Author Topic: Ayn Rand Collected SS  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Ayn Rand Collected SS
« on: January 26, 2011, 05:35:24 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x272214

I've been watching this thread for a while now.  I don't think the DUmmies know the difference between collecting SS and collecting SS disability.  I seriously don't think they understand that someone who is drawing SS benefits are actually drawing against something they have put into vs. someone who is drawing SSDI who is taking from a system they have no investment in.

lame54  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jan-25-11 08:06 PM
Original message

Ayn Rand Collected SS

http://www.patiastephens.com/2010/12/05/ayn-rand-receiv... /

Between December 1974 and her death in March 1982, Rand collected a total of $11,002 in monthly Social Security payments. O’Connor received $2,943 between December 1974 and his death in November 1979.

The couple registered for benefits shortly after Rand, a two-pack-a-day smoker, had surgery for lung cancer in the summer of 1974. Medicare had been enacted nine years earlier in the Social Security Act of 1965 to provide health insurance to those age 65 and older.

Rand herself called altruism a “basic evil” and referred to those who perpetuate the system of taxation and redistribution as “looters” and “moochers.” She wrote in her book “The Virtue of Selfishness” that accepting any government controls is “delivering oneself into gradual enslavement.” In a 1972 edition of her newsletter, she said:

Morally and economically, the welfare state creates an ever accelerating downward pull. Morally, the chance to satisfy demands by force spreads the demands wider and wider, with less and less pretense at justification. Economically, the forced demands of one group create hardships for all others, thus producing an inextricable mixture of actual victims and plain parasites. Since need, not achievement, is held as the criterion of rewards, the government necessarily keeps sacrificing the more productive groups to the less productive, gradually chaining the top level of the economy, then the next level, then the next.

Rand often spoke of moral absolutism, saying “There can be no compromise on basic principles,” but the realities of aging and illness seem to have softened her stance. Social Security, and perhaps Medicare, allowed Rand and her husband to maintain their quality of life, remain in their apartment and live out their final years with dignity.

boston bean  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jan-25-11 08:25 PM
Response to Reply #22

23. when the tea party first started you know what their call to arms was?

Edited on Tue Jan-25-11 08:26 PM by boston bean

their next door neighbor free loading and possibly get a mortgage modification.

Not the banks, not wall street, not derivatives, not credit default swaps, not corporate greed.

Their neighbors were free loaders, stupid and living beyond their means.

the whole thing makes me sick. PUKE is right!

edit sp

Wonder which word was misspelled?  Puke?  default? Free loading? 

neverforget  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jan-25-11 08:42 PM
Response to Reply #23

33. They're freeloaders but don't touch my SS or Medicare!
 hypocrites

fascisthunter  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jan-25-11 08:09 PM
Response to Original message

8. I know plenty of righties on SS
 bunch of selfish goons.

charlie  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jan-25-11 08:11 PM
Response to Original message

12. Atlas Mooched n/t

It's a huge, long thread.  I just don't think they understand the difference between contributing and not contributing.  That is the big disconnect for them.  They really don't realize they have no skin in the game.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline jukin

Re: Ayn Rand Collected SS
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 05:38:03 PM »
Ayn Rand paid for it, she was forced to invest is SS.  She should get her money back.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 05:39:41 PM »
Ayn Rand paid for it, she was forced to invest is SS.  She should get her money back.

Exactly

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 05:40:17 PM »
I'm sure that by 1974, Ayn Rand was at least 65 years old, and so that was social security retirement, to which she had contributed.

It surprises me, the amount, though--$11,000 in a little over seven years?

Maybe we should scale the retarded cross-eyed Iowa primitive's, and the subway cat's, and the worthless freeloading bum the wily primitive's payments back to something like that, so as to save the disability money for those who honestly need it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »
The goons bitchin about conservatives taking SS, is like complaining that conservatives take their tax refunds. In both cases it is money taken from them by govt force.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »
I'm sure that by 1974, Ayn Rand was at least 65 years old, and so that was social security retirement, to which she had contributed.

It surprises me, the amount, though--$11,000 in a little over seven years?

Maybe we should scale the retarded cross-eyed Iowa primitive's, and the subway cat's, and the worthless freeloading bum the wily primitive's payments back to something like that, so as to save the disability money for those who honestly need it.

That was what shocked me too frank.  Imagine paying all that money in and getting $11,000.00 back and the DUmmies somehow think Ayn Rand was being 'supported' by a system she, like most of us, wanted nothing to do with.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 06:00:48 PM »
One has to keep in mind that in order to pay in to SS one must be doing some productive activity.

I am sure many primitives think of SS as a freebie.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 07:45:36 PM »
Newsflash, DUmmies--even in 1974, $200 a month wasn't shit.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 07:57:09 PM »
I am sure many primitives think of SS as a freebie.
For most of them, who collect SSI, it is.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 12:28:40 AM »
Darned right I'm going to grab back as much as I can from SS to recoup my losses.

Refund what I've already paid in and exempt me from future confiscation, and I'll gladly do without it.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 12:41:37 AM »
Darned right I'm going to grab back as much as I can from SS to recoup my losses.

Refund what I've already paid in and exempt me from future confiscation, and I'll gladly do without it.

Exactly how I feel. Give me back all of the money I paid in and I'll do it on my own. Of course, we ALL know that ain't gonna happen.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 04:28:52 AM »

Hell, I'd be happy if they just stopped taking it, and they can keep what they already have taken from me...

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 05:26:17 AM »
Nothing seems to enrage a moonbat more than the mere mention of Rand's name.

Typically ignorant asswipes.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 05:39:17 AM »
Nothing seems to enrage a moonbat more than the mere mention of Rand's name.

Typically ignorant asswipes.

That's because they know deep down that they'd be the ones on the other side of the bridge as the rubble fell.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 06:23:27 AM »
Lurking DUmmies,since you are too lazy to do it I will give you a link from the first page of a simple Google search of the words "Noam Chomsky Hypocrite.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=noam+chomsky+hypocrite&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

Enjoy. :cheersmate:

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 06:59:49 AM »
Lurking DUmmies,since you are too lazy to do it I will give you a link from the first page of a simple Google search of the words "Noam Chomsky Hypocrite.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=noam+chomsky+hypocrite&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

Enjoy. :cheersmate:

That'll leave a mark!  H5, neighbor! :cheersmate:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 07:45:03 AM »
Ayn Rand was born in February 1905, which means this was, obviously, old age and retirement social security, into which she had paid.

Since one was allowed to begin drawing at 62 years of age--she began drawing some months shy of 65--probably her illness compelled her to file early, which reduced the monthly amount she was given.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 09:38:43 AM »
The Government took your contributions to it from you in the form of FICA or the Self-Employment Tax, there is certainly no shame in collecting them back in accordinace with the rules under which the money was taken in the first place.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 09:47:35 AM »

Exactly.  We're all forced to pay into it, yet I have absolutely no expectation of getting any $$$ back.  Anything I would possibly receive is only a bonus.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Karin

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 12:34:01 PM »
Ugh.  I used to belong to a book of the month club, and if you didn't send the slip of paper back in time, the featured book was sent automatically.  I forgot, and they sent me a Chomsky book.  It's sitting on my bookshelf, what should I do with this thing? 

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 12:43:59 PM »
author=Karin link=topic=54627.msg619428#msg619428 date=1296153241]
Ugh.  I used to belong to a book of the month club, and if you didn't send the slip of paper back in time, the featured book was sent automatically.  I forgot, and they sent me a Chomsky book.  It's sitting on my bookshelf, what should I do with this thing?

eBay. The world of eBay includes countless moonbats.

Actually, it could be worse. It could be one of those plagiarized pamphlets published at DUmmy Raven's expense, written by her colossal disappointment, the hopeless alcoholic William Rivers Pitt. In that case, eBay would be a waste of time.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:02:07 PM by GOBUCKS »

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 12:53:54 PM »

I been payin' in for 40 years! I'll never get back what I have paid into it, DUmbass! Just cause I'm a righty I'm supposed to give it to you? May work in Uranus, but not in my universe!

FOAD!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 01:04:53 PM »
Ugh.  I used to belong to a book of the month club, and if you didn't send the slip of paper back in time, the featured book was sent automatically.  I forgot, and they sent me a Chomsky book.  It's sitting on my bookshelf, what should I do with this thing? 

Well, are ya out of TP yet? Or if ya have a wood stove, the pages and a little "Old Indian Trick", ( diesel ), work great as fire starter!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 01:11:26 PM »
eBay. The world of eBay includes countless moonbats.

Actually, it could be worse. It could be one of those plagiarized pamphlets published at DUmmy Raven's expense, written by her colossal disappointment, the hopeless alcoholic William Rivers Pitt. In that case, eBay would be a waste of time.

And therefore, an ironically appropriate destination for one of his overpunctuated bloviations.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.