzania 4.81 billion.

The researchers, Todd Moss and Priscilla Agyapong, used data from a 2008 US Department of Energy report and the World Bank to carry out their research.

Read more: http://phys.org/news/2015-12-christmas-energy-entire-countries.html#jCp

Wed Dec 23, 2015, 08:35 PM
Star Member KentuckyWoman (852 posts)
1. I wonder

how much electricity the DU burns up in a year.

Between all the servers and connected devices.....

Yes, but that's for the "cause".  Never you mind that. 

Wed Dec 23, 2015, 10:13 PM
15. Could be, if we didn't come to DU we'd be driving our hot cars around, cruising, hangin' out,

doing street racing, attending truck pulling contests, burning up far MORE energy than you could shake a stick at!

Or maybe not.

The trolls would be out burning crosses, of course, desecrating ethnic religious buildings, and peeping in windows, etc.

A tepid cave shoutout. 

Wed Dec 23, 2015, 08:43 PM
xfundy (4,928 posts)
3. L.E.D. lights?

I've been told they use only 7cents a year. Was I lied to? (Wouldn't be the first time.)

Wed Dec 23, 2015, 08:49 PM
msongs (38,114 posts)
4. beats spending that $$ on those pesky poor, hungry, and/or homeless people nt

Wed Dec 23, 2015, 08:50 PM
PSPS (5,711 posts)
5. What a silly article

El Salvador has 6 million people and 93% electrification.
Ethiopia has 93 million people and 26% electrification.
Tanzania has 49 million people and 15% electrification.

So, what is this silly article supposed to tell people? Are people in the US supposed to feel "guilty" because they put up christmas lights?

I believe that was the whole point of the thread, yes.  You guys buy, sell, and trade in guilt. 

Wed Dec 23, 2015, 09:13 PM
Star Member snappyturtle (14,543 posts)
8. Bingo! I will NOT feel guilty about Christmas lights. I binge at

Christmas-time. Love it. I friend of mine in an old western suburb of Chicago went out last weekend to view the lights. She has lived in the same location for 51 years and has never seen as many lights as this year! Spending is down in buying Christmas presents but maybe people are more willing to spend some on lighting. I think it's great.

Wed Dec 23, 2015, 11:17 PM
cantbeserious (10,012 posts)
20. Riddle Us This - Why Should Americans Get A Pass On Climate Change Inducing Sparkling Lights

eom

Thu Dec 24, 2015, 11:09 AM
Star Member snappyturtle (14,543 posts)
30. Nope...not feeling guilty. I use all LED and have recycled everything the

recycle center takes for 25 years. I drive less than 1200 miles ANNUALLY. I can't make my footprint any smaller.

Have to ask how you feel about the White House Christmas display? or the MIC? or the excessive travel of politicians? Sparkling lights make me feel good....damn few things do that for me these days. My <30 day use of lights is not troublesome to me.

Wed Dec 23, 2015, 10:17 PM
17. Maybe the stupid journalist was thinking in terms of energy used for non-essential purposes.

It's pretty likely there isn't a lot of money spent for things like this in poor countries, even if they were able to get electricity everywhere. They still couldn't possibly afford it.

Wed Dec 23, 2015, 08:51 PM
LeftyMom (48,185 posts)
7. With the LED lights on I don't need the porch and walkway lights.

I'm sure it amounts to about the same usage as having those on in the evenings the rest of the year. I can't really avoid some sort of outdoor lighting, I have a weird walkway and I don't want somebody wandering off of it and hurting themselves or squashing my landscaping.

I leave my lights on so the homeless don't fall off the sidewalk, too. 

Wed Dec 23, 2015, 09:48 PM
Star Member LiberalElite (10,177 posts)
13. I have two strings of lights outside and I donate to an organization that.

among other projects, provides solar powered flashlights to people in the Third World. It's called Sourcepoint Global Outreach. Check out the photos that show people who are absolutely thrilled to receive these flashlights. It's life changing for them.

http://sourcepointglobaloutreach.org/how-you-can-help/

A flashlight in every pot!

Wed Dec 23, 2015, 09:59 PM
Star Member Duckhunter935 (10,854 posts)
14. switched to all led

Look better and much less lectricity

I only decorate with C9 bulbs because they use gobs of electricity, and they look better than those fruity glowing LED lights.

Thu Dec 24, 2015, 12:38 AM
GGJohn (8,437 posts)
23. Yeah? So what?

The only primitive worth having a cup of coffee with chimes in, GGJohn.

Thu Dec 24, 2015, 05:21 AM
Star Member Nihil (13,055 posts)
24. That's basically how the US acts about climate change too.

Maybe the point of the OP is that it is pathetic how much electricity (= money = resources = pollution)
is regularly wasted by the privileged few on such a trivial & pointless purpose ...?

Thu Dec 24, 2015, 07:46 AM
GGJohn (8,437 posts)
25. Only the privileged few put up Christmas lights?

Thu Dec 24, 2015, 08:17 AM
Star Member Nihil (13,055 posts)
26. Comparatively speaking (i.e., with reference to the OP article), yes. (n/t)

Thu Dec 24, 2015, 08:26 AM
GGJohn (8,437 posts)
27. So only Americans put up Christmas lights?

No other citizens in other countries put up Christmas lights?

I do like this primitive. 

Offline thundley4

I like using the big old bulbs that put out as much heat as they do light. If I'm wasting energy, I want to do it right.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
I like using the big old bulbs that put out as much heat as they do light. If I'm wasting energy, I want to do it right.

Exactly.

Also, those old bulbs put off pastel colors that you can't find in new sets of the same C9 size.  The ebay primitives would love to get into my attic of old Christmas stuff.   

Just don't touch them, or they'll burn the skin off your fingers. 

Offline SVPete

So, who is the Center for Global Development? Just another guilt-tripping lefty think tank bent on guilt tripping Western nations who got that way by hard work into dumping money into third-world hell-holes. An example from the Wikipedia page linked above: "CGD is well known for leading debt-relief programs, specifically in Nigeria and Liberia." And, how have Nigeria and Liberia fared? To ask is to answer!

So I seriously doubt the CGD's fact-claim about US Christmas light energy consumption. How I think they "calculated" it:

* One operative pulled from between his glute cheeks the number of Christmas lights Americans use every year;

* Another operative-ette pulled the number of hours the lights are on daily from her over-used ...;

* A third team of operatives calculated the usage using Common Core Math;

* A CGD PR flack trebled that number, just to make it sound more impressive and guilt-worthy.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
Hey, lurking DUmmies. My Christmas lights are pyres of old-growth Redwoods which would work for a Viking funeral.

If Smokey the Bear comes around to get in my shit, I'll barbecue his ass on my Christmas pyre, and enjoy his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
You know, I haven't been to a good old lynching or cross burning in a while. I blame it on anticipation of the new Star Wars movie.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
Hey, lurking DUmmies. My Christmas lights are pyres of old-growth Redwoods which would work for a Viking funeral.

If Smokey the Bear comes around to get in my shit, I'll barbecue his ass on my Christmas pyre, and enjoy his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Hannibal, is that you?
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline DUmpsterDiver

At 29,000 volts, a tree across the line may as well be a copper wire.  Sure is pretty to watch.

Offline Big Dog

-Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12

I hope that you're using old Goodyears as a fire starter, with diesel fuel as an accelerant!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline I_B_Perky

You know, I haven't been to a good old lynching or cross burning in a while. I blame it on anticipation of the new Star Wars movie.

I blame it on obumbles.  Country done gone to hell in a hand basket!!! The only lynchings going on now are cops and the EPA banned burning wood.  Whats a card carrying racist to do for fun now?  <kicks dog, hits wife and kids, drinks booze and passes out watching reruns of All in the Family>**

**For the dummies... this is satire. I am making fun of your stereotypes of people like me.  Sad part is I had to actually tell you this. F'n' losers.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Big Dog

I hope that you're using old Goodyears as a fire starter, with diesel fuel as an accelerant!

I wouldn't have it any other way. It gives the spotted owl meat a special zing!
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
used data from a 2008 US Department of Energy report and the World Bank to carry out their research.

:o

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline thundley4

Electricity for Christmas lights bad, but electricity for high powered lights to grow pot good.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10027474974