Author Topic: Warner Bros. Discovery shuttering CNN+ amid reports of dismal subscriber numbers  (Read 594 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
That train wreck will last all of a month before Big Daddy Warner Bros. pulls the plug. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of cretins.  :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Where's Chris Wallace gonna go? How much of a golden parachute will he get? Not that I give a rip. I'm just glad to see that CNN is taking this one in the shorts.

Warner Bros. Discovery is shutting down the newly launched CNN+ and is expected to address the closure with staffers on Thursday, Variety reported Thursday morning.

What are the details?
Variety first reported that incoming CNN CEO Chris Licht told staffers on Thursday morning that an "important meeting" was scheduled for noon.

The meeting, according to the report, is "expected to inform employees about the decision." Licht is said to have already notified CNN executive vice president Andrew Morse, who oversees all programming of the newly launched outlet.

Of the news, CNN's Brian Stelter tweeted, "Breaking: CNN+, the streaming service that was hyped as one of the most signifiant [sic] developments in the history of CNN, will shut down on April 30, just one month after it launched."

Stelter's tweet cited a CNN report that confirmed the news.

"CNN+, the streaming service that was hyped as one of the most significant developments in the history of CNN, will shut down on April 30, just one month after it launched," the outlet reported. "The decision was made by new management after CNN's former parent company, WarnerMedia, merged with Discovery to form Warner Bros. Discovery. David Zaslav, the chief executive of Warner Bros. Discovery, has said that he wants to house all of the company's brands under one streaming service. Some CNN+ programming may eventually live on through that service."

What else?
CNN+, the premium news subscription service headlined by former longtime Fox News anchor Chris Wallace, garnered only about 150,000 subscribers, according to a Tuesday report. A previous report claimed the streaming service saw a mere 10,000 viewers on a daily basis.

The service launched on March 29 and charged subscribers $5.99 per month, or $59.99 annually, for its content.

Just days after the launch, Fox Business senior correspondent Charles Gasparino reported that CNN+ employees could soon see mass layoffs.

Gasparino at the time said that the company failed to drive subscriptions and may be hemorrhaging cash.

"@CNNplus employees bracing for layoffs possibly as soon as May amid projections of lackluster sales of new streaming channel," Gasparino reported on Twitter. "CNN employees say new streaming channel could be merged into larger @discoveryplus as early as May unless subscriptions pick up."

The Blaze
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline SVPete

Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch! :rotf:

Was Wallace stupid enough to burn his bridges to Fox down to the water's edge? :loser:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch! :rotf:

Was Wallace stupid enough to burn his bridges to Fox down to the water's edge? :loser:

I think Fox would be incredibly stupid to bring him back on. He's made his bed -- now he's gotta lie in it. Besides, he did make some "bridge-burning comments" about Tucker's series about the election fraud.

Chris Wallace, the disgraced ex-Fox News Channel host, took a number of cheap shots at his former place of employment during an exclusive interview with The New York Times.

“I just no longer felt comfortable with the programming at Fox,” said Wallace, the notorious never-Trumper.

Mr. Wallace left Fox News after nearly two decades to take a low-level job hosting a digital program on CNN, the fledgling leftwing news channel.

He castigated both the network and Tucker Carlson, the top-rated host in all of cable television.

“I’m fine with opinion: conservative opinion, liberal opinion,” Mr. Wallace said in his first extensive interview about his decision to leave. “But when people start to question the truth — Who won the 2020 election? Was Jan. 6 an insurrection? — I found that unsustainable.”

https://townhall.com/columnists/toddstarnes/2022/03/28/tucker-carlson-broke-never-trumper-chris-wallace-n2605102

Offline SVPete

“But when people start to question the truth — ... Was Jan. 6 an insurrection? — I found that unsustainable.”

If Fox News manglement have a quarter of a functioning brain among them, they'd recognize that as Oh-Hell-No!-grade to most of their viewers.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Muddling 2

If Fox News manglement have a quarter of a functioning brain among them, they'd recognize that as Oh-Hell-No!-grade to most of their viewers.

Man, CNN didn't last as long as Jeffery Toobin in a Zoom meeting.

:-)
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Drafe Hoblin

" We now go to our reporter on the ground in Lakehurst... "

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
While I heard the obvious comparison of CNN- to "New Coke", I think a more apt analogy would be "The Chevy Chase Show".  Which outlasted CNN+/-.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Man, CNN didn't last as long as Jeffery Toobin in a Zoom meeting.

:-)

:rotf: :lmao:

h5