Author Topic: Cheese Sauce  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Cheese Sauce
« on: September 17, 2010, 03:21:46 PM »
This looks like it would be a good base for soup or fondue.  I'm not a huge fan of Velveeta... it just doesn't taste like cheese to me.  I did notice the "Mexican" section at Wal Mart's grocery sells a #10 can of nacho cheese sauce but I was concerned about storing it and keeping it fresh.  This looks like a good alternative.

My wife, in case you haven't noticed, is an odd sort of bird. For starters, simply getting married to me was a questionable act; I don't have all that much to offer. I've got barely any money. My slim figure and good looks left me long ago (right about the same time as the 500th hamburger). I steal the covers when I sleep. I forget to put the toilet seat down (that's if I even remember to flush it in the first place).

What I can promise her, on the other hand, is that if there is any food in the world she desires, I will not rest until she is inundated in mountains of it. And what, you may ask, does my fair wife wish to be drowned in? Foie gras? Truffles? Links and links of natural casing Sabrett's hot dogs?

Nope. Just one thing: cheese sauce. The ooey, gooey, velvety smooth, shiny, silky, hot, tangy, and salty goo that chain restaurants and movie theaters ooze over their fries, hot dogs, and nachos.

One of the true tests of cheese sauce is how it reacts after it cools down a bit. I let one cup of the Fudd's sauce sit on the table while we enjoyed our burgers (their burgers are shockingly good), then retested for consistency by pouring it over my fries.
The Burger Lab

Apparently, the secret is shredded cheddar cheese tossed in corn starch and melted with evaporated milk over a double boiler.  I use a medium saucepan and a large steel bowl for my double boilers.  They don't mention a specific recipe, but I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to concoct without one.  If you haven't tried cheese fondue yet, shame on you.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Re: Cheese Sauce
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 03:45:04 PM »
My favorite burger topping is red onions, diced jalapenos, cheese sauce, and sour cream (or creme fresh if you live in the barrio).  Tasty, tasty stuff.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 03:52:39 PM »
Isn't the Fritos Jalapeno-Cheddar sauce just the same thing?
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:56:48 PM »
Dunno... never tried it.

The last time I had cheese fondue, it was basically cheese sauce, chicken broth, and a little white wine added to it.  It was really good.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »
Dunno... never tried it.

The last time I had cheese fondue, it was basically cheese sauce, chicken broth, and a little white wine added to it.  It was really good.

Wait...WHAT?! Chris...man...you gotta fire some of that up. I'm sure I could make a homemade version that was better, but for straight out the can, it's pretty good.

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 04:19:34 PM »
http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/fritos-jalapeno-cheddar-cheese-dip.html

This stuff?  I saw it at the store... it looks okay.  I'll give it a shot.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 04:22:05 PM »
http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/fritos-jalapeno-cheddar-cheese-dip.html

This stuff?  I saw it at the store... it looks okay.  I'll give it a shot.

Yeah, slap that on a burger or chili-cheese fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 04:23:32 PM »
My brother hasn't called me today.  Might as well head to the store for some junk food and a movie.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 12:38:17 AM »
If one can't use REAL cheese, like cheddar, swiss, blue cheese, etc.,  (not this American cheesefood that they try to call, "cheese"), on a burger, then one doesn't DESERVE to be eating said burger. I don't eat Arby's because they use some sort of bastardized "cheese sauce"....
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson