Author Topic: I Am A Bernie Supporter And Lost A Bet To A Trump Supporter  (Read 8479 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: I Am A Bernie Supporter And Lost A Bet To A Trump Supporter
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2016, 01:37:12 PM »
I also just want to bring up another thing I didn't include last night.

At one point, I asked my friend's dad what he felt about the "common good." He laughed and called my a typical bleeding heart. And he said he gives a lot of money to a few different charities. And that the guy who gives money to the charity is more important than the person who runs the charity. Because, without money, homeless shelters and pet shelters and etc. can't exist. He said charity work was admirable but he also felt like he did more for the common good just by taking the risk to buy a company and expand it. And, he said, he also said he had only so much time on the planet, he made himself successful, and he intended to relish every second of his hard work, and would never make any apologies about being a member of a golf club or owning a boat or enjoying a cigar.

He also said he hated a lot of public education. He pointed out how many hundreds of millions goes into the city public schools here, and how almost all of the public schools are terrible, ergo the money isn't being spent right any all anyone does is whine about the state-level republicans and our old governor. But he said he hated knowing his state taxes were going to pay to essentially put kids in a warehouse for a few hours a day. And he said that any teacher who was any good pretty much looked to teach in the suburbs or a private school, and there were reasons for that -- any smart teacher didn't want to put up with b.s. And he said it stunk because it limited the amount of job candidates he had to choose from.

But he said that he stopped thinking he could change the world a really long time ago, and that he was best equipped to own a company that made food processing equipment. And as boring as that sounds, he was perfectly fine knowing he was going to retire as a millionaire, and all that Bernie would do was prevent more people from being able to have the kind of life he did.

I really can't fault him for saying or thinking any of that. There are a few public city schools right by my college and there are always cops headed there to break up fights. And, yeah, he also really did employ a lot of people and give a bunch of his money to good causes. And that being self-centered really wasn't that bad of a thing.

Ya know what I think? 

Maybe we can convert you.

Tell your friend's dad that judging by your comments, the seeds of capitalism are within you.  You just need the proper . . . environment in which they can grow. :-)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2016, 01:51:07 PM »
At one point, I asked my friend's dad what he felt about the "common good." He laughed and called my a typical bleeding heart.

I'm a volunteer firefighter. When I'm on a fire call, I'm a public servant. I get no compensation for this service although I have as much training as paid firefighters.

When I'm not on a call or training or doing anything related to the fire service I'm not acting as a public servant.

Contrast this to other "Public Servants" who hold elective office or appointed to positions of powder. They are not doing this for free or even low cost and in many cases become very wealthy due to their service to the public.

One other point that I want to make about the fire service. I have never said to anyone that I do what I do to help my fellow man or for the betterment of society. While I think I have, in some small way, meet those lofty goals, the truth of the matter is I like to put out fires and rescue people from wrecked cars. I get personal satisfaction out of being a part of a team that brings order out of disorder. I do it for me and the day that it stops being fun is the day I stop being a firefighter. For me to say that I do it for any other reason would not be truthful.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:01:17 PM by fatboy »
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2016, 01:59:19 PM »
In the UK, your television is taxed every year to fund the BBC (PBS) based on how "nice" it is.  Black and white televisions are taxed at a few pounds a year while old CRT/low-def sets are assessed at a slightly higher rate.  Affluent Brits pay an even higher tax rate for HDTV televisions.  Regardless of the rate you pay, the programming you receive is still the same.

You may change your opinion about Bernie's ideas but you will still be paying for them.

I think that Connecticut taxes car owners per year, this in addition to gasoline taxes at the pump and vehicle registrations.
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2016, 02:01:20 PM »
Ya know what I think? 

Maybe we can convert you.

Tell your friend's dad that judging by your comments, the seeds of capitalism are within you.  You just need the proper . . . environment in which they can grow. :-)

Any suggestions for further training within the timeframe of this bet are welcome and encouraged.

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2016, 02:05:52 PM »
BET OBLIGATION UPDATE:

We have decided to end the terms of my service tonight at midnight. My friend and I both have a lot of classwork.

He asked me to come on here and really ask you to pile it on. Anything you think I should do around the dorm/campus for him please let me know. The more menial the tasks the better. It's becoming a really funny tale among our friends. I obviously have a sense of humor about all of this. The more "in deep" I have to go the better this is for all of us.

So far, I've worn a Trump hat for the week (only taking it off in class and when driving my friend around), done push-ups and wrote an essay at the request of members of this board. I am apparently responding well to this "training" so the more the better.

I won't have time to write a scholarly paper on the 17th amendment or go to the gun range. Just basic stuff around campus or within limits of a quick drive.

Thanks!

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2016, 02:11:27 PM »
Busy day here class-wise. But, as per my duties in obligating the bet, just asking once again if anyone has any tasks/chores they'd like to see me perform at the behest of my friend. I can't take on any reading assignments or do any writing assignments that would take a lot of research. But still here to honor the terms of my debt.

I'd like your answer to my question about the 17th Amendment, upthread.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2016, 02:12:31 PM »
I'd like your answer to my question about the 17th Amendment, upthread.

I would love to do this but to do it justice will take too much time.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2016, 02:22:32 PM »
Asking again.

Thank you for this.

My friend I lost the bet to said he will find a shirt my size for me to wear. (It's going to be cold up here this week, so I might have to accessorize with a Making America Great Again hat.)

Also: Even though the bet doesn't technically begin until midnight, I am also not allowed to vocally disagree with any conservative opinions for the week. And, also, I am to agree with any statements made in this discussion, too.

In fact, I am going to tell you that, yes, you are right. A lot of Bernie brats are spoiled rotten and made poor choices. This country was founded on hard work and people want things without having to make sacrifices. Than you for your thoughts on the subject.

If you really mean this then why are you supporting bernie?

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2016, 02:37:29 PM »
Asking again.

If you really mean this then why are you supporting bernie?

I initially wrote that per the order of my friend. One of the terms of the bet was that I cannot express disagreement with any anti-Bernie/pro-conservative argument until my debt is over. I wrote that as a sign of good faith that I would adhere to those terms.

However, I am now writing this of my own accord... and I'm not sure why anymore.

Offline Karin

« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2016, 02:54:58 PM »
Well, thanks for keeping us thoroughly updated.  I hope you'll come back and visit us now and then after your bet term expires. 

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2016, 02:57:54 PM »
Well, thanks for keeping us thoroughly updated.  I hope you'll come back and visit us now and then after your bet term expires.

Any other exercises or drills you want me to do? I am being serious. The push-up one went over well.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2016, 03:05:29 PM »
I hope you learned your lesson.

Next time just bet to see who buys the next lap dance.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2016, 03:12:15 PM »
Any other exercises or drills you want me to do? I am being serious. The push-up one went over well.

If you are serious then stay and engage,if you want to know why we think a policy is wrong headed then ask and listen.
Respond intelligently and be willing to think about what you hear.

Most folks here have experienced a lot more life at this point and I don`t know of any that have had it easy or success handed to them so there can be a lot learned even if in the end you remain a liberal.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
I would love to do this but to do it justice will take too much time.

Hit the bullet points.

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2016, 03:19:31 PM »

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2016, 03:54:10 PM »
Hit the bullet points.

* In all honesty, I had no idea what the 17th Amendment was off the top of my head. It's not exactly one of the "big ones" talked about in history classes. I had no idea that state legislatures voted for Senate until pretty late in US history. I always assumed it was a direct vote.

* As far as how it hurts the country, it causes federalism to override state's rights.

* State legislatures were able to elect representatives that more closely aligned with overall state interests.

* Today, we see our Senate elections as more national races. We have a Senate race in my state this year. Almost all of the issues talked about mirror what we hear in the presidential election. If it was a vote via the state legislature, the campaign on candidates would reflect more issues closely related to our home -- i.e., how we would like the federal government to fund various programs and the like.

* This would in turn make the Senate more responsive to the needs of the state.

* Congress had the intent of giving the people a direct voice via the House of Representatives. The Senate-via-legislature essentially placed a check of sorts on the whims of the people. It increased the states' power.

* Without that state power, federalist politicians now have almost zero check on the interaction between federal and state powers and rights.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2016, 04:20:42 PM »
Any suggestions for further training within the timeframe of this bet are welcome and encouraged.

Read the bill of rights, start to finish, including the preamble.

CMD
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2016, 04:25:04 PM »
* In all honesty, I had no idea what the 17th Amendment was off the top of my head. It's not exactly one of the "big ones" talked about in history classes. I had no idea that state legislatures voted for Senate until pretty late in US history. I always assumed it was a direct vote.

* As far as how it hurts the country, it causes federalism to override state's rights.

* State legislatures were able to elect representatives that more closely aligned with overall state interests.

* Today, we see our Senate elections as more national races. We have a Senate race in my state this year. Almost all of the issues talked about mirror what we hear in the presidential election. If it was a vote via the state legislature, the campaign on candidates would reflect more issues closely related to our home -- i.e., how we would like the federal government to fund various programs and the like.

* Congress had the intent of giving the people a direct voice via the House of Representatives. The Senate-via-legislature essentially placed a check of sorts on the whims of the people. It increased the states' power.

* Without that state power, federalist politicians now have almost zero check on the interaction between federal and state powers and rights.

I am giving you an A+!  Very few people understand the States' Rights issues raised by the 17th.

Kid, you are in the wrong camp.  You belong here and I suspect you will end up here when you look at things through the critical eye God granted you.  Your nickname will be a wonderful irony for years to come.

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2016, 05:38:47 PM »

I have an assignment for you, but I'm afraid it's ongoing.

When you speak to some of your liberal, Bernie or Hillary supporting cohorts, and they spit at the word "conservative", tell them about your experience here, and how, even though we're diametrically opposed in political views, you were treated with respect, and welcomed.

That is all.
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2016, 05:51:22 PM »

One thing the left is determined on is increasing federal or central influence yet at every turn the founders were determined to limit such.
It is very telling and even if not perfect most times is imo the more desirable state of affairs.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2016, 06:52:11 PM »

Buy us all a lap dance.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2016, 06:57:25 PM »
Buy us all a lap dance.

By a cute 22 year old blonde with big hooters who knows how to cook, clean, wash and wax trucks and motorcycles, who owns a liquor store and has adventurous female friends.

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2016, 07:02:30 PM »

I was actually kidding about that.  Can't believe you actually did it!!  H5 for that alone.   :cheersmate:

You got one heck of a sense of humor and I respect any person that pays up when he/she loses a bet.  Stick around... you will find we are not the mean heartless bastards that you have been led to believe.  Oh we will beat you upside the head when we disagree on politics, nature of message boards, but you will find that we are actually quite nice people.

If you decide not to stick around, we understand that too. 

I wish you success in all your endeavors.... with the exception of electing Bernie to the presidency.   :tongue:

One last drill: Hit the books, graduate with a 4.0 and come back and tell us about it.    :cheersmate:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:11:13 PM by I_B_Perky »
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2016, 07:10:10 PM »
By a cute 22 year old blonde with big hooters who knows how to cook, clean, wash and wax trucks and motorcycles, who owns a liquor store and has adventurous female friends.

I don't think God makes them like that and if he does, they are waaaay out of our league.   :rotf:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2016, 07:12:04 PM »
I don't think God makes them like that and if he does, they are waaaay out of our league.   :rotf:

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.