Author Topic: Cabbage at its best  (Read 2850 times)

Offline KittenClaws

• Probationary (Probie)
Cabbage at its best
« on: May 30, 2010, 06:33:45 PM »
I'm not a big cabbage fan, but this is some good stuff.   Amounts are approximate, it's really to taste.

1 head of cabbage
1 stick of butter (not margarine)
1/8 cup liquid smoke
1 tablesppoon garlic powder
1/8 cup worschestire sauce

Remove stem and cut cabbage head in 1/2.

soften butter, add liquid smoke, garlic powder and worschestire together to form a paste.  put paste in center of cabbage halves, wrap cabbage halves securley in foil.  place on BBQ pit, turning frequently, for 1 hour.  Same time if in oven at 425.

Good stuff!

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: Cabbage at its best
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 07:43:25 PM »
I'm not a big cabbage fan, but this is some good stuff.   Amounts are approximate, it's really to taste.

1 head of cabbage
1 stick of butter (not margarine)
1/8 cup liquid smoke
1 tablesppoon garlic powder
1/8 cup worschestire sauce

Remove stem and cut cabbage head in 1/2.

soften butter, add liquid smoke, garlic powder and worschestire together to form a paste.  put paste in center of cabbage halves, wrap cabbage halves securley in foil.  place on BBQ pit, turning frequently, for 1 hour.  Same time if in oven at 425.

Good stuff!

Darn that sounds good, can Brussels Sprouts be cooked the same way ??

Offline KittenClaws

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 07:48:47 PM »
Darn that sounds good, can Brussels Sprouts be cooked the same way ??

I don't know, sounds good though.  Of course, you can't core out a bunch of brussel sprouts, you'd just  have to put the paste over the lot of them.  Think I'lll try it and report back.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 11:43:32 AM »
The only edible cabbage I know of is in cole slaw.......
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »
Scalloped Cabbage.

Slice cabbage into wedges and boil (not completely)

Place in a cooking dish.

Combine Cream of Mushroom Soup, Cheese Whiz, and a chopped jalepeno. 

Cover cabbage with above, and sprinkle paprika on top. 

Bake in 350 for about 30-45 min.

(I will be trying your way next time I bbq.)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 12:34:13 PM »
The only edible cabbage I know of is in cole slaw.......

Try this:

In a dutch oven combine one large white onion sliced, , 4-5 brats (whole, I use Johsonville's), 7-8 small red potatoes quartered, S&P to taste. Cover with a large jar of Stienfelds Sauerkraut and then pour a bottle of dark beer over the whole thing. Simmer over a fire covered for approx 1 hour or until the potatoes and brats are done.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline debk

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 12:45:19 PM »
Cut a large cabbage in wedges....

Put in a big pot with enough water to cover, several cubes of chicken bouillon or several tablespoons of the granules...enough to give the water a yellow cast. Onion powder, pepper....NO SALT.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook until it's texture is the way you want it. I cook it until it's pliable, but not totally broken down.

Take out of the broth, put some butter and a bit of vinegar on top. Balsamic, cider, tarragon, or garlic are all good....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 06:47:41 PM »
I stew my cabbage.

Saute some bacon in olive oil, then add chopped onions.
Cut up cabbage and throw it in the pot. 
Add some diced tomatoes,
S & P
Add 1/2 vegetable buillon cube (or chicken)
Add water to pot to cover half of the cabbage

Simmer for about 35 minutes until cabbage softens.

Sorry, no measurements...

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 08:49:16 AM »
Try this:

In a dutch oven combine one large white onion sliced, , 4-5 brats (whole, I use Johsonville's), 7-8 small red potatoes quartered, S&P to taste. Cover with a large jar of Stienfelds Sauerkraut and then pour a bottle of dark beer over the whole thing. Simmer over a fire covered for approx 1 hour or until the potatoes and brats are done.

Try adding some caraway seed to the kraut before cooking. It's the ONLY way I really like kraut.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 11:04:29 AM »
Try adding some caraway seed to the kraut before cooking. It's the ONLY way I really like kraut.

Never tried that, but when this is done the kraut is semi-sweet.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline soleil

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 06:21:39 PM »
My husband loves cabbage any kind of way it is prepared. I, however, do not. On New Year's (about the only time I eat it), I do it simple simple simple. And it ruins any nutrients it ever had, but it is good. I fry up some bacon, but I don't cook it all of the way, and remove it. I put my chopped cabbage into the bacon grease (not a lot of grease) and let it simmer. Add the cut-up bacon and finish cooking, and voila, edible and actually yummy cabbage.

I do like cole slaw sorta kinda.