Author Topic: primities don't understand basics; can't figure it out  (Read 874 times)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
primities don't understand basics; can't figure it out
« on: March 13, 2010, 01:32:13 PM »
Quote from:
Winterblues

Are Republicans just too stupid to understand this basic fact?

Insurance companies are in business to make money. They do not do that by paying lots of claims....Figure it out.......

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=389&topic_id=7894655&mesg_id=7894655

The largest denier of medical claims is............. Medicare.  Figure it out.

http://blog.heritage.org/2009/10/06/medicare-largest-denier-of-health-care-claims/

Quote from:
DarthCheney

1. just like they don't understand this statement

The larger the pool, the cheaper the cost.

Negative.  There is a saturation point beyond which adding additional money into the pool doesn't change anything.  If an insurance company has 10 million customers, then it already has enough people paying into the pool to cover any expenditures.  Adding an additional 10 million customers only creates double the amount of money going into the pool and double the amount of new expenditures.  Now, make it where insurance companies have to cover people with pre-existing conditions, force them to offer it at a price they can afford, and you have to charge everyone else more to make up the difference of what the mandated customers can't afford.  So no, the cost goes up.

Primitives, stay away from economics and business models.  You're too stupid to understand.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: primities don't understand basics; can't figure it out
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 01:46:55 PM »
They will also never acknowledge the fact that nationally, insurance companies make around 2% profit, and that is accomplished by "managing risk"........if the government steps in and removes risk management by enforcing mandates on who can be covered, and for what.......there are only two outcomes:

.......vastly increased cost

or

.......vastly reduced services....

There are NO alternatives....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 01:51:10 PM »
I won`t pretend to understand all the regulations but I suspect that every insurance company has to have a reserve pool of a certain size in ratio to number insured to guarantee the ability to pay claims for all.

That takes a lot of money and is part of where profits land.

In other words if a premium is say 5000.00/year per person but one claim is 50,000.00 it can`t be a pay as you go system.
They have to make a profit or they won`t be able to pay the claims.
I have no idea the exact accuracy of my figures but it is to make a point that I have not once seen DUmmys even recognize in the thousands of health care threads they post.

Their notion of things is that there is a doctor that does a job and gets paid an undefined amount from an undefined (yeah I know,tax the rich) source in a facility that pays for all staff,utilities and liability insurance with money that just exists and so on.

The day one of these nitwits wants to sign up here and get a lesson in real life economics I will be happy to talk to them but since they prefer to live in a fantasy world they can all just kiss my ass.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 01:55:12 PM »
In that other thread about giving social security to those 55 and full benefits for part time work... a DUmmie said don't think about where the money comes from, think about the flexibility.

lol

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 02:10:47 PM »
Well.....the part of this discussion that I don't understand is this:

This entire "Health Care Reform" scam has the express purpose of providing coverage for approximately 30 million Americans that have no coverage (we know this is a lie, but lets work with it for a moment).  Now assuming the 30 million number is correct, I have read that:

.....40% of the "uninsured" are young people that have made an affirmative decision not to carry coverage, as they are basically healthy, and choose to self-insure and take the risk (and use the funds for other purposes).....their decision.

.....28% of the "uninsured "are "illegal immigrants" who do not belong in this country to begin with......my heart does NOT bleed for the illegals....they are here, and there appears to be little that I can do about it, but paying for their health care is a "slap in the face" to all productive Americans......let them pay for their own care.....or go home.....

.....32% of the "uninsured" are people that are simply "between jobs", and have marketable skills that will eventually land themselves a job with benefits somewhere else......they just happen to be included in the data when the "snapshot" is taken......

That leaves 10% of the hypothetical "30 million" that are truly out there without health care........or approximately 3 million.......

Wouldn't we be far better off financially as a country, if the government simply issued "grants" to these people to buy a basic policy, and forget the whole thing?

Problem solved.......

