Author Topic: primitives discuss chili  (Read 5279 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss chili
« on: September 30, 2011, 08:28:34 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x89364

Oh my.

kestrel91316  (1000+ posts)        Mon Sep-26-11 12:22 AM
Original message

I just made a pot of Mom's Chili. You know, the basic Betty Crocker stuff.

Ground beef, onions, bell pepper, garlic, canned tomatoes, pinto beans, chili powder. I love it as much as I did when growing up. Totally lowbrow, from her 1960s repertoire. Not the least bit gourmet.

So you all can fire away, lol. I'm taking a break from healthy for a couple days.

It'd probably be better without the onions and peppers, though.

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Mon Sep-26-11 12:31 AM
Response to Original message

1. I just add a few things to that old fave.

I use three different kinds of beans (pinto, black, butter or blackeyed pea), some Better Than Bouillon beef stock, a handful of cornmeal, and some worcestershire sauce. I don't use garlic, and I do use lots of beef.

Wish I could have a bowl, but I can't take the carbs now. Maybe I'll make some with just a few beans.

Nothing is better in October, IMO!

Tesha  (1000+ posts)      Mon Sep-26-11 12:41 PM

2. there is nothing wrong...

with Mom's Chili - it has and will get us through many a cold night.

Not to mention days when funds run low...

I made a pot of soup like that yesterday. Veggie links instead of the beef, a little better than bouillon
for a broth and added corn and zucchini to the beans

Its all good everyday cooking (except for the carbs 8^)

kestrel91316  (1000+ posts)        Mon Sep-26-11 01:01 PM
Response to Reply #2

3. I am doing WW right now and I figure 8 points for a cup of chili ain't too very bad.

Fits into my plan better than I thought. And I will be skimming congealed fat off the top tonight before I serve it

Aha.

"Congealed fat."

Everybody knows how loathesome, how disgusting that is.

Which is why franksolich, when cooking a hamburger on a grill, presses down hard, so as to get all the grease out of it.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Mon Sep-26-11 07:09 PM

4. Uh, my lunch today was slumgullion so it's even more lowbrow and it'll be my lunch for the next few days.

However, it's comfort food and I need comfort food right now.

In case one's not aware, the defrocked warped primitive's having eye surgery soon, and she's nervous about it.

noamnety  (1000+ posts)        Mon Sep-26-11 09:43 PM

5. I've been eating it for lunch for the last week.

Mine's got zucchini and eggplant - it's a convenient way to bury excess things from the garden.

Phentex  (1000+ posts)        Tue Sep-27-11 10:49 AM

6. Nothing wrong with it!...

I don't use bell pepper in mine but I make a basic chili every once in a while. Good eats!

The empressof all   (1000+ posts)        Tue Sep-27-11 11:44 AM

7. Try replacing the beef with Sweet and White potatoes

Sweet and savory at the same time. I add corn and make it with Rotel instead of canned tomatoes to enhance the heat.

EFerrari  (1000+ posts)        Tue Sep-27-11 02:26 PM

8. I make Wendy's chile about twice a month. We're addicts.

And always have a pot of pintos on like my grandmother did. The only fancy thing I do in that is grind up the tyme, coriander and cumin together before I throw it in. lol

In case one's not aware, Doug's stupid ex-wife's felon son and his girlfriend spent last Sunday with mom.

Arkansas Granny  (1000+ posts)      Tue Sep-27-11 10:22 PM

9. Who says it has to be gourmet to be good. 

I still love to make tuna casserole, on occasion.

No sign of the sparkling husband dude.  Anywhere.  Not a trace.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Bodadh

• Not in the mood!
Re: primitives discuss chili
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 08:52:03 PM »
The chili sounds pleasantly simple. I have not made slumgullian in a long time. I have found that what one person calls slumgullian is not what someone else calls slumgullian. I made mine with ground beef, macaroni noodles, green peppers, sweet onions, tomato sauce, and a truck load of Velvetta cheese, and a little bit of chili powder. Very low rent but I love it.

