Author Topic: Russia Rattles it's Saber.  (Read 1539 times)

Offline djones520

Russia Rattles it's Saber.
« on: July 08, 2008, 01:27:15 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,378065,00.html

MOSCOW —  Russia will be forced to make a military response if the U.S.-Czech missile defense agreement is ratified, the Foreign Ministry said Tuesday.

The statement came hours after U.S. and Czech officials reached an initial agreement on deploying elements of a missile defense system in the Eastern European country.

Russia says the system would severely undermine European security balances by weakening Russia's missile capacity.

If the agreement is ratified, "we will be forced to react not with diplomatic, but with military-technical methods," the Foreign Ministry statement said. It did not give specifics of what the response would entail.

In February, then-President Vladimir Putin said Russia could aim missiles toward prospective missile defense sites and deploy missiles in the Baltic Sea region of Kaliningrad, which borders Poland, if the missile defense plan went forward.

The U.S. has pushed the plan as necessary to prevent missile attacks by rogue nations, pointing to Iran as a particular concern. But Russia dismisses the likelihood of such threats.

My only thought is "So?".

As if they still don't have a number of nukes pointed are way.  :whatever:
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Russia Rattles it's Saber.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 01:41:46 PM »
Short of re-invading Eastern Eupope, it's kind of hard to see how this threatens anything they don't already have the unrestrained power to implement in an hour.  If anything, it seems it would underline to the Czechs why they might need a missile defense facing East. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 01:42:02 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,378065,00.html

My only thought is "So?".

As if they still don't have a number of nukes pointed are way.  :whatever:
[/quote]

I suspect that the real issue is, how many would actually function if used.........it is my understanding that nukes are "high maintenance" weapons, and the Russians aren't noted for their maintenance capabilities.....particularly since they have been, until recent oil revenues started coming in....unable to regularly meet their military payrolls......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 02:05:38 PM »
Nukes require more maintenance and constant rebuilding than a 50-year-old English sports car engine, however the Russkiis no doubt stiffed the troops, ship, and aircraft crews to pay the bills on that.  It's a little-known fact in the civilian West, but the Soviet military was divided into five separate branches rather than the typical three in most Western nations, which made it much easier to figure out who to keep paying - Red Army, Red Air Force, Red Navy, PVO-Stranii (Air Defense Forces), or the Strategic Rocket Forces.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 03:15:45 PM »
I have no doubt that The Russkies kept the missiles up to date . They seem to forget that we too have plenty left in our own silos and subs to bury them in radioactive waste for the next 10,000 years or so.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline djones520

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 03:24:24 PM »
I have no doubt that The Russkies kept the missiles up to date . They seem to forget that we too have plenty left in our own silos and subs to bury them in radioactive waste for the next 10,000 years or so.

I doubt they've forgotten.  They just don't like the fact that we now have a pretty reliable means to counter them, but they don't for us.  Thats whats with all the empty posturing.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 10:11:30 PM »

I doubt they've forgotten.  They just don't like the fact that we now have a pretty reliable means to counter them, but they don't for us.  Thats whats with all the empty posturing.

True. Its hard to be happy when you have fallen from the top. It must realy twist their panties to know they can't get a decent fleet to sea and most of their air force is waiting to become canned beets. Their Army while still large isn't going to move without food or cash to pay for their service.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 12:44:37 PM »

True. Its hard to be happy when you have fallen from the top. It must realy twist their panties to know they can't get a decent fleet to sea and most of their air force is waiting to become canned beets. Their Army while still large isn't going to move without food or cash to pay for their service.

And their once-feared "boomer" fleet is rotting at the pier.......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 09:04:36 PM »
The last I heard and it maybe wrong but , Their Typhoon SSBN subs are now down to around 3 usable subs. And to think most of America was scared crapless when "The Hunt For Red October" came out.
MOLON LABE

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 09:38:06 AM »
The last I heard and it maybe wrong but , Their Typhoon SSBN subs are now down to around 3 usable subs. And to think most of America was scared crapless when "The Hunt For Red October" came out.

I think the end of their era as a submarine power came when they tested their new rocket-powered hyper torpedo, and blew the bow off of the "Kirsk" (at least I think that was the vessels name)......

doc