Author Topic: primitives experiment with corn-on-the-cob  (Read 1184 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives experiment with corn-on-the-cob
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:23:30 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x88033

Oh now, this is preposterously ridiculous.

pengillian101  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jul-04-11 03:30 AM
Original message

I had an experiment with corn on the cob that turned out excellent in my opinion!

I neither removed the silks, nor the husks. Just ran it under the tap for a bit to get the husks soaked. I just put it a plate on highest setting of the microwave for five minutes. A winner to me!

The silk and husks peel back easily into a natural handle.

(Note--I just made one ear, and our microwave is at 1100.)

Come on now.

How hard is it to remove the husk and silk from a cob?

Not to mention using the microwave expands one's carbon footprint.

Damn, the primitives are a lazy bunch.

Callalily  (1000+ posts)      Mon Jul-04-11 06:51 AM
Response to Original message

1. Hmmmmm . . . you are making me hungry for corn-on-the cob.

This technique also works well for grilling.

trud  (974 posts)      Mon Jul-04-11 08:16 AM

2. somewhat the same

I remove the husks and cornsilk, run it under water and then wrap it in a paper towel and microwave it for five minutes.

DrDan  (1000+ posts)      Mon Jul-04-11 09:55 AM

3. I always grill my corn like that - just throw it on the grill (not direct heat, of course)

husk and silk comes off easily.

What could be easier?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: primitives experiment with corn-on-the-cob
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 05:26:35 PM »
But I don't own a microwave.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 06:07:14 PM »
But I don't own a microwave.
Yikes! How can you thaw stuff? Or make popcorn?

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:21:15 PM »
Oh God Bless, GoBucks.  You just need to plan, or use hot water, and you can buy fully popped popcorn if you don't want to go old school.   :thatsright:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline vadawg

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »
I made 10 cobs today on the grill, just let them soak husks and all in water for a wee while then threw them on the grill, then play hot potato trying to get the husk off as it burns like hell, but oh so yummy and my fav way of eating corn (apart from distilled)

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 09:55:08 PM »

Ain't you never read about caveman days in the 1950s?  They rubbed two sticks together to make something called fire.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 10:13:38 PM »
Ain't you never read about caveman days in the 1950s?  They rubbed two sticks together to make something called fire.

Chris doesn't need to use two sticks to start a fire.  He has a Datsun.  :-)

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 10:18:35 PM »
this topic worried me -

When one combines a primitive with something remotely phallus shaped and the word 'experiment', one creates an undesirable mental image.

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 11:24:29 PM »
Oh God Bless, GoBucks.  You just need to plan, or use hot water, and you can buy fully popped popcorn if you don't want to go old school. 
The only thing I thaw in water is seafood. Everything else takes too long.
I doubt I'd ever taste popcorn again if I didn't have a microwave, unless I was desperate enought to pay ten bucks for it at a movie.

Offline JLO

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 11:39:35 PM »
this topic worried me -

When one combines a primitive with something remotely phallus shaped and the word 'experiment', one creates an undesirable mental image.

:rotf:
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 12:07:05 AM »
Good grief.
Folks have been doing that for centuries.
So, what else is new, DUmmie.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 07:11:12 AM »

**wonders where he put the mind bleach**  :whistling:
Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 07:46:27 AM »
I grill them like that too...super yummy...and actually frank it's more of a chore to remove those husks hot then they are at room temp..I've had moments of this  :censored: removing hot husks...but the taste is sooo worth it.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 08:06:17 AM »

Hi5!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Paul Heinzman

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 08:44:28 AM »

Microwave popcorn is vile. I have a Stir Crazy and we love it.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 09:22:35 AM »
:sad1:

We have movie theater/state fair style popcorn machines at work and someone makes a fresh batch every morning.  I get my fill of popcorn at the office.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 10:38:04 AM »
Microwave popcorn is vile. I have a Stir Crazy and we love it.
Agree a stir kettle is good, but popcorn can't get any better than Orville Redenbacher microwave Movie Theater Butter, it's ready in two minutes, and you don't need to store a separate appliance.

If you want vile, you have to go back to the pre-microwave days, when hot-air popcorn poppers first came out. The popcorn was so dry, you couldn't put salt on it. Any salt would just pool on the bottom of the bowl. They had a little compartment on top that you could put butter in, so it would melt and drip down as the corn popped. If you used it, the popcorn wouldn't be dry, it would be soggy. And the machine was as loud as a leaf blower. I think they still make hot-air poppers, but can't imagine they could be as bad as the old ones.

Offline Paul Heinzman

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 11:01:23 AM »
Agree a stir kettle is good, but popcorn can't get any better than Orville Redenbacher microwave Movie Theater Butter, it's ready in two minutes, and you don't need to store a separate appliance.

If you want vile, you have to go back to the pre-microwave days, when hot-air popcorn poppers first came out. The popcorn was so dry, you couldn't put salt on it. Any salt would just pool on the bottom of the bowl. They had a little compartment on top that you could put butter in, so it would melt and drip down as the corn popped. If you used it, the popcorn wouldn't be dry, it would be soggy. And the machine was as loud as a leaf blower. I think they still make hot-air poppers, but can't imagine they could be as bad as the old ones.

Yes, those were terrible. They had that little cup on top for melting butter to drip in but the holes were too small for more than a drop or two to get through before becoming clogged.

Jiffy Pop was a wonderful experience too. Nothing like the feeling of salty popcorn on the third degree burns you'd get from the pan.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 11:10:51 AM »

I only use a hot-air popper.  It is only a couple of years old, though.  I don't use the butter feature though, because it is messy, and awful.  To my knowledge, it is one of only two luxury one-job primitive style appliances that I own; both are used for making popcorn. 

The other one-job primitive appliance that I own is an ancient Presto Hot Topper.  It gets one use around here, which is to put butter on my popcorn.  The spousal unit won't even touch it, since she is afraid she will break it, and that I would die from the heartache.  I really need to pick up another one, and hide it away somewhere, so I have an extra. 

Offline Paul Heinzman

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 11:27:29 AM »

Somebody was really hungry and took a bite out of the owner's manual.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »
Seriously, DUmmies?  Here's one I guarantee will blow your minds and have you either screaming about how bad it is for you, while at the same time you run to your grills and copy it yourselves.

I do NOT, repeat NOT, boil corn, nor do I put it in a microwave.  EVER.  I shuck the corn of husk and silk, place the ears on foil, and then generously (and I mean GENEROUSLY) butter them with at least a tablespoon of butter or margarine per ear, then top it with seasoned salt.

Place on grill, rotate every so often to keep from burning.  When tender to touch, you're done.  No need to butter anything--already done for you.

Scoobie lives for these.  Matter of fact, we're having some tonight.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 01:41:32 PM »
this topic worried me -

I was thinking the same thing, miskie. :thatsright: :o
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 04:08:24 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, miskie. :thatsright: :o

It's so heartwarming to know that other minds went to the same place mine did.  :-)

And embarassing to know that I am the only woman who admitted it.  :thatsright:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 04:14:25 PM »
Heh, I did corn on the cob (on the grill) still in the husk with cilantro and butter.  Damn good.

And, no, we did NOT leave the husks on when they were ready.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.