Btw, Alton Brown says never to press down on the burger til all the juices run out. You are pressing out flavor. And Alton Brown is god!!!
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:31:38 PM »
Aha.

"Congealed fat."

Everybody knows how loathesome, how disgusting that is.

Which is why franksolich, when cooking a hamburger on a grill, presses down hard, so as to get all the grease out of it.

I do that also. My wife looks at me like I'm crazy.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 09:34:47 PM »
Bleh...sounds like garbage recipes for chili.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 12:17:55 PM »
If you press all the grease out of a hamburger, you may as well cook confetti and wallpaper paste.
Much cheaper and the taste will be identical.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 12:41:49 PM »

I use three different kinds of beans (pinto, black, butter or blackeyed pea), some Better Than Bouillon beef stock, a handful of cornmeal, and some worcestershire sauce. I don't use garlic, and I do use lots of beef.

Wish I could have a bowl, but I can't take the carbs now. Maybe I'll make some with just a few beans.

Butterbeans and black-eyed peas in Chili? F'n GROSS!

My God, when I want to see how to **** up a meal, all I have to do is look at the DUmp.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 12:43:21 PM »
Pinto and Kidney beans. If you're adding more than that, you're wasting your time trying to be too damn eclectic with your food.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »
The chili sounds pleasantly simple. I have not made slumgullian in a long time. I have found that what one person calls slumgullian is not what someone else calls slumgullian. I made mine with ground beef, macaroni noodles, green peppers, sweet onions, tomato sauce, and a truck load of Velvetta cheese, and a little bit of chili powder. Very low rent but I love it.

Btw, Alton Brown says never to press down on the burger til all the juices run out. You are pressing out flavor. And Alton Brown is god!!!

Slumgullian at my house is ground beef, wide egg noodles, cream of mushroom soup and tomatoes, topped with Parmesan.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 03:45:31 PM »
grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Mon Sep-26-11 12:31 AM

What. The. ****???

Isn't she the one who opened a pie shop and showed a pic of her and one of her pies that looked like someone shit in a pan?  If it is, it figures.

No chili powder.  No cayenne.  No jalapenos.  No green chiles.  WORCESTERSHIRE ****ING SAUCE?  ****ING SERIOUSLY?

And yeah, ANY chili worth a shit is gonna have some garlic in there somewhere, and some cumin as well.  Don't forget the cilantro, either.

That shit she made would make a nice pattern when I chucked it against her ****ing wall.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 03:49:33 PM by NHSparky »
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 03:52:37 PM »

And yeah, ANY chili worth a shit is gonna have some garlic in there somewhere, and some cumin as well.  Don't forget the cilantro, either.

....and a shitload of chile and cayenne pepper. If it doesn't make you sweat, it wasn't worth cooking.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 03:53:37 PM »
DUmmies remind me of the Yankees that come down south and have a crawfish boil with Old Bay.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 03:56:01 PM »
DUmmies remind me of the Yankees that come down south and have a crawfish boil with Old Bay.

Do NOT pin that shit on ME, dammit!

I'M not the one who did lobsters with that shit!  (apologies to Scoobie--it wasn't her, but she knows the story.)
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 04:03:18 PM »
I love chili! but we've only had chili from around here, I'm sure it tastes awesome in places like Texas. Um, now I want to make chili for Sun. dinner, any recipes you can share?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 04:18:06 PM »
I love chili! but we've only had chili from around here, I'm sure it tastes awesome in places like Texas. Um, now I want to make chili for Sun. dinner, any recipes you can share?

Easy recipe:

Get a 2 lb pack of hamburger meat (chuck). Brown meat in pan. Drain.

If you have Carroll Shelby's up there, by one box for every, IIRC, 2 pounds of meat you use.

Buy a thing of Cayenne pepper for heat.

Buy pinto, kidney, or chili beans (1 can each for this recipe, or you can mix and match and for the love of all that's holy, drain all that liquid slop the beans are in). This will be up to your discretion if you want more meat, more beans, or an equal amount of both. Also you want to get a can or two of chopped tomatoes.

