Author Topic: Supreme Court strikes down D.C. handgun ban, 5-4  (Read 18347 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Supreme Court strikes down D.C. handgun ban, 5-4
« on: June 26, 2008, 09:30:20 AM »
That's the majority in DC v. Heller.

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:35:27 AM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Wretched Excess

Re: 5-4
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »

I am pleasantly, but totally surprised.

Can we clean the title of this thread up?  it's going to be a talker, and needs to be
more clear as to the subject.

Offline Wretched Excess

Re: Supreme Court strikes down D.C. handgun ban, 5-4
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 09:36:24 AM »
Supreme Court strikes down D.C. handgun ban

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court says Americans have a right to own guns for self-defense and hunting, the justices' first definitive pronouncement on gun rights in U.S. history.

link

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:40:22 AM »
I imagine the primitives on Skins's island are going batshit crazy about this.

Alas, it's very hot and humid here, and so I'm going to take off for a while.

If someone in air-conditioned quarters can post primitive reactions, I'd appreciate it.

But man, 5-4 is too narrow for me.

It seems we still need at least two more Supreme Court justices to make the court more reflective of popular opinion.  At least two more.  This should have been a no-brainer, 9-0.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 09:42:24 AM »
Am I to assume Kennedy finally got one right?  :whatever:

The 4 opposed shouldn't be on the f'n bench. This is a basic right inserted into the Constitution at the time of our founding.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 09:44:07 AM »
Way too close of a decision.

And this statement...

Quote from:
In dissent, Justice John Paul Stevens wrote that the majority "would have us believe that over 200 years ago, the Framers made a choice to limit the tools available to elected officials wishing to regulate civilian uses of weapons."

... is a classic example of trying to reframe the debate.  If that were the case, then you'd see a large numer of advocacy groups trying to prevent gov't from keeping guns out of the hands of convicted felons or to prevent gov't from having individuals create nukes in their basement,  So obviously, we as a society have the right to draw a line and say "You committed a certain crime and so you lose your RKBA.  And we don't want people building bombs in their basements."  Stevens and the other 3 want to draw the line way too far the other way.  I have no doubt those 4 would vote to confiscate all privately owned guns if they could have their way, though they'd never admit to it publicly.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Jim

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 09:48:42 AM »
This is a Red Letter Day for America and a very welcome acknowledgement that the Constitution does still have a little bearing on our country.

My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Jim

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 09:51:10 AM »
I imagine the primitives on Skins's island are going batshit crazy about this.

Alas, it's very hot and humid here, and so I'm going to take off for a while.

If someone in air-conditioned quarters can post primitive reactions, I'd appreciate it.

But man, 5-4 is too narrow for me.

It seems we still need at least two more Supreme Court justices to make the court more reflective of popular opinion.  At least two more.  This should have been a no-brainer, 9-0.

certainly should have been a 9-0 no-brainer decision but I would suggest that instead of saying to reflect popular opinion to say reflect the actual Constitution.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 09:51:58 AM »

And this statement...

Quote from:
In dissent, Justice John Paul Stevens wrote that the majority "would have us believe that over 200 years ago, the Framers made a choice to limit the tools available to elected officials wishing to regulate civilian uses of weapons."

Ummm, Justice Stevens...

Having just spent 8 years at war to throw off the tyranny of elected officials (don't forget, it wasn't just King George that waged war against the Americans - to punish their rebellion and bring them in line with the crown - it was the British Parliament in lockstep with the SoB), YES I think limiting the authority of elected officials to keep the power-driven in check was EXACTLY WHAT THE FRAMERS CHOSE, YOU DUMB****!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:53:31 AM by DefiantSix »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Jim

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 09:54:22 AM »

why yes John Paul, they actually did.  are you just now figuring this out ?

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 10:08:51 AM »
5-4 is ridiculous in this case.  If there was ever a case which afforded the usual "gang of four" an opportunity to demonstrate they can be on the side of the US Constitution, this was it.  Instead they show us once again how little regard they have for this nation as established by our constitution and the blood and guts of the men and women who have given their lives for this country in order to keep us a free people.

If this Supreme Court was about interpreting the constitution, this would have be a 9-0 decision.  The Second Amendment is not ambiguous or unclear.   Instead, what we have is at least four justices who admit this day that what our Constitution clearly states makes no difference if it does not support their radical agenda.

While this ruling is correct in its outcome, the margin on the correct side is dangerously inadequate.  I find my celebration of this occasion greatly tempered by my depression caused by the reality of what it truly represents.  

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 10:18:37 AM »

why yes John Paul, they actually did.  are you just now figuring this out ?

Agreed.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 10:22:26 AM »

And this statement...

Quote from:

Ummm, Justice Stevens...

Having just spent 8 years at war to throw off the tyranny of elected officials (don't forget, it wasn't just King George that waged war against the Americans - to punish their rebellion and bring them in line with the crown - it was the British Parliament in lockstep with the SoB), YES I think limiting the authority of elected officials to keep the power-driven in check was EXACTLY WHAT THE FRAMERS CHOSE, YOU DUMB****!

Absolutely, Hi5!

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 11:06:03 AM »
I'm doing my Happy Dance!!!!! :-) :yahoo:

And I'm going to go buy some ammo. Heck, we may even treat ourselves to a new handgun. I think I'll go to the range too.  :II:

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 11:15:49 AM »
Those folks in DC shouldn't get too anxious. I just heard Fenty speak (Mayor of DC) and it sounds as if semi-autos will still be banned.

Fenty And Police Chief Speak
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 11:20:31 AM by Thor »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jim

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »
Those folks in DC shouldn't get too anxious. I just heard Fenty speak (Mayor of DC) and it sounds as if semi-autos will still be banned.

now that "shall not be infringed" is just what it says, I kinda doubt it.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 11:29:12 AM »
I can't wait until the people of D.C. can defend themselves and the violent crime stats come down. Fenty and Lainier will be eating crow.

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 11:39:43 AM »
I can't wait until the people of D.C. can defend themselves and the violent crime stats come down. Fenty and Lainier will be eating crow.

Those that defend themselves with deadly force will likely still be up on charges in the District, on the prosecutor's thinking that the USSC may have affirmed the right to KEEP and BEAR arms for "hunting and self defense", but it didn't say anything about USING the arms for hunting or self defense.

The bureaucrats will not be denied their pound of flesh for this "outrage", on that you can rest assured.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »
That's expected to say the least. Of course the ACLU will be absent if such a case ever comes to pass. *eyeroll*

You'd think Fenty and Lainier would welcome the housekeeping.

Offline Jim

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 11:48:52 AM »
That's expected to say the least. Of course the ACLU will be absent if such a case ever comes to pass. *eyeroll*

You'd think Fenty and Lainier would welcome the housekeeping.

if things get better they can't whine for more money to (effectively) keep things the same or worse

Offline Jim

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 11:55:37 AM »
A NOTE FROM NEAL (Boortz snipped off the newz)

Even though I'm on vacation this week ... with cell phones turned off ... I've been waiting for the Supremes to issue their ruling on our right to own guns.  Finally the Supreme Court, though by a narrow margin, has ruled that the 2nd Amendment protects the rights of citizens not the rights of government.  Good news for those who believe in the sanctity of the individual, bad news for those that believe we are here merely to serve the ends of government. 

Here's something else you may want to ponder as the uproar over this ruling spreads.  (Oh, those poor Brady people).  Without the appointments made to the Supreme Court by George W. Bush this probably would have been completely different.  With Al Gore in the presidency your right to own a gun for self-defense would have been ripped away today.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 12:00:04 PM »

Those that defend themselves with deadly force will likely still be up on charges in the District, on the prosecutor's thinking that the USSC may have affirmed the right to KEEP and BEAR arms for "hunting and self defense", but it didn't say anything about USING the arms for hunting or self defense.

The bureaucrats will not be denied their pound of flesh for this "outrage", on that you can rest assured.
They didn't limit what I can hunt did they?
I'll just be hunting varmits.  *wink, wink*

Offline Chris_

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 12:05:50 PM »
Justice Kennedy, in a rare moment of lucidity, has, for once decided that the Constitution actually means what it says......don't count on such clarity of thought from him tomorrow.....fortunately for the Republic, today is the last day of the current SCOTUS term.......

If you read Justice Scalia's majority opinion, the comments of the DC mayor are uneducated bullcrap, and completely untrue.....just pandering to his liberal and black constituancies......typical of the type......DC may be allowed to establish some form of licensing scheme, but according to the decision it must be "reasonable", and cannot be arbitrarily withheld....this will also strike down Chicago's ban as well.....there are some nebulous areas in the opinion, specifically regarding the effects on such weapons as "machine guns", and its effect of the '36, and '86 NFA statutes, but the decision will go a long way toward clarifying the points for future litigation.  This is a BIG win.......and will result in a lot of litigation over the next few years, vis-a-vis other bans/limitations/prohibitions.....but a giant step in the right direction.

It is a great day for freedom!

doc

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 12:08:29 PM »

I just read that the president of the NRA was just on foxnews saying they were going to file suit in
chicago against their handgun laws.

as I understand it, chicago has a law that says that a resident may own a handgun only if it is
registered by the chicago police dept . . . . but the chicago police department refuses to register any
handgun purchased after 1982, thereby creating a de facto ban on handguns.  oh, and I assume
everyone has read the stories about crime running rampant in chicago recently. :whatever:

anyway, let's see what The BarackStar! has to say about that.

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 12:15:03 PM »

I just read that the president of the NRA was just on foxnews saying they were going to file suit in
chicago against their handgun laws.

as I understand it, chicago has a law that says that a resident may own a handgun only if it is
registered by the chicago police dept . . . . but the chicago police department refuses to register any
handgun purchased after 1982, thereby creating a de facto ban on handguns.  oh, and I assume
everyone has read the stories about crime running rampant in chicago recently. :whatever:

anyway, let's see what The BarackStar! has to say about that.

The SCOTUS decision specifically overturns de facto bans as well, and forbids "registration", it will allow "licensing", however, you have to have a "license" (FOID) in Illinois to own a firearm at present anyway......so Chicago is SOL......

doc
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:23:15 PM by TVDOC »