Author Topic: Miskie's Sweet Tea -- So easy a even a DUmmy can make it.  (Read 6047 times)

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Miskie's Sweet Tea -- So easy a even a DUmmy can make it.
« on: June 12, 2008, 06:47:50 PM »
Automatic Drip Coffee pot with 12 cup decanter
1 cup of sugar
1 tray of Ice Cubes
3 bags of Tea -- Nothing Fancy, or loaded with Bergamot -- Lipton is perfect
1/2 gallon container.
(optional) Lemon

setup your coffee pot for making a full 12 cup serving, but instead of putting coffee in the filter, put the three teabags in the bottom of the filter basket.

Brew as you normally would coffee.
Immediately after its finished, dump one cup of sugar into the pot, and stir until it is totally dissolved.
Add ice cubes to your 1/2 gallon container, then pour tea into it. Stir vigorously, then refrigerate.

After its nice and cold, pour into a tall glass with ice, garnish with lemon wedge.

The trick with the coffee pot is critical - If you allow the tea to steep for too long, it gets too dark and bitter for Iced Tea. Its also important to make sure that the sugar is totally dissolved before you add the mix to ice, else the sugar will separate out.

*Edit: -- I just noticed the Recipe subforum -- I suspect this need to be moved there

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 07:09:31 PM by miskie »

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Miskie's Sweet Tea -- So easy a even a DUmmy can make it.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 08:43:23 PM »
I drink unsweetened iced tea with lemon and fresh mint (if available).  I do like it strong.  If I can see the ice cubes, it's too weak. 

BTW, I have a teamaker. 

Iced Tea:  The house wine of the south!   

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 08:46:02 PM »
I just buy a bucket of chicken from Miss Winner's and they give me a gallon of iced tea for free.  What could be less difficult than that?   :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 08:52:52 PM »
I just buy a bucket of chicken from Miss Winner's and they give me a gallon of iced tea for free.  What could be less difficult than that?   :-)

A gallon of Red Diamond at Wal-Mart.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 08:54:08 PM »
Personally, I can't drink enough iced tea during the summer - I usually make it a gallon at a time, and the Missus makes a raspberry tea in similar quantity. All winter long I drink Earl Grey, Black with sugar. No light passes through that tea ;) -There is a small tea company, Barrows, that I get the Earl Grey from. Its the best I ever had.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 10:49:12 PM »
Personally, I can't drink enough iced tea during the summer - I usually make it a gallon at a time, and the Missus makes a raspberry tea in similar quantity. All winter long I drink Earl Grey, Black with sugar. No light passes through that tea ;) -There is a small tea company, Barrows, that I get the Earl Grey from. Its the best I ever had.
I recently quit drinking coffee. Four days of migraines followed by two weeks of what felt like a slight concussion. Now I'm ready to sample some teas. All I've made so far is Lipton and some brand named "Celestial".
Any recommendations for a reformed coffee drinker?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Flame

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 07:03:08 AM »
I make iced tead all the time...usually justp lain ole regualr tea, but I love raspberry and peach and mint teas, too.   Most of my household drinks it unsweetened, though.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 12:30:55 PM »
I drink unsweetened iced tea with lemon and fresh mint (if available).  I do like it strong.  If I can see the ice cubes, it's too weak. 

BTW, I have a teamaker. 

I drink unsweetened tea as well.  I prefer with a little lemon, but I'll drink it plain too.

I use 4 of the little Lipton bags and a big pitcher.  :)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 05:50:55 PM »

BTW, I have a teamaker. 

I drink unsweetened tea as well.  I prefer with a little lemon, but I'll drink it plain too.

A while back I was at a KFC of some such place where one can refill one's teacup.  The unsweetened vessel was empty, so I thought I could stand a bit of sugared tea.

I had to spit it out!  It was iced sugarwater with a hint of weak tea!  I suppose that is how the public likes it or it would not be that way.  Ugh.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 05:54:37 PM »

BTW, I have a teamaker. 

A while back I was at a KFC of some such place where one can refill one's teacup.  The unsweetened vessel was empty, so I thought I could stand a bit of sugared tea.

I had to spit it out!  It was iced sugarwater with a hint of weak tea!  I suppose that is how the public likes it or it would not be that way.  Ugh.

My mom never put sugar in the tea when I was growing up.  Yeah I hate it when they accidentally give me sweet tea, it's like drinking a soda, too sweet!
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 05:57:33 PM »
My husband likes it really, really sweet. He's run me off from the tea pitcher now. I'm too lazy to make a second one with the right amount of sugar instead of that "I need insulin" stuff he likes. I drink mostly water and coffee now.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 06:04:24 PM »

My mom never put sugar in the tea when I was growing up.  Yeah I hate it when they accidentally give me sweet tea, it's like drinking a soda, too sweet!

Quote from: DixieBelle
My husband likes it really, really sweet. He's run me off from the tea pitcher now. I'm too lazy to make a second one with the right amount of sugar instead of that "I need insulin" stuff he likes. I drink mostly water and coffee now.

When I was a kid, our dinnertime tea was not sweetened in the pitcher.  We were allowed to add a spoonful of sugar to our glass and stir. 

Dixie, tell your husband it is possible to sweeten tea by the glass and he can use as much as he wants. 

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 06:16:15 PM »
Oh we tried that. :-) It's too hard. Apparently he doesn't want to take the time to stir all of that sugar. Goodness knows it looks like a cup of sand with a little bit of liquid in it when we're out in a restaurant. He claims it never dissolves unless you put it in while its hot.

Sigh. The man will do laundry. I can live with no tea :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 07:57:36 PM »
Just in the last year, I have been able to drink a sweet tea...could never stand it before.

My favorite is still plain  fresh brewed lipton, no sweetner or sugar, with lemon.

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 06:53:17 PM »
I recently quit drinking coffee. Four days of migraines followed by two weeks of what felt like a slight concussion. Now I'm ready to sample some teas. All I've made so far is Lipton and some brand named "Celestial".
Any recommendations for a reformed coffee drinker?

I have two favorites

Constant Comment
Darjaleeng  (sp)?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 06:57:25 PM »

My cousin is the opposite.  She just sort of waves the teabag over the glass and if a little tea happens to form, then so be it.   :uhsure:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 06:57:48 PM »
I have two favorites

Constant Comment
Darjaleeng  (sp)?
I had to look that up, Bigelows right? I'll pick some of that up next time, thanks!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 07:01:40 PM »
I have two favorites

Constant Comment
Darjaleeng  (sp)?
I had to look that up, Bigelows right? I'll pick some of that up next time, thanks!

The Constant Comment is Bigelows, a spice tea.