In tall pot, mix all ingredients, browned meat, all seasoning in CS box (trash the Masa), beans, and a little cayenne pepper (the packet in the CS box is WAY too small, but this will also be up to your discretion and it'll be you suffering the consequences the next morning  :-) ).

Cook high until bubbling covered, stirring when needed. After about 10 minutes, lower temp to about low-medium and taste for heat. Add cayenne if needed. NOTE: Cayenne doesn't burn as soon as you touch it normally, so don't overdue it. Taste it, and if you're sweating a few minutes later, it's good. If you're about to suffer a heat stroke, you've used to much. The Masa flour in the CS box, trash it. It's to thicken it up, but if you know what you're doing, you don't need to add flour to thicken up a pot of chili.

That's an easy recipe, but it's all in taste. I can't do just a normal "follow the directions" recipe. I have to check, recheck, re-stir, add, etc.

If you also want crackers, just regular saltines.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 04:21:17 PM by Rebel »

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 04:23:58 PM »
Oh cool! Thanks Rebel. We don't have Carrol Shelby's around here but the grocery stores do have boxes of different type of Texas Chili spices. When I make chili, again, no comparison to what you guys make in the south, I like to get rolls and cut off the top, brush with some oil and garlic and put it on the oven a few minutes and use that as the chili bowls, put shredded cheddar cheese on top.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 04:29:41 PM »
Oh cool! Thanks Rebel. We don't have Carrol Shelby's around here but the grocery stores do have boxes of different type of Texas Chili spices. When I make chili, again, no comparison to what you guys make in the south, I like to get rolls and cut off the top, brush with some oil and garlic and put it on the oven a few minutes and use that as the chili bowls, put shredded cheddar cheese on top.

Damn, that sounds awesome.  :yum:

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 04:32:58 PM »
Now I'm thinking about Chili and I just turned an entire Boston Butt into BBQ last night. I'll be eating that for days.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »
TEXAS CHILI COOK-OFFS

INEXPERIENCED CHILI TASTER
Notes From An Inexperienced Chili Tester Named FRANK, who was visiting Texas from the East Coast: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking directions to the beer wagon, when the call came. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy,
and besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting - So I accepted."

Here are the scorecards from the event:

CHILI # 1 - MIKE'S MANIAC MOBSTER MONSTER CHILI
JUDGE ONE: A little too heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.
JUDGE TWO: Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
FRANK: Holy shit, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy.

CHILI # 2 - ARTHUR'S AFTERBURNER CHILI
JUDGE ONE: Smokey, with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno tang.
JUDGE TWO: Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
FRANK: Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI # 3 - FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI
JUDGE ONE: Excellent firehouse chili! Great kick. Needs more beans.
JUDGE TWO: A beanless chili, a bit salty, good use of peppers.
FRANK: Call the EPA, I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back; now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting shit-faced from all the beer.

CHILI # 4 - BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC
JUDGE ONE: Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
JUDGE TWO: Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or
other mild foods, not much of a chili.
FRANK: I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burnout taste buds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills; that 300 lb. bitch is starting to look HOT just like this nuclear waste I'm eating. Is chili an aphrodisiac?

CHILI # 5 - LINDA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER
JUDGE ONE: Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very Impressive!
JUDGE TWO: Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.
FRANK: My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage; Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from a pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off? It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks!

CHILI # 6 - VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY
JUDGE ONE: Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spice
and peppers.
JUDGE TWO: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic.
Superb!
FRANK: My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I shit on myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Sally. She must be kinkier than I thought. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone!

CHILI # 7 - SUSAN'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI
JUDGE ONE: A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
JUDGE TWO: Ho Hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili
peppers at the last moment. I should take note that I am worried about Judge Number 3, He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
FRANK: You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a damn thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava-like shit to match my damn shirt. At least during the autopsy they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, it's too painful. Screw it, I'm not getting any
oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI # 8 - Helen's Mount Saint Chili
JUDGE ONE: A perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili, safe for all, not too bold but spicy enough to declare it's existence.
JUDGE TWO: This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge Number 3 passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor Yank, wonder how he'd have reacted to a really hot chili?
FRANK: (Not available for comment.)
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 04:59:08 PM »

BTW, we got a lot of good food from up North as well. I love Italian food, LOVE it, and it migrated pretty much from the New York area after the migration from Italy to NYC. There was a small little place in a shopping center south of Tinton Falls/Eatontown, NJ that made one of the best Bolis I've ever had in my life. When I was in NYC, Kim and I stopped in McDonalds to get something to eat. After seeing the prices, there was no WAY I was paying that. 3 places down was a little Italian place. 2 huge slices of NY-style pizza and a drink was a little over 5 bucks. The pizza down here doesn't compare to that up there. There's two places that are good, Giuseppe's and the Pizza Joint. Other than that, it's only meant for sustenance. I also like Greek pizza. If any of you are ever in Fairbanks, AK, check out my buddy's place, Bobby's Greek Restaurant. They don't use tomato sauce on their Greek style, but it's awesome. He's Greek, Bobby Nikolaides and actually an immigrant from Greece. Why he chose friggin' Fairbanks, Alaska is beyond me.

Offline Bodadh

• Not in the mood!
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 05:32:24 PM »
Slumgullian at my house is ground beef, wide egg noodles, cream of mushroom soup and tomatoes, topped with Parmesan.

I used to make something similar only it didn't have tomatos or cheese. Or a name for that matter. I might have to try it this way. It sounds pretty good.
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 06:15:26 PM »

I think we're beginning to understand why the pie shop never happened.
Aside from being an..uh..special needs old lady, she can't cook.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 06:21:59 PM »
BTW, we got a lot of good food from up North as well. I love Italian food, LOVE it, and it migrated pretty much from the New York area after the migration from Italy to NYC. There was a small little place in a shopping center south of Tinton Falls/Eatontown, NJ that made one of the best Bolis I've ever had in my life. When I was in NYC, Kim and I stopped in McDonalds to get something to eat. After seeing the prices, there was no WAY I was paying that. 3 places down was a little Italian place. 2 huge slices of NY-style pizza and a drink was a little over 5 bucks. The pizza down here doesn't compare to that up there. There's two places that are good, Giuseppe's and the Pizza Joint. Other than that, it's only meant for sustenance. I also like Greek pizza. If any of you are ever in Fairbanks, AK, check out my buddy's place, Bobby's Greek Restaurant. They don't use tomato sauce on their Greek style, but it's awesome. He's Greek, Bobby Nikolaides and actually an immigrant from Greece. Why he chose friggin' Fairbanks, Alaska is beyond me.

We definitely have the best Italian food and Deli food, and don't get me going on desserts like canoli's, napoleon's and cheesecake.

Offline tanstaafl

• I AM the NRA. And I VOTE
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 11:35:06 PM »

I make mine with 50/50 Elk Burger and Beef. Diced tomatoes and light red kidney beens. And Lowry's chili seasoning.
Oyster crackers and Fritos on the side with chopped onions and shredded cheddar cheese.

It may not be Texas style, or win any blue ribbons, but my two gallon crock pot never last until lunch in the construction trailer.

On the last project, three other yahoos thought mine was OK, but their's was better, so we had a cook off. After mine was gone, then the latecomers ate some of the others swill.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 11:43:32 PM »
I make mine with 50/50 Elk Burger and Beef. Diced tomatoes and light red kidney beens. And Lowry's chili seasoning.
Oyster crackers and Fritos on the side with chopped onions and shredded cheddar cheese.
I add ground chorizo to mine (not the whole sausage-link type) along with chipotle (smoked jalapeno) peppers and adobo sauce.  Good stuff.

My mom is the last person who needs to be cooking chili, but she persists anyway. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 03:54:10 AM »

I make this one, it's to die for. It's got a lot of ingredients but really takes less work than you would think. I use black beans  because they're my favorite.

Boilermaker Tailgate Chili

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams