Author Topic: the scam that rocked the internet  (Read 6678 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
the scam that rocked the internet
« on: May 03, 2011, 08:13:13 AM »
I didn't miss the day; I just never got around to posting this.

This past Saturday, April 30, circa 3:30 p.m. central time, 2:30 p.m. mountain time, marked the sixth anniversary of the beginning of the scam that rocked the internet.

And today (Tuesday), circa 10:00 a.m. central time, 9:00 a.m. mountain time, marks the sixth anniversary of one of the most ludicrous aspects of Doug's stupid ex-wife's prank; when it was announced the primitives had broken into the mail-room at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore during the middle of the night, to find a "check" that had gotten lost there.

And so on it went, the scam that rocked the internet.

Those with knowledge of real facts in real life know that the late red round one had first been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in late autumn 2004 (October, if the memory serves me correctly), and that an operation to salvage the situation (it didn't) took place in Seattle in February 2005, after which the late red round one knew his clock was running out.  He seemed to accept it with poise and equanimity.

So why the scam, that began circa mid-afternoon April 30, 2005?

Only one person knows, and even she doesn't know, having decomposed into non compos mentis the past six years, from a too-enthusiastic use of pharmaceuticals.  Doug's stupid ex-wife (known as "sfexpat2000" during the scam) has demonstrably proven her deterioration into premature arteriosclerosis since the scam; her cerebral cells now brittle or petrified or fossilized.

And so we'll never know.

There is no synopsis or summary of the scam available (and so please don't anybody ask for one), because even those who know the real-life facts, all come up with different ideas.  It's like a form of Japanese drama, where there's several eyewitnesses to a single event.....but each eyewitness describes the exact same thing differently.

So if one isn't familiar with the scam that rocked the internet, ignore this and go on to read something else.

But of those who were around, and watched, what are some of your fondest memories of this thing that makes a Rube Goldberg contraption look simple and efficient in comparison?

I'm busy today, but I'll be describing my own this evening, and then tomorrow (Wednesday).

It was truly something to watch, Doug's stupid ex-wife making an ass of herself; and in front of hundreds of thousands of people.  There were days when the traffic on P-J Comix's DUmmie FUnnies--one single thread among several hundred each day on freerepublic--exceeded traffic on the whole entire Skins's island, which should give one an idea of the magnitude of the scam that rocked the internet.

(By the way, May 12, nine days hence, marks the fifth anniversary of Fitzmas, when the Bostonian Drunkard made an ass of himself over the non-Indictment of Karl Rove, and that anniversary will be noted at its own appropriate time.)
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: the scam that rocked the internet
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 08:15:43 AM »
Six years already?  Wow.

According to DU, I "killed" Andy just yesterday.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 08:31:16 AM »
These are my earliest CU memories. Didn't Will Pitt come over for a time and have long discussions with everyone?
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:38:05 AM »
I remember when he signed up as 'Rover' :???: and trolled with a bunch of bullshit, but I didn't sign up until the middle of 2005 and missed most of the fun.

edit: that might have been DA that did that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:45:22 AM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 08:39:34 AM »
These are my earliest CU memories. Didn't Will Pitt come over for a time and have long discussions with everyone?

He did, and his screen-name is escaping me at the moment. :???:

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 08:50:54 AM »
I remember when he signed up as 'Rover' :???: and trolled with a bunch of bullshit, but I didn't sign up until the middle of 2005 and missed most of the fun.

edit: that might have been DA that did that.

DA was later, I think, and was one of my all-time favorite DUmmies for his sheer hatred and bile.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 08:53:09 AM »
DA was later, I think, and was one of my all-time favorite DUmmies for his sheer hatred and bile.

You mean DistressedAmerican, the one who openly bragged about sleeping with his sister?

Offline ReaganForRushmore

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 09:01:48 AM »

You forgot morbid stupidity in your description.

Offline commonguymd

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 09:30:54 AM »
memories

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 10:05:09 AM »
The Scamdy Affair. My God, what a mess it was at CU. It dragged on for months. It is one of the biggest scandals I have seen.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 10:25:01 AM »
We haven't had an honest election since the freepers killed Andy.
The only safeguards against fascism we had were Andy and a few dust bunnies.

My favorite single post of the entire saga was the one where the drunken plagiarist Pitt vowed to grind franksolich under his bootheel, scrape him off with his knife, and feed him to his cat. Thankfully, Pitt has never been a man of his word, except when he announces a plan to get drunk.

Poor, stupid Beth has long since squandered the loot from the swindle. She lost her apartment in sodomy city, moved into the little hump-backed camper in the desert, and now is apparently being evicted from it.

It's tragic that she didn't find someone to invest the Scamdy proceeds for her. Remember, this was at the height of the Bush Prosperity. It was nearly impossible to find an investment that would not yield double-digit returns. If she had done that, and then had the wisdom to see the jug-eared catastrophe on the horizon, she could be well-fixed today, feasting on lobster and sea scallops every night, instead of facing homelessness without a Buick.

Offline commonguymd

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 11:15:16 AM »
We haven't had an honest election since the freepers killed Andy.
The only safeguards against fascism we had were Andy and a few dust bunnies.

My favorite single post of the entire saga was the one where the drunken plagiarist Pitt vowed to grind franksolich under his bootheel, scrape him off with his knife, and feed him to his cat. Thankfully, Pitt has never been a man of his word, except when he announces a plan to get drunk.

Poor, stupid Beth has long since squandered the loot from the swindle. She lost her apartment in sodomy city, moved into the little hump-backed camper in the desert, and now is apparently being evicted from it.

It's tragic that she didn't find someone to invest the Scamdy proceeds for her. Remember, this was at the height of the Bush Prosperity. It was nearly impossible to find an investment that would not yield double-digit returns. If she had done that, and then had the wisdom to see the jug-eared catastrophe on the horizon, she could be well-fixed today, feasting on lobster and sea scallops every night, instead of facing homelessness without a Buick.

wow, is that true about Beth - poor, destitute and in a precarious eviction situation?  She lives in a trailer now? Was she the one married to a comic too?  I remember her raking in the dough polluting DU with fundraiser threads, and I think she had some expensive real estate in a posh neighborhood.  Maybe I got her confused with someone else, and I wonder if she bilked Flyarm out of money.   I don't think she did anything other than sponge off her husband and fund raise if I remember correctly.   So darn long ago.   She was a fair to moderate looker as I remember too, but a little polluted in the head.  Just a little.  Haha.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 11:57:49 AM »
Not exactly a fond memory, kinda twisted really. I was in our secret hideout with a couple of the other ladies who'd been working on Scamdy. This was post surgery when Andy was admitted into the Seattle hospital crawling with silverfish. Well, they convinced me to call the hospital and find out whether he was there, how he was doing, etc (this is not something I'm comfortable with, usually preferring to stay in the background doing research). Well, somehow or other the operator ended up trying to connect me to his room or the floor or something because someone answered and asked me who I was. Later I found out he'd passed while I was on the phone with the hospital. Creepy.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 12:07:27 PM »
Not exactly a fond memory, kinda twisted really. I was in our secret hideout with a couple of the other ladies who'd been working on Scamdy. This was post surgery when Andy was admitted into the Seattle hospital crawling with silverfish. Well, they convinced me to call the hospital and find out whether he was there, how he was doing, etc (this is not something I'm comfortable with, usually preferring to stay in the background doing research). Well, somehow or other the operator ended up trying to connect me to his room or the floor or something because someone answered and asked me who I was. Later I found out he'd passed while I was on the phone with the hospital. Creepy.

Cindie
I had forgotten the silverfish!! The poor moonbat had to travel 3000 miles to find a bug-free hospital.

And yes, poor, stupid Beth lost her posh digs in the gay Ci-tay. Furthermore, she served as her mother's financial adviser to the extent that the old lady lost her house. Then both of them and Beth's poor, stupid dogs moved into a little camping trailer somewhere in the California desert where the old lady owned a patch of sand. At one time years ago, she apparently dreamed of it being a horse farm. A month or two ago, poor, stupid Beth put up a couple of posts about how the bank was getting ready to take the place. No word on whether the camper has wheels, or if the bank is taking it as well.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 12:59:48 PM »
I never realized that scam started on Walpurgisnacht. I wonder if that has any significance in the DUmmie calendar?
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline sharkhawk

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 01:02:26 PM »
I never forget arguing with a Freeper and CUer Speed something.  Claimed to know everyone and everything.

Recalling him, I wonder if was TIT.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 01:19:48 PM »
I never forget arguing with a Freeper and CUer Speed something.  Claimed to know everyone and everything.

Recalling him, I wonder if was TIT.

Speed Addiction.  He still posts at CU.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 01:22:43 PM »

The guy that claimed to be a Ranger?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 01:24:48 PM »
The guy that claimed to be a Ranger?

That would be him.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 01:26:45 PM »
That would be him.

He was a good mole at DU though.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 01:31:51 PM »
He was a good mole at DU though.

Yeah, some of his moles were classic back in the day.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 02:45:23 PM »

I remember Speed Addiction. I remember more when he claimed he went to prison and had a criminal record. I thought it was dubious because who brags about going to prison and having a criminal record.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline commonguymd

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 03:00:26 PM »
I remember Speed Addiction. I remember more when he claimed he went to prison and had a criminal record. I thought it was dubious because who brags about going to prison and having a criminal record.

ditto

There was more to that inclination though, but my memory is foggy but I still have a bit of detail in my brain to a setup that was done for giving information to minions running the Scam that rocked the internet.   suffice to say, I lost a large semblance of trust. 

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 03:52:25 PM »
I just saw that scamdy.com now redirects to the Democratic Warrior forum.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 03:53:22 PM »
Ahh, the 'scamdal' - perhaps the most botched thing that DU ever got itself entangled with - yet its main (surviving) components continue to actively post there.  

Proving once again - it's not what you do, it's who you vote for - when you're a liberal. If the entire Scamdal surrounded conservatives as it did DU, the conservative website would be closed, after it's owners went through a costly investigation - and the co-conspirators would certainly be in prison.