Author Topic: I Am A Bernie Supporter And Lost A Bet To A Trump Supporter  (Read 8373 times)

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
Re: I Am A Bernie Supporter And Lost A Bet To A Trump Supporter
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2016, 04:46:30 PM »
Bernie Supporter, welcome.  You're a brave soul.  I've got an easy one for you:  what classes are you taking?  What does the curriculum of a college sophomore look like these days?

Last thing before I go. Also, I go to a liberal arts/Catholic school, so my classes are a bit different than somebody at a biggest state school. We have a lot of pre-requisites before we can get into specific majors. We do have a business school but we don't have to take any of those.

My school really doesn't have any ridiculous majors. It's too small. I think we have American Studies, but that's like a history degree with some more literature requirements.

I have five classes. My major is Communication so we have some pre-reqs there before we get to our focus.

INTRO TO EUROPEAN HISTORY (Have a few history requirements)
RELIGIONS OF THE WORLD (We have a religion requirement)
INTRO TO COMPUTER SCIENCE (We have a math/comp sci requirement)
BASICS OF JOURNALISM (Part of my communication pre-reqs)
COMMUNICATION THEORY AND HUMAN RHETORIC (Another comm pre-req)

After this, the amount of pre-reqs in history/literature/religion/philosophy/etc. narrows down and the ability to take majors and minors increases. And your pre-req liberal arts courses are part of the minor requirement.

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2016, 06:07:03 PM »
Wanted to give the daily update (as per the terms of my bet.)

I had to have coffee at the ready for my friend at 9 a.m. I also had to meet with him after class  another coffee and a bottle of water. I also had to run and grab him a sandwich for lunch. All doing so while wearing a Making America Great Hat he dug up somewhere. All good harmless (but super annoying) fun.

I have a "break" from my duties for my class this afternoon plus some time to do some classwork. After dinner, I will be driving my friend to his parents' house in the suburbs. He said he told his dad about our wager, and his dad had a big laugh. His dad is of the opinion like here that us Bernie supporters are lazy and whiny and I can expect to do some hard work to be taught my lesson. I've got a car to wash and some floors to scrub while my friend and his dad are going to enjoy cigars in the basement. And, naturally, I might have some additional duties as they see fit.

His dad is going to sit down with me after and talk about what it's like starting and owning his own business. My friend saw the suggestion for me to have a writing assignment on here about how increased taxes would affect my wages. His dad is going to talk me through how increased taxes (and Obamacare already) have affected his business and personal income. I will post the results of this conversation either tonight or tomorrow.

I am grinning and bearing it. Walking back on a bet is the worst thing someone can do, IMO. So I'll live with it for the week, as much as I'd rather do anything else than to do some chores at a house in the suburbs on a Monday night. (Wrestling's on. This is where we came up with the idea where the loser had to work for the other person for a set period of time. I'll have to watch it next week.)

Ok Berniesupporter. I have a question for you. Honesty is required (taking into account this is an anonymous message board and some are less forthcoming than others).

Are you currently, or have you ever been, a member of DemocraticUnderground.com? You needn't give your screen name if you are, or were. Just a yes or no.

Second, how did you decide to post on THIS website when there are hundreds more out there?

I'm curious.
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2016, 06:26:58 PM »
Last thing before I go. Also, I go to a liberal arts/Catholic school, so my classes are a bit different than somebody at a biggest state school. We have a lot of pre-requisites before we can get into specific majors. We do have a business school but we don't have to take any of those.

My school really doesn't have any ridiculous majors. It's too small. I think we have American Studies, but that's like a history degree with some more literature requirements.

I have five classes. My major is Communication so we have some pre-reqs there before we get to our focus.

INTRO TO EUROPEAN HISTORY (Have a few history requirements)
RELIGIONS OF THE WORLD (We have a religion requirement)
INTRO TO COMPUTER SCIENCE (We have a math/comp sci requirement)
BASICS OF JOURNALISM (Part of my communication pre-reqs)
COMMUNICATION THEORY AND HUMAN RHETORIC (Another comm pre-req)

After this, the amount of pre-reqs in history/literature/religion/philosophy/etc. narrows down and the ability to take majors and minors increases. And your pre-req liberal arts courses are part of the minor requirement.

I can help you with that:

INTRO TO EUROPEAN HISTORY
* French=great food, sexy language, run away from battle (except the Resistance)
* Germans=terrible food, scary language, run to the battle
* Italians=spicy food, confusing language, bet on the battle
* Irish=potatoes as food, musical language, drunk in battle
* English=worse food, unfathomable language, march in straight lines in battle
* Swedish/Norwegians/Scandinavians=sex

RELIGIONS OF THE WORLD
* Judiasim=Guilt, Can get that for wholesale
* Christianity=Jesus is coming, everyone look busy
* Catholicism=Christianity+Guilt
* islam=I KEEL YOU!
* Buddism=Hamburger drive-thru (one with everything)

INTRO TO COMPUTER SCIENCE
* There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who can read binary and those who cannot
* Computers have the ability to make many many mistakes very quickly.

BASICS OF JOURNALISM
* I imply, you infer
* Always run with the herd
* Fact-checking is for chumps

COMMUNICATION THEORY AND HUMAN RHETORIC

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2016, 06:32:16 PM »
Just to break this out, I'm meeting with my friend's dad tonight. He heard about the bet and loves it. So naturally, he's going to put this "spoiled Bernie supporter" to do some chores and labor around his house. But also he's going to sit down with me and talk to me about how Bernie's wish list (along with other taxes already) will affect his business.

I showed my friend your writing assignment idea. He loved it. Expect to have something later tonight for your kind feedback.

You want a REAL assignment?

Post why the 17th Amendment was the beginning of the end of the true nature of the USA (or if not, why not) and how it started us on a downhill roll we will probably never recover from (or if not, why not).

I mean it -- this one will take some deep research,  analysis and thinking.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2016, 06:35:11 PM »

* French=great food, sexy language, run away from battle (except the Resistance)

RELIGIONS OF THE WORLD
* islam=I KEEL YOU!

* There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who can read binary and those who cannot

BASICS OF JOURNALISM
* I imply, you infer

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. H5 earned and issued.
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »
* French= We were great once! great food, sexy language, run away from battle (except the Resistance)
* Germans= We were great once! terrible food, scary language, run to the battle
* Italians= We were great once! spicy food, confusing language, bet on the battle
* Irish= **** you, Ya Bastard! potatoes as food, musical language, drunk in battle
* English= We were great once! worse food, unfathomable language, march in straight lines in battle
* Swedish/Norwegians/Scandinavians= We bring the battle to you on our summer vacation!  and there's sex

There... fixed it for you.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2016, 07:02:52 PM »
Not sure how many more reading/writing assignment I can tack on by the end of the wager. Have too much schoolwork to do on top of everything else.

However, I was just told to ask what sorta things you'd like a "spoiled Bernie supporter" such as myself to do tonight at my friend's parents' house for me to learn the value of elbow grease and manual hard work. Described to me as a 4-BR, 2.5-bathroom house with an expansive front and back lawn, pool and state-of-the-art mancave. I haven't been to my friend's house before but our mutual friend who has been there described it as sounding like a borderline mansion.

Will check in with an update and my writing assignment (after talking with my friend's dad) later on tonight.

Literally, please suggest all the things you can think of. All in good fun with good humor. This is going to make a good story for everyone so the more detailed the requests for me to carry out the better.

You have reminded me of something in my past. I mentioned in my previous post that I'm that I'm taking college classes basically for personal enrichment and will get as AS degree sometime soon debt free. I also mentioned that I have a BS degree from way back. When I got that degree, Jimmy Carter has just left the WH and the country was in deep recession.

For about the first two years, with degree in hand, I worked 2 part time jobs just to pay my car and student loan payment. One of those part time jobs was in a department store starting at minimum wage. It did not seem right that a college graduate should have to stoop that low but I did and within six months the department store offered me a full time position as department manager. Then 8 months later assistant store manager. I declined that position to take the job that I have still to this day which I love.

The point being that My job came about from my hard work in a department store. I really hated working there and felt above it all but I did the best I could and through connections in that store got my present job. 

Those Bernie Sanders making the claim that tuition should be free and that student loans forgiven is, if you really think about it, pandering for votes. If it were to happen it will not be free.

Another point I want to make is that progressives, those we fool with on this forum, thank that we are headed for a revolution. I agree. We are headed for a revolution but those who revolt will not be the progressives. No, those who revolt will be the taxpayers, those who are paying for all the promises that liberals are making. Think long and hard before dismissing this, the revolt of taxpayers will be a combination of all stripes, the only connection being that they are tax payers and they are getting sick and tired of the crap.

OK take care
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2016, 07:18:05 PM »
I did 25 push-ups instead and said "Trump For America" alternated with "Bernie Is A Loser" in our dorm lounge that was completely empty. Forgot to add that part.

H5 for ya!  I'll say one thing... you got a good sense of humor.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2016, 07:37:55 PM »
Respectfully disagree, but only in shading.  CS is only useful if you want to do programming, design operating systems, work in robotics, AI and other types of fields.  Business computing with some knowledge of how computers work is what is being sought in the private sector.

I understand where you are coming from... but the key here is the math and logic classes.  We are not talking major here... we are talking a minor.  As far as I am concerned business computing is a translation for I can navigate excel and word.  CS doesn't just teach programming, it teaches logic. The math backs it up.  Or it used to.

My minor was CS, major was business.  I had to take calc and all that. Learned how to design algorithms. Now days in programming you got an object module that does say a bubble sort or a binary search.  I actually learned how to do it.  That will serve you well no matter what you are doing.

Keep in mind I went to school back in the early 80's.  Dunno what they are teaching now. I do know the idiots coming out of school today can't find their ass with directions, a map, and a butt sniffing dog.   :cheersmate:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2016, 09:53:07 PM »
I just got back from my evening's event at my friends' parent's house. I will break this into two parts. The first will describe the tasks and chores I performed tonight. The second is in response to Mary Ann's request for me to write an essay about how Bernie's tax plan could effect my personal income. My friend's Republican father went over this with me from his own business. I also will include his thoughts on some of Bernie's proposals (and government in general) as part of my assignment. I took notes.

MY NIGHT:

1) First, I drove my friend (like a chaufer -- holding the back door open for him and replacing my "Make America Great Again" hat with a jeff cap) to his house in the suburbs about 30 minutes from our campus.

2) I met his dad. His dad had a big laugh at the "pinko Bernie kid" coming into the house. He told me that he was going to treat me like a new entry-level employee at his business. And he said that he was very old-school, and that new employees called him "Mr. XXX" and only people of a certain level called him by his first name. So I had to refer to him as that throughout the night. (Thankfully, I only have to call my friend by his first name.)

3) First task was to go to Panera for their dinner order. (I had my dinner before hand.) When I returned, my friend and his dad also decided they wanted a Diet Coke and Coke, so after I dropped off their dinner I had to run to a convenience store. I knew this move was coming. Sigh.

4) They ate their dinner. As I was doing so, I had to wash the wheels and hubcaps of my friend's car and his dad's Escalade. Then I had to clean the wipe down the interior of the Escalade.

5) One done with that, my friend and his dad went into his basement/mancave where they watched basketball. I had to bring my friend a beer. And I had to bring my friend's dad his cigar and Scotch.

6) I had to scrub clean all three bathrooms -- tubs, sink, toilets. Then I also had to clean the grout between the floor tiles with a toothbrush.

7) I was called down to get another beer, fluff the pillow, and refill my friend's dad's drink.

8) I then cleaned the windows/polished the doorknobs/dusted some of the furniture in the upstairs of the house.

9) Another refill of drinks and adjusted the TV volume accordingly. And I had to dispose of the remains of the cigar and polish the ashtray.

10) Then I had to wipe down and clean the kitchen.

11) My friend went to his bedroom to do some reading. His dad told me to go to his study/home office and get some files. And that brings me to the second part (coming soon).

Just wanted/was told to post this first part so everyone could have a laugh and also live up to the terms of my bet.

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2016, 10:02:11 PM »
Ok Berniesupporter. I have a question for you. Honesty is required (taking into account this is an anonymous message board and some are less forthcoming than others).

Are you currently, or have you ever been, a member of DemocraticUnderground.com? You needn't give your screen name if you are, or were. Just a yes or no.

Second, how did you decide to post on THIS website when there are hundreds more out there?

I'm curious.

I have never been a member of Democratic Underground dot com. I didn't even know what that was until someone on here told me this thread was in response to Democratic Underground.

My friend and I googled "conservative message boards" and knew something would have had to come up. This was I think third on the list. I posted something about this on another message board and the responses have been pretty boring. You're all a lot more welcoming/friendlier/have better sense of humor.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2016, 10:06:04 PM »
My friend and I googled "conservative message boards" and knew something would have had to come up. This was I think third on the list.
Hey, we're moving up in the world.  Last time I checked, we were #5. :cheersmate:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2016, 10:13:03 PM »

RELIGIONS OF THE WORLD
* islam=I KEEL YOU!

BASICS OF JOURNALISM
* I imply, you infer

Well done. High five!
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2016, 11:19:25 PM »
WHAT I LEARNED FROM MY FRIEND'S FATHER

Mr. Smith owns a food processing equipment manufacturer. His company makes specialty products used by restaurants and regional grocery stores. (I can't get into more detail than that.) He started working for the company when he was still in college (he paid for his tuition). It was a really small company at the time and he knew the owners. He worked his way up the management ladder and was careful to save money. He also worked on the weekends at a grocery store to save up some more money. The owners had some sort of family emergency and had to sell the company. He scrounged up the money with some other partners and bought them out. He became a co-president.

He also said that he didn't care about social issues too much. (I'll leave out the curse words.) He said the only thing he really cared about was how the government affected his money. He told me to write this down: "People can vote for whatever f--- reason they want. But my checkbook is a lot more important to me than The Constitution." And he said while he agreed more with conservatives on social issues, all of that was just "noise in the background" to him compared to anything involving his bank account.

While co-president, he managed to reconfigure some of their existing machinery to the point where he was able to obtain a patent. He also did this for two other machines the company had, too. He had a bitter falling out with his co-president (who he said was lazy) and ended up forcing him out and bought up his shares. He eventually bought out the other partners, too, and is now the sole owner.

The company currently has one facility in an industrial park. He has about 200 employees. The company assembles the machinery they make on site. He also has his sales and administrative offices there, too.

He might sell the company in 10 years. He's had offers from bigger competitors to do so, but he wants to wait for his son (my friend) to get some experience first. Then, he might keep it in the family tree or sell it. I didn't ask what he could sell it for, but he volunteered and said it could be somewhere between $8 and $12 million.

This blew my mind. He told me a little bit about how his income is set up -- draw accounts and the like, but that was a little over my head and not that interesting. But he's a straight-up millionaire and my friend has a very lucky life. Their house is really nice (a lot bigger than mine) and obviously they have some expensive stuff. But it's not some giant mansion. He said he bought the house cheap and paid off his debt to it as quickly as he could.

He then talked me through some of his Bernie points:

1) He said that most of his employees, even entry level ones, are fairly skilled and start off above $15/hour. But they sometimes might need temporary help, and some of those employees make minimum wage or below $15/hour. He said there was no way he could justify paying someone $15/hour "to shuffle some papers around if one of the secretaries takes off" or for someone to sweep up the floors.

He then said the worst part about a $15/hr minimum wage was that it keeps people from getting their first jobs. And this keeps people from getting experience. And, also, people make higher wages as work longer. He also said that he was going to put it bluntly, but a lot of people "stuck" working minimum wage jobs really don't have much of a choice of what they make anyways. A lot don't speak English, have criminal histories or related problems, or are just flat-out not capable of having any form of meaningful employment. He has a friend who owns a few Burger King franchises and it's apparently a big problem just to get people to do things like calling into the manager when they're out sick. He said that, unless there wasn't a rule in place, a lot of minimum wage workers would make way less than what they make now.

And he said that at $15/hour, no one in their right mind would keep staffing levels where they're at now. And every actual restaurant he said would also run into a lot of problems, too.

2) He said that he's in the highest tax bracket right now (no crap). He said that being in the highest bracket was $400,000 and he paid about 40% of his income in taxes already. (I had no idea.) He said his income tax would go up under Bernie's plan by a few percentage points, depending on how his business did and how his accountant handled things.

He then talked to me about his cigars. He said he knew something like that was a big luxury, along with his Escalade. And golf club membership. But he said he enjoys nice things, and sees nothing wrong with it. Cutting into his income means less of those. And he said in theory that sounds fine. But he told me that someone owns the cigar shop and the guy who works at the car dealership works on a commission. He told me to quote him on this: "No matter what anyone says, rich people buy things. And those things give people jobs."

He then said that raising taxes or whatever so people could go to college for free sounded fine, but then there wouldn't really be any incentive for kids to do well. There's no point in trying to get scholarships or the like if you're just going to go to college on another person's dime.

