Author Topic: I Am A Bernie Supporter And Lost A Bet To A Trump Supporter  (Read 8482 times)

Offline I_B_Perky

Re: I Am A Bernie Supporter And Lost A Bet To A Trump Supporter
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2016, 07:48:54 PM »
I can't remember where I heard it--it could have been here, a few months ago--Your academic major should put food on your table and pay your bills.  Your academic minor should be what you love to do.  If they're the same thing, so much the better.

What BSS said.

My 2 cents... minor in computer science as well as what you love to do.  Most organizations I know of are willing to train a person in what they need to know, accounting, personnel, etc. What they are not willing to do is teach basic computer skills.  If you got a minor in computer science, that makes you real attractive.  Organizations also like the math needed for that minor.  Proves you are not an idiot.

Now drop and give me 50 pushups. After every pushup, yell Trump is really good, Bernie is soon to be worm food.   :tongue:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2016, 08:21:07 PM »
On the chance this is all true,I would ask in light of the part I highlighted...why are you a bernie supporter?

I noticed that that question was dodged completely.  I am very curious, myself.  Maybe, tomorrow.  :whatever:

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2016, 08:29:16 PM »

Hi there. I am a Bernie supporter and a sophomore in college.
Welcome to CC.

I disagree with Bernie on everything. I will never vote for him.
BUT.
I respect Bernie Sanders a lot. This is a man who does not lie...even if it costs him votes. I can see his appeal when compared to the constant stream of lies from Hillary.

I also think Mr Sanders would be much more difficult to beat than Hillary. You cannot sling mud at an honest man. So I salute you for recognizing one of the last few statesmen in the Senate.

with that said, I cannot believe Bernie could deliver on his promises without a willing congress.
Further I feel cheating By Hillary will make this a one person contest in a few weeks.
*** I just wish Bernie would not be so polite and really attack Hillary.

Good luck with your bet. I learned the hard way not to make bets like that.

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 08:35:10 PM »
Hopefully at some point Bernie Supporter you will come to realize that there is no way Bernie Sanders can make college free or excuse existing student loans. Nothing is free in this life. Bernie and his buds are simply trying to find someone else to pay the bill. If this were to happen our our entire university system would collapse. Not only that, majors that have little or no marketable value would disappear.

I know that no one on campus wants to hear this or acknowledge that it is where we could be headed. I know, I'm one of those old dudes that you see in your classes from time to time. I started taking classes in community college for a hobby and now I'm 15 credits short of a Biology AS degree. I have no debt on this education because I work full time and take at most 7 credits per semester. All but one of my classes (a 3 credit English class) have been in Math and Sciences. Next year I'm taking Organic Chemistry 1&2. Then one upper level Biology class and college English 2 and I walk with a degree that I will probably never use as I'm two years away from having enough to retire. However I intend to work full time at my present job until I hit 70 or the company shows me the door. And let me mention that I have a BS degree from way back although I haven't asked the CC to transfer credits but some will transfer when I make the request.

I know for certain that even in the less expensive community college setting there are a lot of students that do not belong there. They simply are not functioning at a college level. My college offers 10 classes in basic math (addition and subtraction), 15 classes in pre-algebra and 30 classes in Elementary Algebra (which is basically 1st year of high school algebra). And yet the drop out rate in those classes is about 50% which is pathetic.

Anyway as other have said I appreciate your honesty, really I do.  Contrary to what is generally believed, being a conservative on a college campus takes courage on many levels. Being a Christian on campus takes even more courage, especially if you are in a secular or public university. The often heard charge against conservatives that they are anti-science is simply not true. While I don't believe (for example) in evolution as taught by Darwin I certainly understand it and I certainly know at least as much, if not considerably more, than 90% of those who accuse conservatives of being simple minded.

Study hard and master math and sciences. Take the challenging classes. Get through those and you can go anywhere. If you fumble, get up and try again. I look forward to your follow-up posts.
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 09:33:37 PM »
Bernie supporter... there is a lot of good advice being given here.  Most of the people here are successful... successful being defined as they can support themselves, pay the bills, have a decent life.

Now for my 2 cents again.  When I was your age, I wanted to be wealthy. Who doesn't?  So what I did I asked people that were wealthy what they did to get that way. 

The advice was always the same.  Do not live beyond your means and save your money. For every 3 raises you get, save the first two. Take the third to maintain your standard of living due to inflation.  The reason for this is you are already living on x amount, it is hard to go back to x amount as soon as you are living on y amount.  Start investing in index funds as soon as you get your first paycheck.  At first it will seem like you are not getting ahead. The first $100,000 saved is the hardest. Once you hit that, things will start to roll. Buy the cheapest transportation possible and drive it until the wheels fall off.  Work harder than everyone else.  Take the shit jobs nobody else wants and do them to the best of your ability with a smile.  Sooner or later your boss will look at you and discover you are pretty much running the place and he/she can't afford to let you go. That is when the money will come.

Do this over 30 years you will be looking at a fairly easy retirement when you get there.  It works. I know it does because it worked for me and it  can and will work for you.

Just remember, there is no free lunch.

Good luck to you.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 12:32:50 AM »
Hey, I'm on a roll!

Did you know that some of the Scandinavian paradises you want to help Bernie turn us into have middle class tax rates of 40+%? Or that some of them are scaling back their welfare programs? Or that the tax on a new car is 100%? Or that they can afford their goodies because they spend so little on national defense because they know they can count on NATO the USA to save their butts?

On healthcare, do you know that one Canadian official who needed a minimally invasive mitral valve replacement came to the US? Why do you suppose that happened?

Important correction for ya, there.  NATO couldn't save a grown man with a life vest drowning in a wading pool.

To the OP, once you are off your no-arguing moratorium I would like to FINALLY have an open and honest discussion on what you see in Sanders and his positions.  A small sneak peak: Be ready for "who will pay for it" and "how will capital be possible to pay for it."
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 12:35:55 AM »
What BSS said.

My 2 cents... minor in computer science as well as what you love to do.  Most organizations I know of are willing to train a person in what they need to know, accounting, personnel, etc. What they are not willing to do is teach basic computer skills.  If you got a minor in computer science, that makes you real attractive.  Organizations also like the math needed for that minor.  Proves you are not an idiot.

Now drop and give me 50 pushups. After every pushup, yell Trump is really good, Bernie is soon to be worm food.   :tongue:

Respectfully disagree, but only in shading.  CS is only useful if you want to do programming, design operating systems, work in robotics, AI and other types of fields.  Business computing with some knowledge of how computers work is what is being sought in the private sector. 
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 04:40:30 AM »
Welcome to CC.

I disagree with Bernie on everything. I will never vote for him.
BUT.
I respect Bernie Sanders a lot. This is a man who does not lie...even if it costs him votes. I can see his appeal when compared to the constant stream of lies from Hillary.

I also think Mr Sanders would be much more difficult to beat than Hillary. You cannot sling mud at an honest man. So I salute you for recognizing one of the last few statesmen in the Senate.

with that said, I cannot believe Bernie could deliver on his promises without a willing congress.
Further I feel cheating By Hillary will make this a one person contest in a few weeks.
*** I just wish Bernie would not be so polite and really attack Hillary.

Good luck with your bet. I learned the hard way not to make bets like that.

I made a bet with a retired friend, on the outcome of the last election (2012).  Lost $100 over that one.

Yes, Bernie is honest--a rare thing among politicians these days.  I respect him for that, as well as you do, Mr. Mann . . . But that's about it.  Maybe also because Bernie hasn't shown himself to be a slobbering gun-grabber.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 11:57:41 AM »
Wanted to give the daily update (as per the terms of my bet.)

I had to have coffee at the ready for my friend at 9 a.m. I also had to meet with him after class  another coffee and a bottle of water. I also had to run and grab him a sandwich for lunch. All doing so while wearing a Making America Great Hat he dug up somewhere. All good harmless (but super annoying) fun.

I have a "break" from my duties for my class this afternoon plus some time to do some classwork. After dinner, I will be driving my friend to his parents' house in the suburbs. He said he told his dad about our wager, and his dad had a big laugh. His dad is of the opinion like here that us Bernie supporters are lazy and whiny and I can expect to do some hard work to be taught my lesson. I've got a car to wash and some floors to scrub while my friend and his dad are going to enjoy cigars in the basement. And, naturally, I might have some additional duties as they see fit.

His dad is going to sit down with me after and talk about what it's like starting and owning his own business. My friend saw the suggestion for me to have a writing assignment on here about how increased taxes would affect my wages. His dad is going to talk me through how increased taxes (and Obamacare already) have affected his business and personal income. I will post the results of this conversation either tonight or tomorrow.

I am grinning and bearing it. Walking back on a bet is the worst thing someone can do, IMO. So I'll live with it for the week, as much as I'd rather do anything else than to do some chores at a house in the suburbs on a Monday night. (Wrestling's on. This is where we came up with the idea where the loser had to work for the other person for a set period of time. I'll have to watch it next week.)

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2016, 12:09:04 PM »

I did 25 push-ups instead and said "Trump For America" alternated with "Bernie Is A Loser" in our dorm lounge that was completely empty. Forgot to add that part.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2016, 12:28:38 PM »
I did 25 push-ups instead and said "Trump For America" alternated with "Bernie Is A Loser" in our dorm lounge that was completely empty. Forgot to add that part.

I just gave you another H5.  You've got a sense of humor, and that's a rare thing amongst your side.  I've got a Bernie supporter in the next cube over from me, and she's quite vociferous in her disdain for HilLIARy.  Her sense of humor isn't anywhere near as large as yours, I think.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2016, 12:29:58 PM »
I just gave you another H5.  You've got a sense of humor, and that's a rare thing amongst your side.  I've got a Bernie supporter in the next cube over from me, and she's quite vociferous in her disdain for HilLIARy.  Her sense of humor isn't anywhere near as large as yours, I think.

Thank you and I'm still required to ask for any and all similar tasks/chores/etc.

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2016, 01:04:25 PM »
How about a writing assignment?

Imagine you have your dream job, making $50,000/year. Do a budget with all the things you need, and all the things you want. Include health insurance premium and 401k. Figure in the taxes at different rates, and see how that changes your discretionary income. Decide what you will be willing to give up for the higher taxes it will take to fund all of Bernie's wish list. Vacation? New car? Savings?

Just to break this out, I'm meeting with my friend's dad tonight. He heard about the bet and loves it. So naturally, he's going to put this "spoiled Bernie supporter" to do some chores and labor around his house. But also he's going to sit down with me and talk to me about how Bernie's wish list (along with other taxes already) will affect his business.

I showed my friend your writing assignment idea. He loved it. Expect to have something later tonight for your kind feedback.

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2016, 01:23:04 PM »
Here's a thought:

Read Article 1, Section 8 of the US Constitution. 

Look at the list of federal government departments, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_executive_departments

Determine which departments whose existence would be downright illegal if the constitution were enforced as the supreme law of the land.  Please note that it does not include sub-departmental agencies such as BATFE (which ought to be abolished as a Second Amendment violation and then trademarked as a chain of convenience stores)  :wink:.

Perhaps you will find that some of them contain, at least, some constitutional function.  See if you can suggest merging them with another related department.

I got the list of constitutional, streamlined departments down to five.  My challenge to you is to get down to seven or fewer, bonus points (including a note of praise sent to your bet challenger) if you get the same five I did.  Huge kudos if you manage to get to four, and tell me how you did it!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:25:21 PM by ExGeeEye »
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Karin

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2016, 01:26:59 PM »
I agree with BSS that you, BernieBro, have a rare sense of humor, and you're also a very good sport.  I have to say that your friend negotiates a tough deal, look out for that guy. 

My idea for an activity is to read The People's Cube.  It's a heck of a lot of fun, yeah, but it also shows the dangers of Communism, which is what Socialism turns into.  Bring a shovel and warm clothing!

Thanks for visiting us. 

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2016, 01:31:32 PM »
I'd be interested in knowing what our Bernie supporter's views on the 2nd Amendment are.

Chase her.

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2016, 02:13:33 PM »
Not sure how many more reading/writing assignment I can tack on by the end of the wager. Have too much schoolwork to do on top of everything else.

However, I was just told to ask what sorta things you'd like a "spoiled Bernie supporter" such as myself to do tonight at my friend's parents' house for me to learn the value of elbow grease and manual hard work. Described to me as a 4-BR, 2.5-bathroom house with an expansive front and back lawn, pool and state-of-the-art mancave. I haven't been to my friend's house before but our mutual friend who has been there described it as sounding like a borderline mansion.

Will check in with an update and my writing assignment (after talking with my friend's dad) later on tonight.

Literally, please suggest all the things you can think of. All in good fun with good humor. This is going to make a good story for everyone so the more detailed the requests for me to carry out the better.

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2016, 02:46:26 PM »
Not sure how many more reading/writing assignment I can tack on by the end of the wager. Have too much schoolwork to do on top of everything else.

However, I was just told to ask what sorta things you'd like a "spoiled Bernie supporter" such as myself to do tonight at my friend's parents' house for me to learn the value of elbow grease and manual hard work. Described to me as a 4-BR, 2.5-bathroom house with an expansive front and back lawn, pool and state-of-the-art mancave. I haven't been to my friend's house before but our mutual friend who has been there described it as sounding like a borderline mansion.

Will check in with an update and my writing assignment (after talking with my friend's dad) later on tonight.

Literally, please suggest all the things you can think of. All in good fun with good humor. This is going to make a good story for everyone so the more detailed the requests for me to carry out the better.
Don't let your bet sabotage your grades and/or classwork!

I'm trying to figure out how to work in something about my personal avocation, so, here's a two-part math problem for you.

I am the treasurer for a no-kill animal shelter. With current minimum wage at $8.40 (here in Michigan) our six part-time employees, whose duties are pretty much limited to kennel cleaning, have a bi-weekly payroll of about $1400.00. If minimum wage goes up to $15/hour, what would the new bi-weekly payroll total?

That's the easy part.

Here's the hard part: How would their five-person volunteer board of directors raise the funds to meet the increase?

Hardest part: If we could no longer do it, what would happen to the 25--30 dogs and 100 cats who are our residents at any given time? What would happen to future strays?

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2016, 02:54:36 PM »
Don't let your bet sabotage your grades and/or classwork!

I'm trying to figure out how to work in something about my personal avocation, so, here's a two-part math problem for you.

I am the treasurer for a no-kill animal shelter. With current minimum wage at $8.40 (here in Michigan) our six part-time employees, whose duties are pretty much limited to kennel cleaning, have a bi-weekly payroll of about $1400.00. If minimum wage goes up to $15/hour, what would the new bi-weekly payroll total?

That's the easy part.

Here's the hard part: How would their five-person volunteer board of directors raise the funds to meet the increase?

Hardest part: If we could no longer do it, what would happen to the 25--30 dogs and 100 cats who are our residents at any given time? What would happen to future strays?

It has been a while since I've had to do math (the joys of a liberal arts education). So I think I have the computation right.

$1500 per two weeks equals 233.33 hours the staff works.

Changing that to $15 an hour now means payroll costs $3500.

That is the math part.

The first tricky part: The board would have to ask for more donations? I don't know how all that works.

The hardest part: I really don't want to imagine this.

Won't let this sabotage my grades/classwork. It's a relatively easy week for me. Thankfully I don't have any papers due, and we allowed for flexibility for classes and homework. (My last class just wrapped up and I'm free until 7.)

Since I answered that quickly (and hopefully got the answer right), want to add on to the list of chores and tasks? The more I'm given the more entertaining it is for everyone involved.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2016, 03:06:11 PM »
Berniesupporter, I congratulate you on your good humor and honorable response to losing a wager.

I suspect you'll find yourself to be less of a Sanders man at the end of this journey, than at the beginning.

I won't suggest any homework, because I can guarantee you would fall behind on your classwork if you attacked my reading list.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 03:09:19 PM by Big Dog »
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2016, 03:34:08 PM »

I do not want you to sacrifice any schoolwork to answer my questions on the 2nd Amendment.  I will make that clear now.  I just want you to think about the 2nd, and how other supporters of Bernie might be averse to said right.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 03:37:24 PM by BlueStateSaint »

Chase her.

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2016, 04:09:07 PM »
It has been a while since I've had to do math (the joys of a liberal arts education). So I think I have the computation right.

$1500 per two weeks equals 233.33 hours the staff works.

Changing that to $15 an hour now means payroll costs $3500.

That is the math part.

The first tricky part: The board would have to ask for more donations? I don't know how all that works.

The hardest part: I really don't want to imagine this.

Won't let this sabotage my grades/classwork. It's a relatively easy week for me. Thankfully I don't have any papers due, and we allowed for flexibility for classes and homework. (My last class just wrapped up and I'm free until 7.)

Since I answered that quickly (and hopefully got the answer right), want to add on to the list of chores and tasks? The more I'm given the more entertaining it is for everyone involved.
Sorry, no. The actual answer is about $1100 more per pay period. That amounts to more than $28,000 per year additionally.

We do occasionally request donations from the community, but usually in an emergency situation, like when we took in 50 huskies three years ago from a neglect situation, or 25 huskies last fall.

Usually we get our funding through fundraisers--golf outings, soup luncheons, etc. We have to put on a heck of a lot of those in order to keep on going! We charge adoption fees, but those don't come close to covering the spay/neuter, vaccinations, etc. that all of our animals get before we let them leave.

I seriously don't know how we could possibly raise that much more every year. And, I also don't want to think about what would happen to our animals.

All this is by way of saying that there will be a downside to all of Sanders' proposals, things that a lot of people might not be aware of.

I think you have enough on your plate, without adding more tasks! I'm glad you are seeing this as a fun thing, and hopefully a learning experience as well!

Looking forward to hearing about the end result!!

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2016, 04:13:13 PM »
Still dodging policy questions.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline IndiCon15

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2016, 04:25:33 PM »
Bernie Supporter, welcome.  You're a brave soul.  I've got an easy one for you:  what classes are you taking?  What does the curriculum of a college sophomore look like these days?

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2016, 04:32:55 PM »
Still dodging policy questions.
Let's cut him some slack. Part of the bet was that he couldn't disagree with anyone here for the 72 hours.

I hope he sticks around after the bet is over, so that we can find out more about his opinions.