Author Topic: Remember these things? (Dial-up beware!)  (Read 1827 times)

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
Remember these things? (Dial-up beware!)
« on: March 20, 2011, 08:37:59 AM »
I used to drive this back in the day  :old: and I forgot still had it until a week or two ago. I thought it was in my barn but it was stored under a tarp on the back of my property. Nothing is rusted out on it yet, something these old French cars were known to do, the floor is solid too. It only has ~42000KM (26000Miles) on it because back when I used it my dally commute was 2Km (I was lazy then, walking was out of the question and this car was cheap).

Made in 1981 this car will be 30 years old this year, enabling me to register it as vintage and skip safety inspections and get the special plates.

Back in the early 90's it was converted to run on LPG and I thought it might all still be in place but it turns out I removed the system at some point, It might be in my barn.

I might get it going again...I've got a 2 or 3 parts cars parked somewhere too. I put it away the best I could in terms of making it easy to get going again, I hope that work will pay off...

But this is worthless without pictures so...

^Very boring looking these days. Note the 3 bolt rims.

^I was always fond of how the back looked with the large rear window.

^The inside was nice and even though small, my at 6' 8" could fit in without much problem.

^Quite a small 4 cyl. Everything is stock except the alternator. Spare tire is in the barn.

^Doesn't look like much but with the seat folded down and a very square opening you could hold a good amount. It carried a fridge once.

^Last checked in 92' the year I stopped driving it. It took me 11 years to get 42000Km, something that takes me only a year and a half now.

^The correct reading

^I found the problem with it!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:48:13 AM by compaqxp »

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Remember these things? (Dial-up beware!)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 08:55:55 AM »
With today's gas prices, it might not be a bad idea to get it running again. Propane doesn't do much good for a vehicle and costs as much or more than gasoline. I'd still like to find a 79 Datsun 310 GX w/ the Targa band. I could milk 37 mpg out of the one I used to have.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 09:03:35 AM »
With today's gas prices, it might not be a bad idea to get it running again. Propane doesn't do much good for a vehicle and costs as much or more than gasoline. I'd still like to find a 79 Datsun 310 GX w/ the Targa band. I could milk 37 mpg out of the one I used to have.

I'm not too worried about gas prices since this one couldn't top the Jetta but it'd still be fun to drive around again, especially now that none are on the road around here. I'd drive it just to see the looks I got.

The LPG thing was more or less an experiment back then, with few filling spots I'd never consider putting a rig like that back on it. And the thought of a tank filled with LPG in the back of a car worries me now.

I think I'm going to try and get it running again, I quite liked it back then.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:27:12 AM »
The Le Car... it was a huge laughingstock over here.  I remember one poor kid at school who's parents had bought one. 

Shame, because the Renault R5 Turbo looks like an amazing little car.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:35:05 AM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »
So.....that's the famous Le Car.

I'd heard of them, but never paid much, if any, attention.

Coming from the land of supersized big pick-up trucks, I myself have always preferred low-riding, low-heighted automobiles--even though I'm 6'3" tall.  It's far much easier to handle it in wind, than high vehicles.

And as for "light-weight" and the snow, well, I've never been stuck, while I've seen a lot of great big huge vehicles stuck.  Ditto for ice; I've never slipped off a road or into another vehicle, while I've seen a lot of great big huge vehicles acting like pigs sliding on ice.

It's the driver, not the vehicle.

I notice most who get into some sort of trouble with their vehicles tend to be those who think a vehicle gives them special driving talents, which is all wrong.  A competent driver can handle things with just about any sort of vehicle, while a really good vehicle doesn't make for a competent driver.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 09:51:24 AM »
I don't think I've seen one since my freshman year of college, over 25 years ago.  I saw it being used as a float in one parade or another on campus.

It was sponsored by one of the fraternities, and pulled by the pledges, IIRC.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 11:55:39 AM »
Here is my husband's midlife crisis car that he just bought and he is patiently waited to be delivered from Gainesville, GA:     ::)

Do you think he will let me drive it?   :rotf: :bawl: :rotf: :bawl: