Author Topic: I Am A Bernie Supporter And Lost A Bet To A Trump Supporter  (Read 8482 times)

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
I Am A Bernie Supporter And Lost A Bet To A Trump Supporter
« on: February 21, 2016, 03:17:20 PM »
Sorry for the repost. But I saw this was a more active area.

Hi there. I am a Bernie supporter and a sophomore in college. I made a bet last week with one of the few Trump supporters in school. The terms:

1) If Bernie won Nevada and Trump won SC, it was a push. Same if both lost.

2) But if one won while the other lost, well...

I lost, obviously.

THE WAGER:

Starting at 9AM tomorrow EST, I will now work for my friend for the next 72 hours. I will be his butler/assistant/servant/etc. until Thursday morning.

We also agreed that the loser would go onto different message boards and the like for suggestions for thing I'll have to do for the next 72 hours. I already know that I'm to have coffee and a breakfast sandwich in hand, and I can expect to do a lot of laundry, scrubbing his bathroom, burn the Bernie sign I have on my door outside somewhere and things like that.

We also agreed that I'd ask for suggestions from places like this. I'm not going to just do chores. He's going to use the next few days to also expose me to "proper" thinking. I have to write a two-page book report on The Art of the Deal. But I know I'm going to have a few more things to read and listen to, also.

So fire away with anything else.

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
Re: I Am A Bernie Supporter And Lost A Bet To A Trump Supporter
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 03:22:03 PM »
Is there a link so I can follow this?
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 03:27:13 PM »
Is there a link so I can follow this?

As in watching me do whatever tasks await me?

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 03:31:48 PM »
As in watching me do whatever tasks await me?

Yes, to be honest. I want to see the responses to you. Since I'm currently perusing the front page of DU, and am logged in over there, I don't see your OP.

OR, is there no DU OP and you're just posting here?

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 03:35:59 PM »
Yes, to be honest. I want to see the responses to you. Since I'm currently perusing the front page of DU, and am logged in over there, I don't see your OP.

OR, is there no DU OP and you're just posting here?

No DU post. Just posted here and another conservative forum.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 03:40:03 PM »
No DU post. Just posted here and another conservative forum.

ok thanks. I appreciate your honesty. You'll find we're a lot more tolerant of democrats here than DU is of conservatives.

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 04:01:14 PM »
Hey, cool! Glad you're here, although this particular forum is really only for us to discuss posts on DU. But, as long as you are here, I do have a few questions for an authentic Bernie Bro that I don't have to worry about offending.

So--as a Baby Boomer, I have always been expected to take care of myself and my children. I paid for my own college, was a stay-at-home mom for twenty years, we always paid (a lot) for our health insurance, including during the time my dh was downsized and looking for a job, paid our bills, saved for our retirement, etc., etc.

The biggest Bernie supporter I know has parents who spoiled him rotten. He always had to have whatever he wanted--the best athletic shoes, latest electronic gadgets, etc. Got suspended from high school and missed graduation, and it was all the fault of those darn drug-sniffing dogs who barked at his locker. He managed to spawn, and his parents bought his kid's diapers.

He is now extremely condescending, posting crap from Daily Kos on Facebook, while sneering at "Faux News." His gf is the head philosopher at a Holiday Inn, and is shocked, shocked, I tell you, at the suggestion that if she had majored in accounting or engineering she might actually someday be able to support herself.

All that is a prelude to asking why educated people who supported themselves while making smart decisions owe a bunch of overindulged, whiny little gimme-gimmes our hard-earned $$$$ so you all don't have to choose between paying health insurance and your Netflex account?

Oh, and my suggestion about the loss of your bet is that for a week you wear a Trump t-shirt.

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 04:16:15 PM »
Hey, cool! Glad you're here, although this particular forum is really only for us to discuss posts on DU. But, as long as you are here, I do have a few questions for an authentic Bernie Bro that I don't have to worry about offending.

So--as a Baby Boomer, I have always been expected to take care of myself and my children. I paid for my own college, was a stay-at-home mom for twenty years, we always paid (a lot) for our health insurance, including during the time my dh was downsized and looking for a job, paid our bills, saved for our retirement, etc., etc.

The biggest Bernie supporter I know has parents who spoiled him rotten. He always had to have whatever he wanted--the best athletic shoes, latest electronic gadgets, etc. Got suspended from high school and missed graduation, and it was all the fault of those darn drug-sniffing dogs who barked at his locker. He managed to spawn, and his parents bought his kid's diapers.

He is now extremely condescending, posting crap from Daily Kos on Facebook, while sneering at "Faux News." His gf is the head philosopher at a Holiday Inn, and is shocked, shocked, I tell you, at the suggestion that if she had majored in accounting or engineering she might actually someday be able to support herself.

All that is a prelude to asking why educated people who supported themselves while making smart decisions owe a bunch of overindulged, whiny little gimme-gimmes our hard-earned $$$$ so you all don't have to choose between paying health insurance and your Netflex account?

Oh, and my suggestion about the loss of your bet is that for a week you wear a Trump t-shirt.

Thank you for this.

My friend I lost the bet to said he will find a shirt my size for me to wear. (It's going to be cold up here this week, so I might have to accessorize with a Making America Great Again hat.)

Also: Even though the bet doesn't technically begin until midnight, I am also not allowed to vocally disagree with any conservative opinions for the week. And, also, I am to agree with any statements made in this discussion, too.

In fact, I am going to tell you that, yes, you are right. A lot of Bernie brats are spoiled rotten and made poor choices. This country was founded on hard work and people want things without having to make sacrifices. Than you for your thoughts on the subject.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 04:23:21 PM »
Thank you for this.

My friend I lost the bet to said he will find a shirt my size for me to wear. (It's going to be cold up here this week, so I might have to accessorize with a Making America Great Again hat.)

Also: Even though the bet doesn't technically begin until midnight, I am also not allowed to vocally disagree with any conservative opinions for the week. And, also, I am to agree with any statements made in this discussion, too.

In fact, I am going to tell you that, yes, you are right. A lot of Bernie brats are spoiled rotten and made poor choices. This country was founded on hard work and people want things without having to make sacrifices. Than you for your thoughts on the subject.

I'm H5ing you for the bolded statement.  But, I have to wonder why, if you believe the bolded, you still support some who wants to 'redistribute' (maybe he doesn't use that term, but that's the end result) the hard-earned wealth of those who have it, to those who don't and (for the vast majority of cases) won't try to get it.

ETA:  The Trump hat is a good start.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 04:31:06 PM »
Thank you for this.

Technically, disagreeing on an I-net board isn't "vocally" disagreeing, so I would encourage you to really discuss. I love discussion with those who disagree. Oftentimes, I learn something, and other times articulating my opinions reinforces or clarifies my views to myself.

More questions: You stated that you are in college. What is your major? What do you intend to do with your degree? If you are going into something lucrative--medicine, engineering, some fields of business--how do you feel about paying LOTS in taxes to support people who are avoiding reality for four years while studying medieval lesbian poetry? Did you know that the staggering increase in college tuition over the last 20 or so years is actually a result of too much government money in the form of government grants and subsidized loans? Or that the housing crisis was caused by too much government $$$, via the CRA? Or that the high cost of medical services started with Medicare (government $$$)?

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 04:37:57 PM »
Hey, I'm on a roll!

Did you know that some of the Scandinavian paradises you want to help Bernie turn us into have middle class tax rates of 40+%? Or that some of them are scaling back their welfare programs? Or that the tax on a new car is 100%? Or that they can afford their goodies because they spend so little on national defense because they know they can count on NATO to save their butts?

On healthcare, do you know that one Canadian official who needed a minimally invasive mitral valve replacement came to the US? Why do you suppose that happened?

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 04:38:58 PM »
Technically, disagreeing on an I-net board isn't "vocally" disagreeing, so I would encourage you to really discuss. I love discussion with those who disagree. Oftentimes, I learn something, and other times articulating my opinions reinforces or clarifies my views to myself.

More questions: You stated that you are in college. What is your major? What do you intend to do with your degree? If you are going into something lucrative--medicine, engineering, some fields of business--how do you feel about paying LOTS in taxes to support people who are avoiding reality for four years while studying medieval lesbian poetry? Did you know that the staggering increase in college tuition over the last 20 or so years is actually a result of too much government money in the form of government grants and subsidized loans? Or that the housing crisis was caused by too much government $$$, via the CRA? Or that the high cost of medical services started with Medicare (government $$$)?

