Author Topic: UAW workers picket UAW headquarters  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
UAW workers picket UAW headquarters
« on: October 17, 2010, 02:03:32 PM »
GM workers protest low-wage small-car plant

About 100 General Motors Co workers and retirees picketed outside the United Auto Workers union's headquarters on Saturday to protest plans to build a new small car with low-wage workers.

The protest came just days after some veteran UAW workers at the Orion plant near Detroit were told they would have to accept wages that are about half what they had been making and as GM rushes to complete preparations for a stock offering.

GM plans to employ just over 1,300 workers to build a new subcompact car for its Chevrolet brand and the Buick Verano compact at the now-shuttered Orion Township assembly plant when production begins in August.
Reuters

Unemployment in Orion Township, MI is 13.8 percent, but the UAW brothers and sisters don't let that stop them from complaining about the jobs they have left.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Gratiot

Re: UAW workers picket UAW headquarters
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 07:05:50 PM »
Unemployment in Orion Township, MI is 13.8 percent, but the UAW brothers and sisters don't let that stop them from complaining about the jobs they have left.

When blue collar - middle class families are likely facing a 50% decline in their incomes, I think it's fairly understandable for their to be some anguish and desires to vent.  A small protest can be a good relief outlet for that, if for nothing more than their own peace of mind. 

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 10:07:20 PM »
Nothing pisses me off more then a union picket. As an outside salesman 100% dependent on performance to survive I see red every time I pass a line of fat white guys with professionally made signs demeaning their employer, knowing that in a day or two they'll be back at work with their little raise. Putting in 2.5 hours of actual work in an 8.o hour day with their hour lunch and three mandatory breaks. **** unions.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 10:13:53 PM »
and the truly outrageous part of the whole thing is that this recession would have likely been the end of unions, certainly the UAW, in this country . . . if it wasn't for the fact that the guy in the white house is bought and paid for with union worker's dues.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 05:58:34 PM »
Nothing pisses me off more then a union picket. As an outside salesman 100% dependent on performance to survive I see red every time I pass a line of fat white guys with professionally made signs demeaning their employer, knowing that in a day or two they'll be back at work with their little raise. Putting in 2.5 hours of actual work in an 8.o hour day with their hour lunch and three mandatory breaks. **** unions.
Don't forget about their awesome pensions and benefits. Disgusting.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 06:05:09 PM »

Come on mate, that's just a bit slanderous and presumptuous now, perhaps even racist. 

I mean, HELL... what the **** can be worse than those fat ****ING closet-queer white republicans, who are blowing Johnny for $2 and a line of meth on saturday.  Than sunday arrives and they're kissing their wife at church while bashing everyone else, because they're "better".  I mean really, **** WHITE REPUBLICANS!

Wait, sheesh... that's a bit slanderous, presumptuous, rather racist, and more importantly just impolite.  One can ridicule; but angst, cursing, and such just don't bring your point across well.