Author Topic: primitives discuss chili  (Read 5315 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: primitives discuss chili
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2011, 03:22:38 PM »
Cooking hot peppers and sauces at high heat tends to knock off some of the burn.  You might want to try leaving it in the oven  or simmering it on the stovetop for a few more hours.  I leave mine overnight or on at work during the day.  I like mine best cooked all day long and served the next day after cooling overnight, but that doesn't usually happen.

I've used Frank's/Pete's Red Hot in my wing sauce, and cooking the sauce in a pan before mixing all the other ingredients lowers the amount of 'heat'.  It made the wings weaker than I wanted, but it was nice for a 'mild' sauce.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 03:27:31 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »
Here's mine today. Sorry frank: peppers, onions and one can of diced tomatoes.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Whoa.

Wait a minute.

Onions in chili?

I suppose it's been done, but I myself have never seen such a thing.

Onion salt yes, but not onions.  

Chili's one of these common foods with substantial regional variations, and so I'm not faulting anyone's taste; whatever suits the area, the culture, and the era.

At the risk of being thoroughly thrashed (but I'm used to it, even more used to it than the Nebraska football team), I myself would never deign to combine chili and cheese.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2011, 03:23:36 PM »
Despite my distaste for cooked tomatoes (fresh tomatoes in sandwiches and salads are mandatory) and chopped peppers, if someone were a guest of mine here, and wanted it this way, that's the way it would be given them.

Oh, you don't like diced tomatoes? and no idea why I never put pepper in Chili.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2011, 03:24:53 PM »
Cooking hot peppers and sauces at high heat tends to knock off some of the 'burn'.  You might want to try leaving it in the oven  or simmering it on the stovetop for a few more hours. I've used Frank's/Pete's Red Hot in my wing sauce, and cooking the sauce in a pan before mixing all the other ingredients lowers the amount of 'heat'.  It made the wings weaker than I wanted, but it was nice for a 'mild' sauce.

I'm going to let it simmer for another hour.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2011, 03:26:53 PM »
.....and no idea why I never put pepper in Chili.

That's a damned good idea.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2011, 03:30:03 PM »
I'm going to let it simmer for another hour.
If it's TOO hot, you can add some sour cream directly to the chili while it's still in the pot.  Those red pepper flakes can be tricky.  I avoid them entirely and used smoked jalapeno peppers/chipotle peppers and adobo sauce ("Mexican ketchup" :-)) in place of tomatoes.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2011, 03:40:26 PM »
If it's TOO hot, you can add some sour cream directly to the chili while it's still in the pot.  Those red pepper flakes can be tricky.  I avoid them entirely and used smoked jalapeno peppers/chipotle peppers and adobo sauce ("Mexican ketchup" :-)) in place of tomatoes.

I just did a taste test now and it's nowhere near as hot as it was an hour ago.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2011, 03:42:56 PM »
I just did a taste test now and it's nowhere near as hot as it was an hour ago.

You know, madam, you've helped make this the second most-popular food thread here in the DUmpster.

Good work, great work.

Anything to illuminate the lurking primitives about good taste.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2011, 03:44:18 PM »
You know, madam, you've helped make this the second most-popular food thread here in the DUmpster.

Good work, great work.

Anything to illuminate the lurking primitives about good taste.

I really do love the break from Politics frank, which is 1 of the reasons I love the cooking and baking forum.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2011, 03:49:26 PM »
I really do love the break from Politics frank, which is 1 of the reasons I love the cooking and baking forum.

Well, given that the cooking and baking forum on Skins's island is now pretty much cobweb-infested--I dunno what happened there--it's time to move on to another non-political forum, which I've been doing.

We all miss hippywife Mrs. Alfred Packer, and some of us miss the sparkling husband dude.

But maybe sports will give one a break from the squalid, sordid, greasy, slimy, corrupt politics of the primitives.

We're anxiously awaiting the husband's approval, or disapproval, of the chili.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2011, 03:51:47 PM »
Well, given that the cooking and baking forum on Skins's island is now pretty much cobweb-infested--I dunno what happened there--it's time to move on to another non-political forum, which I've been doing.

We all miss hippywife Mrs. Alfred Packer, and some of us miss the sparkling husband dude.

But maybe sports will give one a break from the squalid, sordid, greasy, slimy, corrupt politics of the primitives.

We're anxiously awaiting the husband's approval, or disapproval, of the chili.

Do you think we should do a cooking and baking thread in the DUmp?

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »
One time, I had chili over spaghetti in St. Louis. That's how I serve it now, with some raw onion on top with shredded cheese.

I'm a yankee, but I've had no complaints about my chili...

I absolutely LOVE chili.  Chili and tacos.  I can eat them 7 days a week.  One time I was working in Indiana and I saw a place called 'Skyline Chili' so I stopped in there.  The lady behind the counter asked me what I wanted and I was like "Uh ... Chili?"  She asked what kind and I said I didn't care I just wanted some chili.

They gave me a bowl of chili and it had SPAGHETTI in it!!!!!!  As soon as I saw that I started asking some questions like, can I just have a bowl of chili?  The lady went in the back and was gone awhile then came back and told me ALL their chili had spaghetti in it.  NO THANK YOU.

I made them take it back and I went somewhere else to eat.  I've since learned not only do they make their chili with spaghetti they put CINNAMON in it!!!  Oh the horror.

Glad I didn't eat that shit.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2011, 03:58:11 PM »
Do you think we should do a cooking and baking thread in the DUmp?

I'm not sure if I understand the question, madam.

I'm supposing you're suggesting one of our moles post something in the cooking and baking forum there.

The problem with that, given that the once-very-active, always-popping, cooking and baking forum on Skins's island seems any more to have the same momentum as oldelmtree, moving at the speed of a glacier.

And so it would take forever for one of our moles to get a response there.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs, when a campfire snatched from the cooking and baking forum's posted as a thread here, and it generates more interest and comments than it does on Skins's island.

I dunno what's up with that; nobody's keeping the primitives from hanging around the cooking and baking forum there.  They used to; why aren't they any more?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2011, 04:02:26 PM »
I use onions and bell peppers in my chili.  A can of rotel.  I cook my own red beans to put in it.  If I get my hands on some ground deer meat, I use that too. My husband cooks the deer meat outside, it makes the house smell.

If you want it hot, I have stuff for that but I don't eat peppered food. You have to fire it up yourself.

It's 78 degrees here.  Perfect for chili. I made shrimp etouffee Friday.  It was close to 97 here.  I don't care how hot it is outside, I get envies, I cook it.  Gumbo is good anytime.   :-)

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2011, 04:06:01 PM »
It's a pretty sad state of affairs, when a campfire snatched from the cooking and baking forum's posted as a thread here, and it generates more interest and comments than it does on Skins's island.

By the way, this is still only the second-longest food thread here in the DUmpster--although it's miles longer than anything in the cooking and baking forum on Skins's island--but it's still got a ways to go, to best the longest food thread here, the one about whether or not one should press down hard on hamburgers when on the grill.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2011, 04:12:50 PM »
I use onions and bell peppers in my chili.  A can of rotel.  I cook my own red beans to put in it.  If I get my hands on some ground deer meat, I use that too. My husband cooks the deer meat outside, it makes the house smell.

If you want it hot, I have stuff for that but I don't eat peppered food. You have to fire it up yourself.

It's 78 degrees here.  Perfect for chili. I made shrimp etouffee Friday.  It was close to 97 here.  I don't care how hot it is outside, I get envies, I cook it.  Gumbo is good anytime.   :-)

Yes, yes it is.  So is chili.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2011, 04:13:47 PM »
By the way, this is still only the second-longest food thread here in the DUmpster--although it's miles longer than anything in the cooking and baking forum on Skins's island--but it's still got a ways to go, to best the longest food thread here, the one about whether or not one should press down hard on hamburgers when on the grill.

No you should not.  Those who press on their burgers when they are cooking WILL go to hell.  It's a proven fact.  Sorry frank.

KC

*Stolen

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
Those who press on their burgers when they are cooking WILL go to hell.

:rotf:

It's true. My husband told me.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2011, 04:17:27 PM »
:rofl:

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2011, 04:19:26 PM »
I'm not sure if I understand the question, madam.

I'm supposing you're suggesting one of our moles post something in the cooking and baking forum there.

The problem with that, given that the once-very-active, always-popping, cooking and baking forum on Skins's island seems any more to have the same momentum as oldelmtree, moving at the speed of a glacier.

And so it would take forever for one of our moles to get a response there.

I dunno what's up with that; nobody's keeping the primitives from hanging around the cooking and baking forum there.  They used to; why aren't they any more?

No, just a thread in the DUmp titled Cooking and Baking Thread, and if we have something interesting to discuss as far as food goes we can post it in there.

And BTW, I put the chili in the roll and topped it with shredded cheese, put it in the oven, and while I was waiting my Husband chopped up some raw onion to put on it.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2011, 04:22:26 PM »

That gets rid of the juices though, but I have to admit that I'm guilty of doing it.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2011, 04:24:29 PM »
.....and while I was waiting my Husband chopped up some raw onion to put on it.

Do me a favor if convenient for you, madam.

Ask him why he did that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2011, 04:30:09 PM »
No you should not.  Those who press on their burgers when they are cooking WILL go to hell.  It's a proven fact.  Sorry frank.

Here's the original debate on the issue, but I'm warning it's a thread miles and miles long.

From July 2010, "primitives discuss cooking hamburger."

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,46375.0
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2011, 04:32:18 PM »
Do me a favor if convenient for you, madam.

Ask him why he did that.

OK, I just asked him and he said "because I like it".

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2011, 04:36:21 PM »
OK, I just asked him and he said "because I like it".

Okay, I'm not going to disagree with the husband; if he likes it, he likes it, and if he were a guest here, I'd be sure there were plenty of onions for him to chop and consume in his chili.

He'll get no sass from franksolich.
apres moi, le deluge