Author Topic: Let' s not forget what was going on the world when Reagan "took" the Presidency  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Horse with no Name  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Jan-17-08 12:24 AM
Original message
Let' s not forget what was going on the world when Reagan "took" the Presidency

We had just come off of a Carter presidency who tried to wean us off of foreign oil, who tried to get us to conserve, who initiated CAFE standards for automakers. He encouraged people to turn back their thermostats, wear sweaters, and CONSERVE our precious energy and resources. He encouraged us to be good stewards and leave the world better for others. We are all in this together.
Along came Reagan. Undid all of the good things that Carter did. Conservation out the window. Encouraged us to consume as much whenever and wherever we wanted. Use all the oil you can! Drive the biggest car you can! Consume Consume Consume! rang out through the land. Our country turned from shared sacrifice to ME ME ME ME!
I'd like for some stupid ****er to come along and say NOW who was right and who was wrong? *******ed this pisses me off.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x4091214

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Mr Mannn

Yep. Republicans never win, we just take things.
--seriously, if this were true, why would democrats ever win? We would rule forever!
And I would have a snazzy job as a guard at a Liberal Re-education Camp.

Offline ReardenSteel

Damn American's for choosing freedom, prosperity and security over "shared sacrifice". What were we thinking?  ::)
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
For all those that weren`t alive or very old during the Carter administration it was one of the darkest times this country has seen in its history.

The dems had destroyed our sense of national pride by losing Vietnam,the USSR was on the move around the world,inflation at double digits,interest rates over 20% unemployment double that of now and a President who was resigned that Americas best days were behind it.

Due to his ineptness Islamofacisim took hold which is his real legacy.
It matters not what DUmmies think of him,history has placed him in the bottom group of Presidents and he will never be removed from that position.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Even though Carter's actual reason for taking that stance was not his Holy Greenness, but the fact that he had so totally FUBARed our foreign relations with oil-producing states with which we had formerly been on good terms that he had no real choice but to make a virtue of a necessity, even if the necessity was created entirely by his own fundamental incompetence....   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline redwhit

The only thing Carter was good for was for kids like me who could sell overpriced sodas to people in gas lines (odd and even days - remember that?)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Carter tried to "wean us off of foreign oil"?

Funny I seem to remember it was because the Saudi's tried to cut our supply off.

The Nameless Horse sure has an odd revisionist view of the 70's.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Carter tried to get rid of his image as a wimp by leaking info on the stealth bomber too. As if he was the one responsible for the project.
Didn't work.
And 444 days, can't forget that.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
The Nameless Horse sure has an odd revisionist view of the 70's.

Ms. Ed the unappellated eohippus has odd views about just about everything and anything.

Her views depend upon how she feels about the person.

If Ms. Ed likes the person, no matter what the person did, bad or good, it's all okay with Ms. Ed.

If Ms. Ed dislikes the person, no matter what the person did, bad or good, it's all wrong with Ms. Ed.

I'm really surprised I seem to be the only person who's noticed this about the unappellated eohippus, a practitioner of the cult of personality.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lord Undies

Carter:  The President of dark street corners and partially lit freeways.  Yes, those were some humbling days for Americans. 

Offline DaSaintFan

Carter:  The President of dark street corners and partially lit freeways.  Yes, those were some humbling days for Americans. 

And 270 in St. Louis still scares me at night, cause the city never restored the lights on that interstate after that "brilliant" idea.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Is HWNN positing that election stealing was going on even then??   :mental:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant

KC

IMHO there are a certain group of hard core Libtards that believe that ANY election that a Democrat doesn't win is "stolen".
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!

KC

IMHO there are a certain group of hard core Libtards that believe that ANY election that a Democrat doesn't win is "stolen".

Which is amazing given the fact they will openly admit that 50% of the nation are idiots.  They just haven't figured out which 50% it is!   :-)

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
I work 16 to 20-hour days and hurt so bad I can only sleep a few hours at a time before my muscles lock-up and wake me from the pain.

There is no end in sight because the so called "precious resources" are massive oceans under my frost-bitten feet and we have more work than we can handle.

Ignorant, fantasizing jag-offs bloviating to puff their egos up so they can feel superior to everyone else.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!

Not to forget the drunken brother pissing in an alley on live TV.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Didn't he fly around in a invisible plane and have a rope that he could lasso people with and force them to tell the truth? Oh wait sorry, that was Linda Carter... never mind.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
The only thing Carter was good for was for kids like me who could sell overpriced sodas to people in gas lines (odd and even days - remember that?)

Oh yes I do. My dad owned a gas station and it was my lucky job to do things like check gas gauges and put the "last car" sign on the last car. It was a damn good thing we had a 100+ lb German Shepherd as our watch dog. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Zynx  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-17-08 12:43 AM
Response to Original message
18. Exactly my point as I state in my thread:
 http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.ph...

The "**** everyone else and **** responsibility! I want mine right now!!! Gimme!"

That's what liberalism is, dumbass.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.