Author Topic: No professionalism anymore. I just get pissed looking at some of this stuff.  (Read 121833 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tropical-storm-erick-now-hurricane-143147032.html

Ok, so this is a story from People, apparently.  I'm not a journalist nor am I a professional writer, which is obvious if you read much of what I write here, but this is just ... stupid.

U.S.
Tropical Storm Erick Is Now a Hurricane — and Getting Stronger
People  Claudia Harmata,People 4 hours ago
Reactions  Reblog on Tumblr  Tweet  Email
Tropical Storm Erick — making its way over the eastern Pacific Ocean — evolved into a hurricane Monday night, according to the National Hurricane Center.

The storm is expected to travel westward, just south of Hawaii’s big island, though the hurricane is not expected to hit land.

Parts of Hawaii may see increased wind gusts and rainfall Thursday evening when Erick is anticipated south of the islands, and the conditions could continue through Friday. However, the National Hurricane Center reports that by Thursday, the hurricane will widdle down to a Tropical Storm once again.

SNIP

So I was confused when I read the bold part about the hurricane.  I've always heard that you WHITTLE something down.  Make is smaller or reshape it, right?

So I looked that word up;

widdle/ (ˈwɪdəl) British informal /
verb
(intr) to urinate
noun
urine
an act or instance of urinating

:lmao:

Someone should proofread for the author of this piece!  I guess this hurricane is going to blow in and piss down my leg?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
The snowflakes in Journalism school are too busy getting triggered and going to their safe space rather than learning how to write and report facts.

It's all about them.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
The snowflakes in Journalism school are too busy getting triggered and going to their safe space rather than learning how to write and report facts.

It's all about them.

Well, snowflakes do widdle on themselves frequently.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline freedumb2003b

Well, snowflakes do widdle on themselves frequently.

Because they have widdle wee wees.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Probably meant 'Dwindle' but it passed robot spell check because 'Widdle' was in the writer's dictionary, probably from writing snarky shit in the past.  Yeah, no professionalism, no editing, no quality work.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Probably meant 'Dwindle' but it passed robot spell check because 'Widdle' was in the writer's dictionary, probably from writing snarky shit in the past.  Yeah, no professionalism, no editing, no quality work.

I didn’t think of dwindle. Good call.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Ralph Wiggum

Here's a brief one from the Chicago Tribune breaking news email today:

There was a death of a festivalgoer Saturday night, the second in Lollapalooza’s history in the past two years.

Trying to cram too much into one sentence without being clear.  In Lollapalooza's history in the past two years? :banghead:

That makes it sound that Lollapalooza has only been around for two years, when in reality it started in 1991.  Eliminate the word "history" and it is much cleaner and crisp of a sentence.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Here's a brief one from the Chicago Tribune breaking news email today:

Trying to cram too much into one sentence without being clear.  In Lollapalooza's history in the past two years? :banghead:

That makes it sound that Lollapalooza has only been around for two years, when in reality it started in 1991.  Eliminate the word "history" and it is much cleaner and crisp of a sentence.

I see it all the time and it's frustrating.  ESPECIALLY when it's the frigging headline!

KC

*Stolen

Offline Ralph Wiggum

Read this blather from CBS news and tell me if it is objective:

Jeffrey Epstein's death by apparent suicide inspires new conspiracy theories.

https://tiny.iavian.net/ugwq

Mr. Trump, who rose to conservative prominence by falsely claiming Obama wasn't born in the U.S., retweeted unsubstantiated claims about Epstein's death.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: