Author Topic: Let's Bash the Pledge!  (Read 7602 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Let's Bash the Pledge!
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2012, 07:15:46 AM »
DUpid moments

And that phrase earns you an H5 from me.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline movie buff

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2012, 07:40:12 AM »

Are we hoping to influence DU in a positive direction, and gathering  evidence that the mission is extremely challenging?  Are we seeing DU as beyond hope, and hoping to find ammunition to create bad PR for everything associated with the Democratic Party?

Pretty much.
1) DU represents the far lunatic fringe of the American left. Most of them are people who have no interest in changing or being led on a different direction from what they're currently on. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. There are a couple okay people on it, but they always end up getting shouted down by the psychos and radicals that make up the vast majority of its membership.
2) The DUmmies in particular would not listen to us on anything, because of how we mock and parody their site.
3) This site is not about changing the minds of DUmmies; It's about highlighting and mocking the more deranged threads on DU, and in so doing, exposing the American far left for what it's truly like, something the liberal mainstream media deliberately avoids doing out of fear of making the left look bad.
4) The Democrat Party doesn't need our help creating bad PR for itself; They're more than capable of doing that on their own.

Offline Karin

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2012, 07:58:15 AM »
hoping to find ammunition to create bad PR for everything associated with the Democratic Party?

That would be more in line with my way of thinking.  I don't think they can be "influenced in a positive direction."  The more insane, outrageous, and stupid nuggets of theirs, I broadcast over the internet, wherever I can, just to show people what a demokrat is. 

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2012, 09:49:25 AM »
When little kids are out on the playground, playing on the swings and Jungle Jim, and the slide, they line up to get a turn to go down the slide.  First, Josie goes up the ladder, the other kids watching, and when she sits down on top, and wriggles forward to begin her trip down the slide, Jimmy begins his ascent up the ladder for his turn down the slide.  This is the way the teacher showed them so that they will all get their turn on the slide.  They know that it's not fair for someone to "butt in" the line out of turn, ahead of someone else.  They shout: "Hey, no fair".  That's just the way they do it.  It's the way they all learned that this is the way it's done.  And when the teacher blows the whistle, they know that recess is over, and that it is time to go back into the classroom.  The teacher said she doesn't want everyone trying to get in the door at the same time, so they have to line up to get in the door.  That's the way it's done.  Early in the mornings, the teacher says its time to all stand up and say the pledge of allegiance.  They all know what to do.  They all stand together, and put their hand over their heart, and follow along with the teacher.  Little Troy knows all the words now, and can say all of them, one right after the other without stumbling.  Some still look over at others to see if they are doing it right, smiling self-consciously, but they are doing it all together, happy with their joint efforts with their classmates.  They don't know exactly what they are saying, or why.  They do it because it is a class project that the teacher showed them, and they are happy to participate, contributing their voice to the whole.

As they grow older, they move from the smaller grades to high school, and when it is time to say the pledge of allegiance, they know the words, and what to do.  I still remember the words: "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America; and to the Republic for which it stands; One Nation, under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."

It was all so simple back when we were kids.  We just got up from the chair, and stood up and put our hand over our heart and said the words.  Many still say the words without thinking.  All around are up on their feet saying the words.  It is much like a favorite hymn in church, or The Lord's Prayer.

There are many in this country who don't know The Lord's Prayer.  They have learned differently about a God, and recite their own words that they have learned as a child.  Their religious beliefs are quite different from those of the majority in this country.  Some say that the minority must adapt to the ways of the majority.  In Ireland, the Catholics and Protestants are still at war with each other.  In the Middle East, the Muslims and Jews are at war with each other.  Religious Intolerance has been a bane of many societies, and continues.  So what's the answer??? TOLERANCE!!!  Nobody is just like somebody else.  We all differ.  What is accomplished by getting mad at somebody because he is different?  And because another is different, are we going to make him change to conform to our views?  How are we going to do that?

At sporting events, and patriotic gatherings, people rise up at the announcement of the pledge of allegiance, and recite, by rote, the familiar incantations.  Some have examined into the history of this country, and religions, and see things differently than most.  I have studied our history, and realize that this country was not founded on the principles of subservience to a king, such subservience being rejected in the flight from Britain to the shores of America.  The terms "sovereign", and "subject" were rejected in our society, in favor of the hierarchical arrangement as delineated in Article Ten of the Bill of Rights, which shows that the people retain all of the powers not granted to a State, or the States creation, the United States.  We rejected the notion: "Hail to the King."  Why should we now embrace: "Hail to the United States"?

The term "allegiance" is described in the Webster Dictionary: "The tie or obligation of a subject to his sovereign or government; the duty of fidelity to a king, government, or state."

Considering the term allegiance, and the hierarchical relationship between the people, the State, and the federal government, as recorded in Article Ten of the Bill of Rights, the pledge of allegiance to the flag, and to the United States, should be abolished. All who work for government should be required, every morning, to pledge their allegiance to the people whom they serve; and to reaffirm their oath to uphold the Constitution. This would be a daily reminder of their status, and their servile position. It is predictable that their attitude would change.

All of that bluster and bullshit to say that pledging your loyalty to the very symbol that represents our freedoms, our way of life, and the Republic for which it stands is somehow a bad thing and should be done away with because it somehow makes us "subjects to a sovereign".  You even went so far as to post a definition that somehow or another is supposed to convince us that a show of loyalty to our colors that men and women have shed rivers of blood in defense of is unworthy of truly free men and women.

Nice...

Let me show you something, and make sure you pay attention to the bolded parts:

al·le·giance  /əˈlidʒəns/ Show Spelled[uh-lee-juhns]
noun

1.  the loyalty of a citizen to his or her government or of a subject to his or her sovereign.

2.  loyalty or devotion to some person, group, cause, or the like.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/allegiance

We are not swearing fealty to a king, you simpleton, we are showing and reaffirming our loyalty as citizens.  We are also showing that while we are free individuals, we are not so self centered as to forget that it is our loyalty as citizens to our flag and the "Republic for which it stands" that keeps this country free and keeps our armed forces ready to exercise the will of those loyal citizens at a moments notice.

The oath to the Constitution that you think should be reaffirmed every day is a specific oath that has specific legal meanings and connotations.  That oath is reaffirmed by those with the heart and character to continue their duty to the loyal citizens of this Republic and needs reaffirmation at the time they are renewing that commitment; usually every 3 to 6 years.  So, no, that would be an unnecessary gesture that would cheapen the true meaning and intention of that oath.

Let me take this brief moment, at the cusp of this Memorial Day Weekend, to state very simply that you can take that wordy insult that you vomited onto your keyboard and stuff it straight up your ass.  It was an intellectually dishonest insult to all those who have bled and died under that banner for your right to be an insipid twat who can't see far enough past himself to understand what those memorized words actually mean.

Sincerely,

wasp69
USN (retired)
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2012, 09:53:25 AM »
Hi-5 Wasp.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2012, 09:54:02 AM »
All of that bluster and bullshit to say that pledging your loyalty to the very symbol that represents our freedoms, our way of life, and the Republic for which it stands is somehow a bad thing and should be done away with because it somehow makes us "subjects to a sovereign".  You even went so far as to post a definition that somehow or another is supposed to convince us that a show of loyalty to our colors that men and women have shed rivers of blood in defense of is unworthy of truly free men and women.

Nice...

Let me show you something, and make sure you pay attention to the bolded parts:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/allegiance

We are not swearing fealty to a king, you simpleton, we are showing and reaffirming our loyalty as citizens.  We are also showing that while we are free individuals, we are not so self centered as to forget that it is our loyalty as citizens to our flag and the "Republic for which it stands" that keeps this country free and keeps our armed forces ready to exercise the will of those loyal citizens at a moments notice.

The oath to the Constitution that you think should be reaffirmed every day is a specific oath that has specific legal meanings and connotations.  That oath is reaffirmed by those with the heart and character to continue their duty to the loyal citizens of this Republic and needs reaffirmation at the time they are renewing that commitment; usually every 3 to 6 years.  So, no, that would be an unnecessary gesture that would cheapen the true meaning and intention of that oath.

Let me take this brief moment, at the cusp of this Memorial Day Weekend, to state very simply that you can take that wordy insult that you vomited onto your keyboard and stuff it straight up your ass.  It was an intellectually dishonest insult to all those who have bled and died under that banner for your right to be an insipid twat who can't see far enough past himself to understand what those memorized words actually mean.

Sincerely,

wasp69
USN (retired)

I bithslapped him for that rant, and will keep doing so as much as I can, until I feel he has had enough. And ^5 to you.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2012, 10:05:08 AM »
Thank you, Splash and Kyle.  I actually had to sit on that post for over 12 hours before I replied.  Had I not, it would have come out a lot less "nice".
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2012, 10:22:12 AM »
Hi-5 Wasp.

:cheersmate:  I especially liked "Insipid Twat". 

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline indago

• Banned
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2012, 10:22:30 AM »
We are also showing that while we are free individuals, we are not so self centered as to forget that it is our loyalty as citizens to our flag and the "Republic for which it stands" that keeps this country free and keeps our armed forces ready to exercise the will of those loyal citizens at a moments notice.  ...It was an intellectually dishonest insult to all those who have bled and died under that banner for your right to be an insipid twat who can't see far enough past himself to understand what those memorized words actually mean.

Here's the other side of the story: Ground Truth

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2012, 10:30:47 AM »
Here's the other side of the story: Ground Truth

The other side of what story?

ETA:  On second thought, never mind.  Whatever reason you have to despise the flag and the country are your own and I am not in the mood to have my blood pressure raised by a self-fellating piss twizzler on this lovely day.  It was enough to put your worthless thoughts in the proper context as juxtaposed against those of us who aren't headstone tipping cretins.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:47:37 AM by wasp69 »

C.S. Lewis

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2012, 10:35:50 AM »
Singing the Battle Hymn does that to me.  Sunday, . . . I'll figure it out.

I like Battle Hymn. That should be America's anthem.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2012, 10:43:18 AM »

Uh, no, it should not.

C.S. Lewis

Offline Zeus

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2012, 12:06:17 PM »

Wouldn't happen the song is one big biblical reference after another.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2012, 12:08:54 PM »
:cheersmate:  I especially liked "Insipid Twat". 

I'm sure you did...   :tongue:

C.S. Lewis

Offline Danglars

• Banned
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2012, 12:23:35 PM »
Wouldn't happen the song is one big biblical reference after another.

But it'd be like crosses to vampires to DUmmies. They'd cringe in terror--more than they already do, anyway--and maybe they'd leave the country for climes more suited to them? I'm thinking Darfur for the men, and Saudi Arabia for DUmmie women. They could live so happily within the religion of peace.  :whatever:

Stirring rendition:

[youtube=425,350]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSvH4s-4sCQ[/youtube]

But even better:

[youtube=425,350]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLun-Ca6b6s&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline Boojatta

• Banned
  • Just Off Probation
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2012, 04:37:43 PM »
exposing the American far left for what it's truly like, something the liberal mainstream media deliberately avoids doing out of fear of making the left look bad.
Isn't it possible that the mainstream media has maybe at least a tiny bit of reluctance to attract attention to what is a potential competitor for its audience?  Does the mainstream media earn enough from fees paid by cable subscribers that the mainstream media no longer cares about advertising revenue?  Perhaps advertisers no longer care about the size of the audience?

Offline movie buff

« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2012, 06:28:09 PM »
Indago, I have bestowed a great honor upon you; Your obnoxious, repulsive, long- winded, pseudo- intellectual, brainless rant about the need to ban the Pledge of Allegiance caused me to bestow the very first B**ch- Slap I can ever recall giving on CU. Further, seeing all the slaps you've been given causes me to envision you in my mind trilling off that brainless rant while the CUers line up to slap you, quite a funny mental image to have.
btw, your rant talks about the need for "Tolerance." Problem is, you have here demonstrated no tolerance whatsoever for the people who believe in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.
Screw you, troll.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2012, 06:53:07 PM »
Indago, I have bestowed a great honor upon you; Your obnoxious, repulsive, long- winded, pseudo- intellectual, brainless rant about the need to ban the Pledge of Allegiance caused me to bestow the very first B**ch- Slap I can ever recall giving on CU. Further, seeing all the slaps you've been given causes me to envision you in my mind trilling off that brainless rant while the CUers line up to slap you, quite a funny mental image to have.
btw, your rant talks about the need for "Tolerance." Problem is, you have here demonstrated no tolerance whatsoever for the people who believe in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.
Screw you, troll.

What I pictured:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0GW0Vnr9Yc[/youtube]
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2012, 06:54:24 PM »
What I pictured:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0GW0Vnr9Yc[/youtube]

^5

Offline indago

• Banned
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2012, 09:43:47 PM »

School children saluting flag and pledging allegiance

promoted by James B. Upham, a marketer for the magazine, as a campaign to instill the idea of American nationalism by selling flags to public schools and magazines to students

article
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:50:02 PM by indago »

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2012, 10:09:31 PM »
I don't know about that.
The stinkbug gets mighty damn contrary at times.
He's granted me one free shot at at him, and I'm gonna take it.
 :hammer: This ones for you, BH, if you see it.  :cheersmate:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2012, 10:40:48 PM »
indago has the pot stirring quite nicely. He soon will need to swap out his ladle for a rowboat oar. The simmering pot is in danger of boiling over.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2012, 04:39:47 AM »
Okay, let me see if I understand, these idiots are worrying and whining about children being indoctrinated because they say the Pledge of Allegiance. Meanwhile, they admit they were "forced" to say it themselves. Of course, they're just SO above that kind of thing now. Somehow, it never occurs to them that they don't seem to have suffered indoctrination after having to repeat it every single school day. When I was young, immature and "progressive" I had the same childish view about it as they do. Cuz when I was in college it was cool to think you were a rebel...just like everyone else.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Danglars

• Banned
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2012, 08:12:06 AM »
Okay, let me see if I understand, these idiots are worrying and whining about children being indoctrinated because they say the Pledge of Allegiance. Meanwhile, they admit they were "forced" to say it themselves. Of course, they're just SO above that kind of thing now. Somehow, it never occurs to them that they don't seem to have suffered indoctrination after having to repeat it every single school day. When I was young, immature and "progressive" I had the same childish view about it as they do. Cuz when I was in college it was cool to think you were a rebel...just like everyone else.

Cindie

Dead on! BS-cutting observation!

You and I and other conservatives are anything but indoctrinated--we love our country, but in fact are the ones carrying the philosophical torch forthe  Founders, all rebels, because we don't conflate the temporary men of government with the country and the Constitution, and what we believe and know are the result of adult cognition, not childhood "indoctrination." The notion is idiotic, given childhood attention spans, and what really concerns most children and adolsescents. Meanwhile, they, (the DUmmies)  are prime examples of how the Pledge had exactly zero effect: they despise their country, worship the power of government and are anything but rebels against the power of the state, and are fully indoctrinated in the world-upside-down insanity of the Left.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2012, 08:38:53 AM »

School children saluting flag and pledging allegiance

:whatever:

Bellamy Salute

C.S. Lewis