Or could it be that........this entire effort isn't about health care at all.......it's about CONTROL.......

doc
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:27:28 PM by TVDOC »

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 02:46:15 PM »
That is the entire issue in a nutshell TVDOC.
Roughly 10% of the population are not covered but fixing that if it really even needs to be addressed is not the point.

Social Security has been a hot button,third rail issue for my adult life but that has worn off.
Accusing someone of cutting their SS just doesn`t work anymore for dems in campaigns because no one takes it or the program serious anymore.
It is going to default and most of us my age (45) and younger will be faced with having paid in a lot of money and will get nothing in return.
I think that has become the accepted position today.

They need a new issue to replace that and lo and behold health care fits the bill.
"Don`t vote for him/her...they want to take away your health care."

It is what it is all about and nothing more,dependency on government and an issue to ensure liberal voting.

Offline kenth

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 02:59:19 PM »
They will also never acknowledge the fact that nationally, insurance companies make around 2% profit, and that is accomplished by "managing risk"........if the government steps in and removes risk management by enforcing mandates on who can be covered, and for what.......there are only two outcomes:

.......vastly increased cost

or

.......vastly reduced services....

There are NO alternatives....

doc

I was at my mother's house the other night, flipping through channels. (We don't have cable or satellite anymore.) MSNBC of course was pulling for the "health care" plan by listing how much profit a couple of the Big Insurance companies made last year. Naturally, they didn't list a percentage of profit, but a number in billions of dollars.

I can't imagine not understanding the numbers and the media's reasons for listing it that way. But they know their target audience, economically illiterate dummies who will be enraged at the numbers.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 03:43:24 PM »
whiteguyPI, please check your personal messages.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 04:40:39 PM »
I was at my mother's house the other night, flipping through channels. (We don't have cable or satellite anymore.) MSNBC of course was pulling for the "health care" plan by listing how much profit a couple of the Big Insurance companies made last year. Naturally, they didn't list a percentage of profit, but a number in billions of dollars.

I can't imagine not understanding the numbers and the media's reasons for listing it that way. But they know their target audience, economically illiterate dummies who will be enraged at the numbers.

It's the same shit with health insurance companies today as it was with oil companies 2 years ago....

The media throws out a number in X amount of billions of "profit", but doesn't put in into perspective....

For instance, Alphabet News Network reports that BA Oil company made $50 billion in "profits", never mentioning that amounted to about 8 cents/gallon sold.  Also not mentioned is that at the same time the federal government made $150-200 billion in taxes....

I don't recall when the word "profit" became profane, but I don't like the fact that it has....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 05:11:19 PM by diesel driver »
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 05:01:21 PM »
DarthCheney

1. just like they don't understand this statement

The larger the pool, the cheaper the cost.

I would venture a guess (SWAG) and say that the biggest drain on an insurance companies resources are fraudulent claims. Just look in the Poverty section at the DUmp and they share secrets on how to file medical claims for Social Security. If they would cheat the federal government, an entity they adore, what do you think that they would do to an insurance company, an entity they detest?

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 07:04:42 PM »
Or could it be that........this entire effort isn't about health care at all.......it's about CONTROL.......

In years gone by.....all we heard the media and the liberals talking about was "smoking", and how evil it was, and how it needed to be constrained because it "costs the taxpayers" billions in health care costs........

Now all we hear the media and liberals talking about is "obesity" and how evil it is, and how much it "costs the taxpayers"......

After they "demonize" eating what we want, wonder what will be next?

I used to scratch my head and wonder......"since I pay for my own health insurance (or my employer does).....how the hell does that cost the taxpayers a dime"?.......short answer......it doesn't.......but it makes an interesting soundbite, and it reinforces the "narrative" that government needs to control more and more of our private lives......so it doesn't cost the taxpayers........

What we will NEVER hear from the media and the liberals is......the average lifespan of a homosexual male is 48 years......how much does THAT lifestyle "cost the taxpayers"??

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 12:22:50 AM »
Figure this out:

You rail incessantly about a healthcare industry that makes more money than it expends so how can you convince us that what you want ObamaCoup to give us is a healthcare system that expends more money than it takes in.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."