Author Topic: Crockpot recipes  (Read 9653 times)

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
Crockpot recipes
« on: September 03, 2010, 06:13:39 AM »
Do any of ya'll have any easy crockpot recipes? Cowboy still don't want me usin the stove. I still have some problems choppin anything up fine.
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
Re: Crockpot recipes
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:59:17 AM »
Hi Ree -- there are some really good ideas in this thread you may want to try:

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,47453.0.html

(About halfway down the 1st page I had asked if anyone had some good crockpot ideas . . .)
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 04:07:36 PM »
Hi Ree -- there are some really good ideas in this thread you may want to try:

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,47453.0.html

(About halfway down the 1st page I had asked if anyone had some good crockpot ideas . . .)
Thanks
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 08:33:50 PM »
I was at Costco today and saw a triple crock pot setup... three pots in a row on a triple heater thingy. It was like 70 bucks. Great if you run an Indian buffet.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »
I was at Costco today and saw a triple crock pot setup... three pots in a row on a triple heater thingy. It was like 70 bucks. Great if you run an Indian buffet.
I've seen one of those...but the crocks are really small...
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:57:45 PM »
I have this crockpot. Bought it at Big Lots for $20 a couple of years ago:

"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 03:00:47 PM »
What's with the multiple pots?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 03:11:28 PM »
What's with the multiple pots?

Different sizes for different needs or less people.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 04:04:27 PM »
Ree, do hope you are recovering nicely from that awful accident.
I LUV this crockpot recipe cuz it requires darn little effort.

Put 2 1/2 lbs, or thereabouts, of round steak, cut into serving size pieces (you really don't even need to do that step cuz the meat falls apart in the crockpot).  Add 1/4 cup of water, 1 dry onion soup mix packet and 1 1/2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, topping the round steak as evenly as possible.

Cook on low heat 6-8 hours.

I serve it over mashed potatoes and with green peas.  Potatoes come from instant flakes and the peas from a can.  Easiest dinner evah!
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 04:06:40 PM »
ooooh, that looks good. :yum:

I remember you posted this earlier but I couldn't find it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 04:14:30 PM »
Ree, do hope you are recovering nicely from that awful accident.

I serve it over mashed potatoes and with green peas.  Potatoes come from instant flakes and the peas from a can.  Easiest dinner evah!

Canned peas........ :puke:

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 04:15:34 PM »
ooooh, that looks good. :yum:

I remember you posted this earlier but I couldn't find it.

Cris, you may've been remembering the recipe I posted for oven bbq spareribs:

Cook 5-6 lbs of pork spareribs in a shallow roasting pan at 350 for 45 minutes.
Top with the sauce (drain fat from pan if you want-I leave it in though)
Sauce is made of 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar; 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce; 1/2 cup soy sauce; 1/4 cup cider vinegar; 1/4 cup chili sauce; 1/2 cup ketchup; 2 tsp French's yellow mustard; 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced (I simply put in a bunch of freshly prepared minced garlic from those little jars in the produce section); and 1/8 tsp black pepper (or you can get real and dump in enough pepper to actually make a difference!)

I actually double the ingredients for the sauce so the ribs are still nice and moist after spending all day in the oven...

So you've baked the ribs for 45 minutes, turn off the oven and pour the sauce over said ribs.  Leave them set in the turned off oven for 4 hours, turning and basting with the sauce every 20 minutes or so.  Then turn your oven back on at 250 and cook the ribs another 2 pr 3 hours, again turning them every now and then to keep soaking in the sauce.  When you can't turn them over without meat falling off the bones, you're done.

Or, you can quit a little before then.  The meat will still be excellently tender.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »
Canned peas........ :puke:

Admittedly they aren't too great, but you don't really notice their lack of flavor because of the really excellent mushroom and onion sauce that cooks up in the crockpot.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 04:17:41 PM »
Cris, you may've been remembering the recipe I posted for oven bbq spareribs

No, it was definitely the pot roast.  Well, it was either you or Mike, but your recipe looks pretty similar.

And I like canned peas. :tongue:

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 04:25:18 PM »
No, it was definitely the pot roast.  Well, it was either you or Mike, but your recipe looks pretty similar.

And I like canned peas. :tongue:

Well, twasn't moi who posted a pot roast recipe.  I had just been heading back over to this thread anyway to apologize for misspelling your name, Chris.  Sorry. :thatsright:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 04:26:23 PM »
That's okay.  It probably was Mike, then.  I think he stole your recipe... I'd go kick his butt.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 10:38:49 AM »
Day 142.

Last weekend I went through the pantry and put like items together. Since I had helpers, it took a really long time, and it sort of looks the same way it did when I started, but I now have a pretty good idea of our inventory.

We have a surplus of garbanzo beans.

So I made falafels.

In the crockpot.

I've never made falafels before, but figured if it didn't work out, at least I'd have a nice story to tell.

But it worked! I am ecstatic to have a new meal to put in our repertoire--a light and healthy dinner to have on a warm evening.

The Ingredients.
I pretty much followed the recipe I found for Sean's Falafels on Allrecipes.

- 1 15oz can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
-1 T dried parsley
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 egg
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 2 t ground cumin
- 1 t ground coriander
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- juice from 1 lemon (that's a lemon. a weird looking lemon, but a lemon nonetheless)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup bread crumbs (I have bread crumbs made from a loaf of Trader Joe's brown rice bread that I keep in the freezer)
- 2 T olive oil (for the bottom of your crock)

The Directions.

Take a deep breath. It looks like there are a lot of ingredients, but this comes together awfully quick. I seriously only spent 25 minutes from start to finish. The hardest part was getting all the spice bottles arranged for the photo.

Drain garbanzo beans. Dump them into a mixing bowl and smash them with a fork. Set aside.

Get out your blender or food processor (I used our vitamix. I love that thing!). Blend together all of the spices, the onion, the garlic, the egg, and the lemon juice.

Pour on top of your smashed garbanzo beans. Use your fork to mix together, and add the breadcrumbs slowly until the mixture is wet and sticky but can be formed into balls nicely. I needed 3/4 of a cup of breadcrumbs.

Pour 2 T of olive oil into the bottom of your crockpot stoneware insert.

Form squished golf-ball sized patties of falafel. Dip each side into the olive oil and then nestle into your crockpot. It's okay if they overlap or are on top of each other.

Cook on high for 2-5 hours. Ours cooked on high for 3.5 hours--you will know that the falafels are done when they turn brownish-golden. You can flip them halfway through the cooking time if you feel like it, but they will brown on top even without flipping. (I know. I don't get it either.)

Serve with yogurt sauce or mayonnaise. I made a quick yogurt sauce with Greek yogurt, celery seed, dill, salt and pepper and lemon juice.
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/05/crockpot-falafel-recipe.html

Offline debk

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 03:24:14 PM »
Canned peas are illegal in 57 states..... :uhsure:

Nothing, absolutely nothing, will make a canned pea edible.  :puke:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 03:32:44 PM »
I like canned peas -- I just don't overcook them.  I heat them at a low temperature, enough to warm them but not enough to overcook them or boil the water and they come out fine for me.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 04:49:55 PM »

:II: :bow: :bow:

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 05:55:13 PM »

On the other hand, whirled peas is something we should all be working toward. :tongue:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 06:05:24 PM »
On the other hand, whirled peas is something we should all be working toward. :tongue:

You can have your "whirled peas". All you need is a food processor or a blender.........

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 03:04:58 AM »

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 01:40:33 PM »
Making split pea soup in the crock pot today, plus trying Cindie's bread recipe in the bread machine. Everything is doing its thing, just have to wait a couple more hours.

Split Pea Soup:
1 lb package split peas
2 cups diced ham (one of those almost-a-pound ham steaks works perfect)
3 carrots, peeled and diced
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic minced
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper
4 cups hot water
2 cups chicken broth

Layer in crock pot in this order, do not stir. Cover and cook on High for 4-5 hours, or Low 8-10 hours.

Discard bay leaves.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 03:09:29 PM »
Making split pea soup in the crock pot today, plus trying Cindie's bread recipe in the bread machine. Everything is doing its thing, just have to wait a couple more hours.

Split Pea Soup:
1 lb package split peas
2 cups diced ham (one of those almost-a-pound ham steaks works perfect)
3 carrots, peeled and diced
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic minced
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper
4 cups hot water
2 cups chicken broth

Layer in crock pot in this order, do not stir. Cover and cook on High for 4-5 hours, or Low 8-10 hours.

Discard bay leaves.

Where is Cindie's bread recipe?
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent