Author Topic: Hostess Bakeries closing the doors because union went on strike- You own it  (Read 11503 times)

Offline BigTex

Re: Hostess Bakeries closing the doors because union went on strike- You own it
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2012, 11:21:39 AM »
some gems from the hostess going out of business thread http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021830337

apparently it was hostess' fault for making snack foods.

geckosfeet (7,827 posts)
1. That fine American institution of sugary snacks and horrible white bread going out of business!?

That's a shame.

Loss of jobs is not good - but a business based on providing people with terrible horrible disgusting food items was doomed from the start. It's not good when your customers all develop diabetes and other diet related disorders.

Sedona (1,410 posts)
4. Its sad for the employees

but honestly, this is shit food that no life form should ingest. Maybe if Hostess hadn't manufactured empty calories that poisoned our kids they would still be around. I can only hope this becomes a trend with other junk food companies.

Sunlei (370 posts)
32. perhaps the employees can take over the business

Or open new better quality breads companies.

bake real cakes and breads without those shelf life extenders and corn syrups of doom.

hlthe2b (44,613 posts)
8. How many type II diabetics owe their lot to Hostess?

Just sayin.....

hlthe2b (44,613 posts)
92. GOod Lord... Hostess and its fiber free highly processed white bread and sugary products are

emblematic of the very diet that has caused obesity and its accompanying risk for type II diabetes. Did twinkies cause it? No, but eating this crap to ultimate obesity, along with our society's sedentary lifestyle-- leads to insulin resistance. Inform YOURSELF.

One DUmmy is not buying it

Floyd_Gondolli (687 posts)
114. Of course that's not what I wrote

We get it. You're from Colorado. Fittest state in the country. You climb 14k peaks backwards and can do 1,000 push ups with one hand. You look down on all the lowland types with their BBQ and snack cakes. Message received.

and  a tin foil theory

DCBob (14,186 posts)
62. I suspect that is their plan to liquidate and reacquire the trademarks and start a new company..

which will be non-union.

Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2012, 11:35:06 AM »
There's another Hostess thread here, with more comments and stuff:

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,80907
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2012, 11:37:15 AM »
some gems from the hostess going out of business thread http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021830337

apparently it was hostess' fault for making snack foods.

You know what--I'll bet the primitives' per-capita consumption of these snack foods way exceeds the average per-capita consumption.

Bought with food stamps, of course.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2012, 12:07:39 PM »
DCBob (14,186 posts)
62. I suspect that is their plan to liquidate and reacquire the trademarks and start a new company..

which will be non-union.

One would most certainly hope so.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Karin

« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2012, 12:14:22 PM »
Look at them, all heartless and highhanded.  Sniffing and clucking about healthy food.  DUmbasses, we've seen your picture threads.  You're enormous.

You also need to see what the rest of the internet and real world are saying. 

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2012, 12:16:14 PM »
I don't believe I've dined upon a Hostess Ho-Ho or whatever in my life; sweet stuff doesn't appeal to me.

But when I head to town later today to get a haircut, I'm going to the convenience store to pick up a package, so as to get a taste of vanishing Americana.

Get cha a Twinkie. Even if you don't want to eat it today, it has a shelf life of about 200 years.  :-)
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »
Oh my yes.

There's many people nationally who make a living from Hostess, as salesmen and delivery drivers.

I know of three in this area, and I don't suspect they're the sorts of jobs that are included in that 18,500.

All one has to do is look at any ghost town near an abandoned silver mine. Not everyone worked in the mines. It spurred all kinds of different businesses to support the miners. Same with a military installation. I had a debate with this STUPID liberal on my sports board about the I.T. tech revolution in the 90's and how it caused the economic prosperity in the 90's and how Clinton had VERY little to do with it, and may have harmed it. His response? He used raw numbers of the people that actually worked in the I.T. industry and said that it had nothing to do with it.

This IDIOT could not understand the correlation between the workers in the industry and all the ancillary jobs created FROM said industry. It's the basic disconnect with liberals. They're not exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer. It's why it's so easy to get them riled up over a yacht without actually taking the damn time to realize that A) those rich people aren't driving the boats themselves, they hire crews, B) they have to be fueled, which takes transportation, refinery workers, etc., C) they have to be stocked with food and beverages, adding to that industry, D) they have to be cleaned, janitorial industry, E) they have to be maintained and serviced, adding to that industry, F) they have to be moored, adding to that industry and the owner of the marina and the people he/she employs, and on and on and on. That one yacht produces more damn jobs than ANY f'n sillyass moonbat "hobby lobby" like TomInTib's stupid puppet shop.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »
I'll be surprised if panic buying hasn't stripped the shelves bare.

Expect a thriving secondary market on eBay.

Another gift from the jug-eared muslim - $10 Twinkies.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=excedrin&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2012, 12:28:47 PM »
and  a tin foil theory

DCBob (14,186 posts)

which will be non-union.

I don't think that's tin foil at all.

Who ultimately acquires the trademarks and recipes could be any similar company.

If any of the Hostess brands can be sold at a profit, someone will buy them and do it, and it's almost certain that it will be non-union.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2012, 12:31:24 PM »
Why do liberals hate twinkies and hohos? Perhaps hostess should start its own ad campaign ala big bird style lol

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2012, 12:33:29 PM »
The offer by Hostess:

The Union Gives

1) 8% pay cut in 2013
2) 3% pay raise in 2015
3) 1% pay raise in 2016

The Union Gets

1) 25% ownership of the company
2) 25% control of the Board of Directors

The union decided to **** over 18,000 workers for the 5,000 idiots they represented. **** unions.

The bolded is what got me. I guess they didn't want that because they know how union workers work?
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2012, 12:37:29 PM »
geckosfeet (7,827 posts)
1. That fine American institution of sugary snacks and horrible white bread going out of business!?

That's a shame.

Loss of jobs is not good - but a business based on providing people with terrible horrible disgusting food items was doomed from the start. It's not good when your customers all develop diabetes and other diet related disorders.

Hostess was founded in 1930 retard! But yes you're right it was doomed as is every other business making a profit with you dickheads running the country!
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
Why do liberals hate twinkies and hohos? Perhaps hostess should start its own ad campaign ala big bird style lol

Show them killing Twinkie the Kid, perhaps?

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »
Hostess was founded in 1930 retard! But yes you're right it was doomed as is every other business making a profit with you dickheads running the country!

If Hostess went out of business because people didn't want sugary junk food, the DUmmies might have a point.  But they didn't.  They went out of business because the workers were greedy.  They were offered a guaranteed raise for the next three years, but that wasn't enough.  Does anyone know what the actual union demands were?

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2012, 12:45:52 PM »
Show them killing Twinkie the Kid, perhaps?

Yep that will work.  Again I say, why do liberals hate Twinkie the kid? :(

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2012, 12:48:20 PM »
My favorite was 86'ed years ago. It was called "banana Flip".
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline BigTex

« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2012, 01:00:16 PM »

I don't think that's tin foil at all.

Who ultimately acquires the trademarks and recipes could be any similar company.

If any of the Hostess brands can be sold at a profit, someone will buy them and do it, and it's almost certain that it will be non-union.

That might happen but to say that was the "plan" of the ownership all along is a bit tin foil, and if the trademarks are sold to someone else then it wouldnt exactly be a good plan for the owners of Hostess
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=excedrin&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Dang another opportunity I missed out on.  I could have sped up to the outlet store an bought 'em out but no, I had to clean the stove.   :thatsright:

It is true enough as you said earlier.  DUmmies have no sense of economic reality.  I was thinking about this the other day as I reflected on something a kid I grew up had said about being a paper boy.  How much I learned as an independent contractor and at such an early age.  As a paper boy you (and I started when I was in the third grade) had to: Learn the route and where your customers wanted their paper put, which dogs would tear your leg off and which would lap you to death, who would 'forget' to pay you on payday, and who would or would not tip you, you had to maintain records of who paid and then on payday you had to know how much you owed for the papers with any left over amount being your profit for the week.

Some weeks you might have more people 'forget'* to pay you than you paper bill would cost meaning you had to make up the difference from previous profits and tips. Some people would tip you a cookie, or apple, others only tipped at Christmas with Gingerbread Men.  I still have a black bow tie I kept all these years.  Black bow ties were very popular as a tip at Christmas, I collected dozens.  I got to keep a penny a paper for each one delivered. I also had to pay for any spoiled.

I learned that people appreciated good service and most would pay a little extra for it.  I learned that I had to budget my money for those weeks when the bag was short.  I learned you had to pay your supplier first.  DUmmies who never had that experience, who had everything handed to them, never got that education.  I never had an allowance, sometimes my paper money went to pay the milk man.  DUmmies had everything handed to them and think that is the way it should be.

*some people only got paid every two weeks.  Some were forgetful, others needed the money for other things...

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2012, 01:10:25 PM »
If Hostess went out of business because people didn't want sugary junk food, the DUmmies might have a point.  But they didn't.  They went out of business because the workers were greedy.  They were offered a guaranteed raise for the next three years, but that wasn't enough.  Does anyone know what the actual union demands were?
The company asked them to take a 2% pension cut from what i understand...... :banghead:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2012, 01:16:47 PM »
Does anyone know their average hourly wage.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2012, 01:17:42 PM »
The company asked them to take a 2% pension cut from what i understand...... :banghead:

Well, being unemployed is clearly the better option  ::)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2012, 01:18:10 PM »
Just got back from the grocery store and the Hostess shelf is empty, as is the wonder bread.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2012, 01:24:36 PM »
Just got back from the grocery store and the Hostess shelf is empty, as is the wonder bread.

It's incredible.

Hostess survived the Great Depression, but it's not surviving Barack Milhous.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2012, 01:30:49 PM »
It's incredible.

Hostess survived the Great Depression, but it's not surviving Barack Milhous.

I really hope they come back, my Mom loves wonder bread, and their donuts and I usually buy them for her as a treat.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »
The primitives need not fear; boxes of Hostess products now available on eBay.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/16/boxes-of-twinkies-ho-hos-going-for-100-and-more-on-ebay/

With Hostess shutdown, boxes of Twinkies, Ho Hos going for $100 and more on eBay

One box of Twinkies has a starting bid of $49.99, with a “buy it now” price of $89.99......

I dunno if eBay sellers take food stamps, though.
apres moi, le deluge