3) He said health care was way too complex to get into. His company actually pays another company to deal with health care because he couldn't make sense of it. And he said that while free health care sounded good on paper, that our country had 300 million people and there's no way nationalized health care would ever, ever work. And he said what his business pays for health care costs has gone up under Obamacare and he had to lay people off. But he said it wasn't just the health care costs, it was more the complex things associated with it now that whatever department handles that sort of stuff does became overwhelmed by it. So money he could have used to pay salaries or invest in his company is now going to some other company. And he said the single worst part about owning a business was health insurance, because he spent more time worrying about health care for his employees than he did actually running his company.

4) He also said his company has to waste all this other time because of other insurance problems. Like everyone has to do a mandatory once-a-year sexual harassment workshop. He said the easiest way to prevent stuff like that from happening is for him to scare everyone at the office in to not talking unless it was work related. (And, yes, he is that scary. Big dude)

5) And he also talked to me about Wall Street. He said he lost a decent amount in The Great Recession, but was smart enough to move a lot of his investments into safer things. But he said his business really suffered because of the recession. He thinks the Wall Street bankers got off really easy, and they straight up ripped people off. But he said he didn't have a lot of sympathy for people getting mortgages "who couldn't even spell the word." And he said the government was even more at fault with their different programs. He said the only people he really felt bad for in the whole thing were people who rented and all of sudden they got shut off because their landord messed up.

But he said adding on dividends taxes was a bad mistake. He said all that would do as take more of his money away. He said he puts in the time to find good companies to research and buys into them, particularly if they generate dividends. All that tax, he aid, would mean he'd have to stop investing if it wasn't worth it. Because spending money to invest is how companies grow.

I will post more tomorrow about what i learned.

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2016, 11:50:06 PM »
IN SUM, what I learned was simple:

We already have in place economic and tax plan that impede business growth.Just further extending those policies further will hurt businesses like the one my friend's dad owns. Maybe Bernie's other ideas regarding tax plans aren't as good as they initially sounded like.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2016, 01:16:36 AM »

We already have in place economic and tax plan that impede business growth.Just further extending those policies further will hurt businesses like the one my friend's dad owns. Maybe Bernie's other ideas regarding tax plans aren't as good as they initially sounded like.
In the UK, your television is taxed every year to fund the BBC (PBS) based on how "nice" it is.  Black and white televisions are taxed at a few pounds a year while old CRT/low-def sets are assessed at a slightly higher rate.  Affluent Brits pay an even higher tax rate for HDTV televisions.  Regardless of the rate you pay, the programming you receive is still the same.

You may change your opinion about Bernie's ideas but you will still be paying for them.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2016, 03:38:02 AM »
In the UK, your television is taxed every year to fund the BBC (PBS) based on how "nice" it is.  Black and white televisions are taxed at a few pounds a year while old CRT/low-def sets are assessed at a slightly higher rate.  Affluent Brits pay an even higher tax rate for HDTV televisions.  Regardless of the rate you pay, the programming you receive is still the same.

That just floored me, the first time I heard about it.

You may change your opinion about Bernie's ideas but you will still be paying for them.

....and your children's children's children; when they're scrounging leaves for toilet paper.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2016, 05:36:03 AM »

So, then, in the words of my favorite philosophizer, who is also a hardcore lefty (Springsteen), you are "Just around the corner to the Light of Day." :-) :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2016, 07:36:45 AM »
That just floored me, the first time I heard about it.

....and your children's children's children; when they're scrounging leaves for toilet paper.

Those are the People's leaves, and private use of the People's property is forbidden!
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2016, 07:40:56 AM »
<--------still skeptical.

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2016, 09:51:53 AM »
Busy day here class-wise. But, as per my duties in obligating the bet, just asking once again if anyone has any tasks/chores they'd like to see me perform at the behest of my friend. I can't take on any reading assignments or do any writing assignments that would take a lot of research. But still here to honor the terms of my debt.

Offline IndiCon15

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2016, 10:44:45 AM »
How about a question for ya.  How do you feel about being a student in college?  Do you feel fortunate to be there or are you just kind of going through the motions?

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2016, 11:30:23 AM »
How about a question for ya.  How do you feel about being a student in college?  Do you feel fortunate to be there or are you just kind of going through the motions?

I like it a lot but, yeah, I go through the motions a bit, too.

I go to a small Catholic school in a big city. Our school is on the outskirts. We have like 6,000 kids here, and a decent amount are commuters. I think probably 80% of the kids also grew up within an hour of here, so a fair amount head home on weekends. (I'm not from the area.) But there's always something to do. Being in a city helps because I can just take the subway or bus downtown or hitch a ride with one of my friends if we feel like hanging out for a while. I'm only 20 so I'm technically not supposed to drink yet but shhhhhh.

I really think there's a big gap between what a lot of people think college is like these days. The only time I've heard of the phrase "safe space" was when someone wrote about it for the school newspaper. (I work on the paper a little bit.) That was it. It has never come up. We've never had any protests here. All of that stuff happens at the big state schools or super expensive schools where kids have too much time on their hands. And since it's a Catholic school, we actually have a pro-life club that puts up anti-abortion posters places.

My school doesn't even have TAs. It's sorta like high school in that way. Most of my classes have like 20 kids in them. I've had a few with 10. The biggest class I had was 40, and that was for a mandatory science class. My friends who go to big state schools have classes with like 300 kids or whatever and barely even see their professors.

I even have had professors who are priests. And a bunch of old-school professors who went here as undergraduates. I've had three classes where, before every meeting, we had a prayer or moment-of-silence before class. No one really cares. I know a few more outspoken liberal type of kids and they don't even really care. That's mostly because so many kids here went to Catholic school and came up with that, I think. But it's just sorta apathetic here. The most political it gets are with Bernie signs on doors (he'd win a mock election by a landslide). Like I can't even begin to tell you how popular he is with everyone.

It's impossible to flunk out. I don't know how anyone can flunk out of college. All you have to do is just go to class like 90% of the time and hand in your work when it's due and you'll get a C. If you put in the work and do a good job you get better grades. If you really bust your ass then you can get really good grades. I have some professors who are crazy hard. I have a few who don't know what they're doing and are all over the map. We have a few classes that are easy A's. We have a few classes no one wants to take because the workload is nuts compared to the usual class. Or they're math-based. It's just like high school in that way. And you can mess with your schedule to get a day off if you want, even if you take five classes a semester.

The only kids who do poorly or flunk out are kids who just party all the time. I mean, everyone goes to parties. (I made this dumb bet hammered.) But you just can't drink too much on weekday nights.

But it's fun. It's really what you make of it.

Offline Chariot

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2016, 11:49:10 AM »
Busy day here class-wise. But, as per my duties in obligating the bet, just asking once again if anyone has any tasks/chores they'd like to see me perform at the behest of my friend. I can't take on any reading assignments or do any writing assignments that would take a lot of research. But still here to honor the terms of my debt.
If you have never done so, go to your local gun range, rent a gun (doesn't matter what type but extra points for an 'assault weapon') and shoot it. I want more left leaning people to learn that guns are not evil.

Offline BernieSupporter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2016, 12:38:21 PM »

I also just want to bring up another thing I didn't include last night.

At one point, I asked my friend's dad what he felt about the "common good." He laughed and called my a typical bleeding heart. And he said he gives a lot of money to a few different charities. And that the guy who gives money to the charity is more important than the person who runs the charity. Because, without money, homeless shelters and pet shelters and etc. can't exist. He said charity work was admirable but he also felt like he did more for the common good just by taking the risk to buy a company and expand it. And, he said, he also said he had only so much time on the planet, he made himself successful, and he intended to relish every second of his hard work, and would never make any apologies about being a member of a golf club or owning a boat or enjoying a cigar.

He also said he hated a lot of public education. He pointed out how many hundreds of millions goes into the city public schools here, and how almost all of the public schools are terrible, ergo the money isn't being spent right any all anyone does is whine about the state-level republicans and our old governor. But he said he hated knowing his state taxes were going to pay to essentially put kids in a warehouse for a few hours a day. And he said that any teacher who was any good pretty much looked to teach in the suburbs or a private school, and there were reasons for that -- any smart teacher didn't want to put up with b.s. And he said it stunk because it limited the amount of job candidates he had to choose from.

But he said that he stopped thinking he could change the world a really long time ago, and that he was best equipped to own a company that made food processing equipment. And as boring as that sounds, he was perfectly fine knowing he was going to retire as a millionaire, and all that Bernie would do was prevent more people from being able to have the kind of life he did.

I really can't fault him for saying or thinking any of that. There are a few public city schools right by my college and there are always cops headed there to break up fights. And, yeah, he also really did employ a lot of people and give a bunch of his money to good causes. And that being self-centered really wasn't that bad of a thing.