Author Topic: The sad saga of a soldier from Long Island  (Read 1484 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
The sad saga of a soldier from Long Island
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:37:02 AM »

The March 2003 image became one of the most iconic of the U.S. invasion of Iraq: that of a bespectacled American soldier carrying an Iraqi child to safety. The photograph of Army Pfc. Joseph Dwyer, who was raised in Mount Sinai, was used by news outlets around the world.

After being lionized by many as the human face of the U.S. effort to rebuild a troubled Iraq, Dwyer brought the battlefield home with him, often grappling violently with delusions that he was being hunted by Iraqi killers.

His internal terror got so bad that, in 2005, he shot up his El Paso, Texas, apartment and held police at bay for three hours with a 9-mm handgun, believing Iraqis were trying to get in.

Last month, on June 28, police in Pinehurst, N.C., who responded to Dwyer's home, said the 31-year-old collapsed and died after abusing a computer cleaner aerosol. Dwyer had moved to North Carolina after living in Texas.

Dwyer, who joined the Army two days after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and who was assigned to a unit of the 3rd Infantry Division that one officer called "the tip of the tip of the spear" in the first days of the U.S. invasion, had since then battled depression, sleeplessness and other anxieties that military doctors eventually attributed to post-traumatic stress disorder.

The war that made him a hero at 26 haunted him to the last moments of his life.

"He loved the picture, don't get me wrong, but he just couldn't get over the war," his mother, Maureen Dwyer, said by telephone from her home in Sunset Beach, N.C. "He wasn't Joseph anymore. Joseph never came home."

Dwyer's parents said they tried to get help for their son, appealing to Army and Veterans Affairs officials. Although he was treated off and on in VA facilities, he was never able to shake his anxieties.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-lisold0706,0,814136,print.story

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: The sad saga of a soldier from Long Island
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:37:52 AM »
RIP soldier.  The demons that were chasing you are gone now.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 09:48:57 AM »
This is so sad.  Why can't the VA do a better job at getting these guys the help they need?

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 10:13:20 AM »
This is so sad.  Why can't the VA do a better job at getting these guys the help they need?

Cause turing over Health Care of civilians to the federal government and expanding welfare to the masses is more important.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 10:33:45 AM »
RIP solider.

Let's hope the leftist idjits don't decide to use his grave as a podium. Of course we know they will....
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline djones520

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 10:36:37 AM »
 :taps:
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Zafod Beeblebrox

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 02:05:57 PM »
He died from huffing dustoff or somthing like it?
Damm... RIP brother.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 04:25:44 PM »
RIP. You did your job and after that you fought an even harder battle. God bless you for the serivce you gave.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 04:30:50 PM »
What a very sad end for an American Hero. May he rest peacefully  in God's care.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 09:54:03 PM »
I read about this during lunch...almost started crying at work.  Guess the good really do go young.   :(

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.