Good questions. Far too many are looking forward to "free" college to study "sub-saharan, pre-medieval, lesbian architecture" with a minor in "gender/womens studies", then expect to make a fortune with their degree. When that doesn't happen, they get mad at all the money they owe for student loans.

If someone wants a "free" college education, they need to QUALIFY based on grades (skin color notwithstanding), and get a major in any STEM degree.

A meme I've seen on facebook recently says, "So, you want a free college education. Show me what you did with that free high school education".

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 04:42:18 PM »
Hey, I'm on a roll!

Did you know that some of the Scandinavian paradises you want to help Bernie turn us into have middle class tax rates of 40+%? Or that some of them are scaling back their welfare programs? Or that the tax on a new car is 100%? Or that they can afford their goodies because they spend so little on national defense because they know they can count on NATO to save their butts?

On healthcare, do you know that one Canadian official who needed a minimally invasive mitral valve replacement came to the US? Why do you suppose that happened?

I wouldn't stay up at night waiting for an answer. Methinks that poster won't be posting long. I have my doubts it's a "heartfelt" poster anyway.

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 04:48:16 PM »
Good questions. Far too many are looking forward to "free" college to study "sub-saharan, pre-medieval, lesbian architecture" with a minor in "gender/womens studies", then expect to make a fortune with their degree. When that doesn't happen, they get mad at all the money they owe for student loans.

If someone wants a "free" college education, they need to QUALIFY based on grades (skin color notwithstanding), and get a major in any STEM degree.

A meme I've seen on facebook recently says, "So, you want a free college education. Show me what you did with that free high school education".
The ones that major in womyn's studies, sociology, etc. all think they have a nice cushy career in academia ahead of them. The truth is that those jobs don't exist anymore. My older son learned that his first semester into a PhD program where grad students and post docs were expected to do all the teaching with little in the way of stipends, nothing in the way of bennies, and zero chance of a tenured position.

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 05:10:41 PM »
I go to a small, Catholic liberal arts college that also has a business school. Right now, my major is Communication. I don't have a track yet (we select them at the end of this semester) but I initially went to school wanting to be a film/video director who also writes screenplays. I am now starting to realize very quickly that this isn't going to happen. So I am thinking of another avenue.

Thankfully, my school is very generous with giving financial aid. And my parents are helping, too. But I will still have a lot in loans. I know I could have gone to a state school with a cheaper tuition. But there were non-financial reasons why I chose my school (that aren't worth discussing) but in all honesty my parents said it's not much of a difference when you factor in my school's aid policy. But, yes, I have five figures in student loans waiting for me when I graduate.

My friend who I am involved in this wager with is an accounting major and wants to also track in management. We always joke with him about being a "rich" kid because he is. His dad started his own business (not sure what) and my friend plans on working for him after graduation. As part of the bet, I'm going to go to his parents' house at some point this week and his very Republican dad is going to show me how taxes effect his line of work. (And, yes, I'm going to be doing some help around the house. His dad knows about the bet and loved it.)

But to say that it hasn't crossed my mind that I should change my majors as quickly as possible would be a lie. The only thing is that I don't know what I want to change to and, if I do, I might have to tack on another semester or two of school.

And I agree that debating is fun and healthy. But I also have to honor a bet I made, so I won't disagree with anything on here (for now). The worst thing in the world to me is a bet welcher and I would have put my friend through the ringer if I won.

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 05:20:46 PM »
I go to a small, Catholic liberal arts college that also has a business school. Right now, my major is Communication. I don't have a track yet (we select them at the end of this semester) but I initially went to school wanting to be a film/video director who also writes screenplays. I am now starting to realize very quickly that this isn't going to happen. So I am thinking of another avenue.

Thankfully, my school is very generous with giving financial aid. And my parents are helping, too. But I will still have a lot in loans. I know I could have gone to a state school with a cheaper tuition. But there were non-financial reasons why I chose my school (that aren't worth discussing) but in all honesty my parents said it's not much of a difference when you factor in my school's aid policy. But, yes, I have five figures in student loans waiting for me when I graduate.

My friend who I am involved in this wager with is an accounting major and wants to also track in management. We always joke with him about being a "rich" kid because he is. His dad started his own business (not sure what) and my friend plans on working for him after graduation. As part of the bet, I'm going to go to his parents' house at some point this week and his very Republican dad is going to show me how taxes effect his line of work. (And, yes, I'm going to be doing some help around the house. His dad knows about the bet and loved it.)

But to say that it hasn't crossed my mind that I should change my majors as quickly as possible would be a lie. The only thing is that I don't know what I want to change to and, if I do, I might have to tack on another semester or two of school.

And I agree that debating is fun and healthy. But I also have to honor a bet I made, so I won't disagree with anything on here (for now). The worst thing in the world to me is a bet welcher and I would have put my friend through the ringer if I won.

In all honesty, you sound like someone who could be a good conservative. Changing your major to something of value would be a good idea. In my opinion, far too many people major in stuff that is inconsequential (simply because it's an easy way to a degree), and worth nothing to those who hire, then bitch about owing tens of thousands of dollars for a degree that won't pay them more than 30k (if they're lucky) per year. On top of rent, car payments, student loans, credit cards, etc., it's impossible to get married, buy a house, have the American dream in the suburbs.

Those who look for an easy way are frustrated beyond belief. Those willing to work? The sky is the limit.

My opinion.

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 05:27:26 PM »
Cool story Bro.  Between the Bern and Hitlery, we have the squaring of insanity.   

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 05:45:37 PM »
Thank you for this.

On the chance this is all true,I would ask in light of the part I highlighted...why are you a bernie supporter?

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 05:58:03 PM »

I really appreciate your honesty and openness in sharing personal details of your life.

Some college majors are "sure things." My d-i-l who got a masters in accounting and her CPA was making close to six figures before her 30th birthday. My own husband is a manufacturing accountant, and also does very well. Their plant starts process engineers between $60,000 and $65,000/year, with mechanical engineers starting higher, electrical at higher than that, and chemical engineers starting much higher.

In fact, I would have no problem paying full costs for anyone going into fields we need more of--doctors, computer science people, accountants, engineers, etc.

My own sons went to a small, private, liberal arts college. The older one passed up full-ride scholarships at several different state universities to do so. He majored in biology, and thought that he would have a career in academia. Found out after starting grad school that tenure track positions are few and far between. After six years of working on his PhD, the program ran out of money. He quit, to try writing. (He had dithered over whether to major in science or English.) He still writes, but is now a full-time dad.

Boy #2 majored in philosophy, also thinking that he would end up in academia. He is now working in a factory, and actually likes his job.

Communications is a good background, but probably won't pay a lot. Can you pick up a business minor, or second major? My d-i-l's major was actually psychology, and her minor was in accounting. Her parents paid for her (very expensive) masters degree, which is what enabled her to get her good job.

You seem like a reasonable open-minded person, and I think you will learn a lot from your friend's Republican father. You may come away with a totally different perspective on life! Good luck!

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 06:01:01 PM »
I am signing off for the night. I will give some updates as to my daily doings.

Anyone have any other things you'd like to see a Bernie supporter like me have to do under these terms? So far, I only have "wear a Trump shirt/hat." Anything else?

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 06:03:11 PM »

I can't remember where I heard it--it could have been here, a few months ago--Your academic major should put food on your table and pay your bills.  Your academic minor should be what you love to do.  If they're the same thing, so much the better.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 06:06:49 PM »
My brother went into business for himself last year.  With the sheer amount of fees, licenses, taxes, inspections, and regulation involved, it's amazing that anyone manages to start a new business at all.  The paperwork alone took three months to complete and you don't get paid for sitting in a government office waiting for some officious bastard to stamp a piece of paper.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2016, 06:12:26 PM »
>I go to a small, Catholic liberal arts college that also has a business school.

If you get a chance, can we get a repeatable revival of a human body that was tortured to death?  It's an act of science that has not been repeated since.

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2016, 06:14:43 PM »
How about a writing assignment?

Imagine you have your dream job, making $50,000/year. Do a budget with all the things you need, and all the things you want. Include health insurance premium and 401k. Figure in the taxes at different rates, and see how that changes your discretionary income. Decide what you will be willing to give up for the higher taxes it will take to fund all of Bernie's wish list. Vacation? New car? Savings? 

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2016, 07:36:27 PM »
Here's one. Be generous and help others in need. (That really is a Conservative trait.)
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”