Author Topic: primitives discuss spatchcocking a chicken  (Read 743 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss spatchcocking a chicken
« on: October 09, 2011, 02:22:09 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x89516

Oh my.

It's a lazy rainy cool Sunday afternoon here on the High Plains, and a couple of other people are involved with installing a new front door here.  I'm just twiddling my thumbs.  So I thought I'd mosey over to see what nefarious activities the cooking and baking primitives were up to.

elleng  (1000+ posts)        Wed Oct-05-11 09:02 PM
Original message

Video: How to Spatchcock a Chicken

Spatch-what?

That’s right, spatchcock. Also known as butterflying, it’s an age-old term that pertains to any fowl. And it’s a simple technique that you can use to speed up the roasting of a chicken by nearly half the time, and emerge with a perfectly golden, evenly cooked bird.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/05/video...

Check this too, Chicken Under a Brick (Bittman)

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/11/recip... /

Stinky The Clown  (1000+ posts)        Wed Oct-05-11 11:10 PM
Response to Original message

1. Cooks Illustrated has a really good video of chicken under a brick, a key part of which is . . . . .

. . . . that butterflying technique. On the grill, they have a very specific series of turns and temperature adjustments. The results are marvelous.

flamin lib  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-06-11 01:08 PM

2. Now, who among us can de-bone a chicken?

I can but I'm not fast.

Slice through the skin along the backbone and follow the ribs all the way to the keel bone separating the wing joint and leaving the wings intact. Break the thigh joint and remove the carcass to the stockpot. Lay the chicken on it's breast and using a scraping motion carefully peel the meat away from the thigh bone, around the joint and turning the drumstick inside out scrape down to the nub. With the back of a chef's knife break the drumstick bone as close to the nub as you can. Pull the bones free and pick any shards out of the now boneless chicken.

Fill the boneless chicken with your favorite stuffing and re-shape into a chicken like shape--it's basically a chicken sausage. Roast, breast side up, till the stuffing reaches a safe temp. Like a Thanksgiving turkey show it at the table before slicing across the chicken to show off the crispy skin wrapped chicken and stuffing or slice in the kitchen and re-assemble for serving.

A bit of work but unusual and elegant.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline zeitgeist

Re: primitives discuss spatchcocking a chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 02:38:17 PM »
Thank heavens.  When I first saw the title I thought it might have something to do with a tasteless old story about an adolescent, a chicken, a rubber band, and a bureau draw.   :thatsright:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 07:12:24 PM »
flamin lib  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-06-11 01:08 PM

2. Now, who among us can de-bone a chicken?

Pretty simple, really:  Fry chicken, eat all of it except bones, pile bones on plate.

Of course, being Democrats, they may have something much nastier in mind, in which case I would simply observe that 'That which has been boned, cannot be deboned.'
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 07:35:15 PM »

Pretty simple, really:  Fry chicken, eat all of it except bones, pile bones on plate.

Of course, being Democrats, they may have something much nastier in mind, in which case I would simply observe that 'That which has been boned, cannot be deboned.'

Yep, same here. And sometimes those cornish crosses get to be about the size of a small turkey. Never had one that wasn't tender. If I want it to cook faster I just cut it up into pieces.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 07:37:23 PM »
Still sounds like something Calpig would do on her wedding night. :whatever:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 10:42:44 PM »
Still sounds like something Calpig would do on her wedding night. :whatever:

I think that's called bu-KAW-ki.  At least that's what the chickens call it.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 10:48:46 PM »
'Spatchcooking' sounds like some silly made-up word another dipshit hausfrau thought would be cute to use on her bridge club buddies.  Does a spatch exist as an object?  Probably not.  Butterflying (at least in my opinion) only makes sense on a single cut of meat like a filet, chop. or breast and doesn't apply to a whole bird.  If you're not some pretentious snob/insecure DUmmy who needs to invent words to make yourself feel better, how about "cutting up into smaller pieces so it cooks faster". 

Oops.  Too many words.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Doubleplusungood

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 11:47:20 PM »
I'll admit I had not heard that term before.

Offline JakeStyle

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 12:30:30 AM »
I'll admit I had not heard that term before.

Neither had the DUmmie that started the thread, it found it via Google or youtube, and had to make a thread about it.  They crave attention and go to great lengths to get it.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 08:16:16 AM »
I think that's called bu-KAW-ki.  At least that's what the chickens call it.

Ruuuude!  But, I like it!  H5!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.