Author Topic: Bush attacks Obama foreign policy plan  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
Bush attacks Obama foreign policy plan
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:07:21 PM »
President Bush attacked a key foreign policy stance of Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), contending heatedly at a news conference Thursday morning that talking to dictators without preconditions can be dangerous and counterproductive.

Obama’s argument that the president “should never fear to negotiate” with America’s enemies — including Cuba's new leader, Raul Castro — is one of his clearest differences with his rival for the presidential nomination, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.).

At a news conference where Bush showed unusual passion for a president in his waning months, he said “now is not the time” to talk with Castro.

“What's lost ... by embracing a tyrant who puts his people in prison because of their political beliefs?” he said. “What's lost is, it'll send the wrong message. It'll send a discouraging message to those who wonder whether America will continue to work for the freedom of prisoners. It'll give great status to those ... who have suppressed human rights and human dignity.

“The idea of embracing a leader who's done this, without any attempt on his part to ... release prisoners and free their society, would be counterproductive and send the wrong signal.”

Warming to the subject, Bush continued: “Sitting down at the table, having your picture taken with a tyrant such as Raul Castro, for example, lends the status of the office and the status of our country to him. He gains a lot from it by saying, 'Look at me. I'm now recognized by the president of the United States.'”

Obama responded in a statement: “The American people aren’t looking for more of a do-nothing Cuba policy that has failed to secure the release of dissidents, failed to bring democracy to the island, and failed to advance freedom for fifty years, because they know we need to pursue new opportunities to achieve liberty for the Cuban people. If I am the Democratic nominee, I will offer the clearest contrast to John McCain’s call for four more years of George Bush’s policies, because I want to fundamentally change our foreign policy to secure the American people and restore our standing in the world."

More: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8754.html
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
Re: Bush attacks Obama foreign policy plan
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 07:10:09 PM »
Dupe.

http://www.conservativescave.com/index.php?topic=3393.msg43035#msg43035

I messed up putting it in GD... if a mod could merge it or something, that'd be great/

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline LadyLiberty

Re: Bush attacks Obama foreign policy plan
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 08:39:13 PM »
“Sitting down at the table, having your picture taken with a tyrant such as Raul Castro, for example, lends the status of the office and the status of our country to him. He gains a lot from it by saying, 'Look at me. I'm now recognized by the president of the United States.'”

And the libtards say Bush is dumb  :mental:  :bird:

Bush has it right on.  A tyrant like Castro sitting with the POTUS is about as arrogant as it gets, especially considering our relationship with Cuba.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama