Author Topic: primitives dine on brain food; doesn't work  (Read 1670 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives dine on brain food; doesn't work
« on: December 30, 2008, 08:19:46 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4731991

By the way, folks, there's a lot of primitive bonfires in Flame's food forum here, too.

alfredo  (1000+ posts)        Mon Dec-29-08 02:34 PM
Original message

Wine, Tea, and Chocolate are brain food. 

Yep, I can justify my weaknesses.

http://www.physorg.com/news149185135.html

Chocolate, Wine And Tea Improve Brain Performance
December 22nd, 2008 in Medicine & Health / Health

(PhysOrg.com) -- All that chocolate might actually help finish the bumper Christmas crossword .....blahblahblah a bunch of arcane dietary jargon.....

Javaman  (1000+ posts)        Mon Dec-29-08 02:38 PM
Response to Original message

1. So while I recover with a cup of hot tea from my wine binge, I will down a box full of chocolate happy in the notion that my noggin is not foggin.

Trust me; the noggin's not only "foggin," it's drowning.

And then the warped primitive, who has that most peculiar characteristic of being "allergic" to things good for her, and not allergic to things bad for her:

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Mon Dec-29-08 02:38 PM
Response to Original message

2. People outside the southwest have no idea how much hot chile can add to the flavor of even sweetened chocolate, although they might have a nodding acquaintance with mole poblano.

The trick is to use enough to wake up all your tastebuds without discouraging chile wimps from eating your goodies.

Your recipe is a great one for folks outside the desert southwest.

alfredo  (1000+ posts)        Mon Dec-29-08 02:45 PM
Response to Reply #2

4. Hot peppers speed up the metabolism and aid in weight loss.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Mon Dec-29-08 02:47 PM
Response to Reply #4

7. Not well enough or I'd be a skeleton instead of a blimp.

Now, the warped primitive is not doing herself justice here.

The warped primitive is solidly built, like a football quarterback, and although a woman with the lusts of a woman, was unfortunately cheated by genetics, and is big-shouldered, mannish, in appearance.

If I was in a barroom brawl, I'd like the warped primitive to be on my side, or if I were stuck in the snow, I'd like the warped primitive to push me out.

That's not blimpish; that's just a strong woman, a woman with the strength of a man.

AnnieBW  (1000+ posts)      Mon Dec-29-08 10:26 PM
Response to Reply #2

25. I tried it in Australia

It's an acquired taste. One that I'm not inclined to acquire. Of course, they had chili pepper flakes in the chocolate that I tried. It might be different if it was powdered chilis.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-30-08 12:01 AM
Response to Reply #25

31. It needs to be subtle and the stuff you put on top of your pizza is far from subtle.

The hot stuff is supposed to wake your tongue up, not burn your tonsils and get stuck between your teeth.

And on it goes, the primitives concocting the weirdest combinations of food ever devised in the whole history of mankind.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
Re: primitives dine on brain food; doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 08:35:14 PM »
How about Cheetos dipped in chocolate then deep fried in hemp oil?
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 08:57:54 PM »
I've heard that chocolate "adds" to the flavor of hot peppers, but I haven't done a batch of chili this year.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

This is the kind of stuff food nerds, C.I.A. graduates (Culinary Institute of America), and professional chefs love.  Me, I could take it or leave it but if your job is to come up with fancy things that taste good, trivia like that is important (like adding a pinch of salt to your chocolate to make it taste sweeter).   You're not going to find a lot of them working at TGI Friday's or Red Lobster, but I've worked in at least one place that was packed to the gills with them.  The home restaurant was in Orlando and hired C.I.A. grads. 

I added a tablespoon of yellow curry once to my potato salad.  It was kinda nice. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 09:00:30 PM by Chris »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 08:58:03 PM »
You know, this doesn't surprise me as it is a well known fact that zombies crave brains.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 10:11:51 PM »
I've heard that chocolate "adds" to the flavor of hot peppers, but I haven't done a batch of chili this year.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

This is the kind of stuff food nerds, C.I.A. graduates (Culinary Institute of America), and professional chefs love.  Me, I could take it or leave it but if your job is to come up with fancy things that taste good, trivia like that is important (like adding a pinch of salt to your chocolate to make it taste sweeter).   You're not going to find a lot of them working at TGI Friday's or Red Lobster, but I've worked in at least one place that was packed to the gills with them.  The home restaurant was in Orlando and hired C.I.A. grads. 

I added a tablespoon of yellow curry once to my potato salad.  It was kinda nice. 

I had a recipe for a hot chocolate mix that included a little cayenne.  It really did make a difference and it was the best hot chocolate.

edited to add:  I found it, it was an Alton Brown recipe.  And just a teeny bit of cayenne is needed.

Ingredients

* 2 cups powdered sugar
    * 1 cup cocoa (Dutch-process preferred)
    * 2 1/2 cups powdered milk
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 2 teaspoons cornstarch
    * 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste
    * Hot water

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and incorporate evenly. In a small pot, heat 4 to 6 cups of water.

Fill your mug half full with the mixture and pour in hot water. Stir to combine. Seal the rest in an airtight container, keeps indefinitely in the pantry. This also works great with warm milk.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:14:31 PM by Miss Mia »
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 10:13:56 PM »

I had a recipe for a hot chocolate mix that included a little cayenne.  It really did make a difference and it was the best hot chocolate.

I had a basic recipe for hot chocolate.  It was a hot cup of heavy cream and half a chocolate bar (4 ounces) melted, poured into a glass of milk.  Still haven't tried it yet -- I don't keep milk around the house because I never use it.  (I have a box of powdered milk for baking).
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Flame

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 08:51:16 AM »
I had a basic recipe for hot chocolate.  It was a hot cup of heavy cream and half a chocolate bar (4 ounces) melted, poured into a glass of milk.  Still haven't tried it yet -- I don't keep milk around the house because I never use it.  (I have a box of powdered milk for baking).

No milk in the house?  That made me laugh, because we go through about a gallon a day here!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 08:55:28 AM »
Like they were actually using their brains for anything besides skull packaging material in the first place.

As far as the pepper goes, the original chocolate drink invented by the Mesoamerican natives was quite the peppery thing, and not actually sweet.  Interesting bit of convergence back to the origin of it in that stuff about the pepper/chocolate synergy. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 09:40:13 AM »
No milk in the house?  That made me laugh, because we go through about a gallon a day here!

I go through a half gallon a month.  I buy the Horizon organic milk because the expiration date is always a month away.  I go through cereal phases where I use more and then I've thrown it out plenty of times.  I like those Martha White muffin mixes and they call for 1/2 cup milk.  :)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 01:51:35 PM »
You know, this doesn't surprise me as it is a well known fact that zombies crave brains.
Here you have one of the best kept culinary secrets of the modern world.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 01:52:25 PM »
Since my wife and I are both from New Mexico, we put chili in just about everything.
Red chili and chocolate is an old tradition.

I even have some Christmas cookies with a red chili/sugar cracking on them.

I put ketchup on eggs, does that count?  :-)
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 02:15:14 PM »
I put ketchup on eggs, does that count?  :-)

Only on scrambled eggs or omelets.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 05:13:33 PM »
AnnieBW  (1000+ posts)      Mon Dec-29-08 10:26 PM
Response to Reply #2

25. I tried it in Australia

It's an acquired taste. One that I'm not inclined to acquire. Of course, they had chili pepper flakes in the chocolate that I tried. It might be different if it was powdered chilis.

You can actually buy a chili chocolate in the supermarkets / corner stores here.

http://www.lindt.com.au/1/12/28.asp

It's made from the 70+% coco chocolate. It needs more chili imo.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 06:36:37 PM »
I have a chili recipe that has unsweetened cocoa as a stealth ingredient. It's a pretty decent recipe but I'm not overly fond of chili myself.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline djones520

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 07:05:35 PM »
I think TiT more then proves this is bullshit.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."