Author Topic: Three months tax free?  (Read 11090 times)

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
Re: Three months tax free?
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2010, 06:16:57 AM »
Corporations aren't perfect, they're just more efficient than government.  Corporations answer to their owners.  Government IS "the owner."  

I work in an area where changing government regulations have forced us to spend an additional $2000 every month for absolutely no benefit whatsoever.  Our income is also severely limited by regulation.  If regulations were written with the intent to allow businesses to make a reasonable profit or margin, say maybe 6 - 8 %, while enforcing "best practices," this would be fine.  However, by the time all the different agencies write their regulations, businesses are left trying to - like healthcare - pay their bills with income that covers 67% of the costs of doing business.   Arguing for even more taxes, regulation, and oversight...as liberals do...will cause the inevitable result of complete failure.

I like regulations that prohibit practices.  I don't like regulations that dictate how something is done.  If something is determined to be too dangerous simply ban it, don't look for a way to make it safe. 

For instance I like regulations that ban certain things being used in building materials.  I don't like regulations that determine how something has to be manufactured.

I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2010, 06:18:49 AM »
Being an auditor for two large corporations I've seen some entities foolishly spend money as well, mostly on executive perks while the company was facing major problems, caused by said executives.

But unlike the government they do not extract their revenues from people courts and cops.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2010, 06:57:12 AM »
But unlike the government they do not extract their revenues from people courts and cops.

No they send lobbyist to DC to ask DC to do that for them.
I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2010, 07:35:07 AM »
Rome, Great Britain, and the US

Infrastructure that facilitates trade and spending on forces to protect said trade routes.

That is how we and the other two spent our way into prosperity.

And it was done quite a long time ago, by, as I pointed out, by private industry and not by government entities--not in modern times, in any case, or not successfully in modern times. Are you familiar, for example, with the history of the first American transcontinental railroads? Which, I might add, are completely irrelevant now?

Of course infrastructure facilitates trade--and it's private industry that is responsible for infrastructure buildout in the most prosperous modern nations. That includes roads.

But once the bridges, tunnels, railroads, and canals are built--again, by PRIVATE INDUSTRY, not by governments--that's it. They add no more to economic growth beyond that facilitation. You can't just keep building bridges, tunnels, high-speed rails, and the lot and expect to have a vibrant economy. Bridges to where? Bridges to nowhere? How many bridges are needed to ford a river for any given economic region?

This argument is a sideshow. As I said, no one disputes that you need a stable political situation for private industry to do well. But that's all. Spending directly by done by government, throwing money at banks and businesses, especially when done by the most central government of any nation, is Keynesian crap and it fails miserably, and that's the spending we're talking about. The money needs to simply be left in those businesses hands to start with and THEN we will have prosperity.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 07:39:43 AM by Godot showed up »

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2010, 07:39:09 AM »
And it was done quite a long time ago, by, as I pointed out, by private industry and not by government entities--not in modern times, in any case, or not successfully in modern times. Are you familiar, for example, with the history of the first American transcontinental railroads? Which, I might add, are completely irrelevant now?

Of course infrastructure facilitates trade--and it's private industry that is responsible for infrastructure buildout in the most prosperous modern nations. That includes roads.

But once the bridges, tunnels, railroads, and canals are built--again, by PRIVATE INDUSTRY, not by governments--that's it. They add no more to economic growth beyond that facilitation. You can't just keep building bridges, tunnels, high-speed rails, and the lot and expect to have a vibrant economy. Bridges to where? Bridges to nowhere? How many bridges are needed to ford a river for any given economic region?

This argument is a dieshow. As I said, no one disputes that you need a stable political situation for private industry to do well. But that's all. Spending directly by done by government, especially the most central government of any nation, is Keynesian crap and it fails miserably, and that's the spending we're talking about.

Roman Roads, British Navy, and the Interstate Highway system was built by a private entity.  News to me.

I guess the army that sacked carthage was managed by the haliburton of the day.  

The hoover damn sucks also.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2010, 07:42:54 AM »
Rome, Carthage--Could you possibly stay within this millennium?

I guess it IS news to you. Highway building is awarded to private contractors.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2010, 07:46:10 AM »
Rome, Carthage--Could you possibly stay within this millennium?

I guess it IS news to you. Highway building is awarded to private contractors.

Silly me I thought the Feds gave the states money to build it.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2010, 08:07:27 AM »

No, not silly you. Money which, of course, came from the taxpayers, and thus had its origin, as all treasury funds do, in private industry.

But the states built nothing, and the federal government built nothing. They awarded contracts to private vendors. Infrastructure such as roads are a rare--extremely rare, rare as hen's teeth-- example of where some central planning is helpful, because roads by their nature require an interconnected webwork structure, and too many contractors planning the overall structure of such an edifice would result in chaos. I notice no one is proposing ANY other area EXCEPT infrastructure where government intervention in the business of business yields a positive end-result.

But--and let's be crystal here--the actual building is accomplished by private contractors.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2010, 08:13:23 AM »
I like regulations that prohibit practices.  I don't like regulations that dictate how something is done.  If something is determined to be too dangerous simply ban it, don't look for a way to make it safe. 

Contradict yourself much?  You claim you don't like regs that dictate how things get done and in the next breath say you're all for just such a practice.

For instance I like regulations that ban certain things being used in building materials.  I don't like regulations that determine how something has to be manufactured.

Again...you are for something before you're against it.  Senator Kerry is that you?  You're arguing two sides of the same damn coin.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2010, 08:15:18 AM »

The Feds have their own highway crews?

:whatever:

Seriously...are you really that obtuse when it comes to how things get build in this country?

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2010, 10:43:27 AM »
GE has settled quite a few fraud cases with the government.  Lets stop pretending either group is more honest than the other.

You are the one that picked GE as a shinning example. These crooks have also been implicated in selling banned military parts to Iran.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2010, 08:49:25 PM »
The Feds have their own highway crews?

:whatever:

Seriously...are you really that obtuse when it comes to how things get build in this country?

I live near one of the first highway projects in the nation.  It was built by PA.  You call it I76 right now.

The feds gave the states 90% of the money to build the interstate system and they funded 10% of their own.  Ike was a budget hawk like no other and insisted on a gas tax to fund the 90% that built the highway.

Ike is another guy  :usflag:

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2010, 03:22:39 AM »
I live near one of the first highway projects in the nation.  It was built by PA.  You call it I76 right now.

Good for you.

The feds gave the states 90% of the money to build the interstate system and they funded 10% of their own.  Ike was a budget hawk like no other and insisted on a gas tax to fund the 90% that built the highway.

Actually the legislation that started this was began under FDR.  It just happened to finally get done when Ike was in office.

Condiering all of the taxes that were eimplemented to start this program I'd hardly call him a "budget hawk."

Not to mention he refused to cut taxes...led the country through three recessions and in the grand fashion of his war time boss...oversaw the largest public works program in the nation up to that time.

Yeah I can see more and more why you Libs choose Ike as one of your favorite Republicans.

Ike is another guy  :usflag:

The only reason you Libs like Ike is because you enjoy mis using a certain quote of his from his goodbye address.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2010, 03:44:14 AM »
I think I can like Ike for more than a farewell address. 

There was also that small thing of being part of the greatest group of men the country ever assembled to lead the nation to beat Fascism.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2010, 08:40:49 AM »
Isn't it great how the feds created Microsoft, Kraft, General Electric, Ford, Exxon-Mobil, Apple, J Walter Thompson, Wal-Mart, JP MorganChase, Procter & Gamble, Pfizer, Dow Chemical, and all the other great success stories of American business? Gosh, where would they be without the great and wonderful federal government? Thank goodness the federal government spent the money to found all the companies on the Fortune 500.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2010, 09:15:18 AM »
Isn't it great how the feds created Microsoft, Kraft, General Electric, Ford, Exxon-Mobil, Apple, J Walter Thompson, Wal-Mart, JP MorganChase, Procter & Gamble, Pfizer, Dow Chemical, and all the other great success stories of American business? Gosh, where would they be without the great and wonderful federal government? Thank goodness the federal government spent the money to found all the companies on the Fortune 500.

The problem with a company generally starts to happen, after the men who founded it die or leave.

I have no problem with capitalism.  I have an extreme problem with the corporate structure. 

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2010, 01:10:09 PM »
The problem with a company generally starts to happen, after the men who founded it die or leave.

I have no problem with capitalism.  I have an extreme problem with the corporate structure. 

That makes as much sense as saying I like football players...I just hate the sport of football.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2010, 02:31:33 PM »

I sense a bitter or fired employee or one who has gotten passed over for a promotion.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2010, 06:15:42 PM »
I sense a bitter or fired employee or one who has gotten passed over for a promotion.

I actually got promoted a great deal at Lincoln, just didn't want to live in Indiana.

Possibly I might just be a jackass.  

There are good companies, there are bad companies.  I've seen good companies go bad with a change in management and vice versa.

Things move faster than they did 20 years ago.  

My dad went from working for what was thought as one of the most awesome companies in the world to working for a dog overnight at Lucent.

I was hired by Arthur Andersen in 2001.  I went from having the best job offer in my class, to everyone feeling sorry for me...in one night.

A boss I worked for went from awesome to fired from the firm for feeding information to his son in law to sue hospitals he audited.

Maybe I'm just unlucky lol.

I'm becoming accustomed to not rely on anything.  Trusting the management seems to be a bad idea.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 06:21:08 PM by Allentownjake »

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2010, 08:55:33 PM »
I actually got promoted a great deal at Lincoln, just didn't want to live in Indiana.

There are good companies, there are bad companies.  I've seen good companies go bad with a change in management and vice versa.

Things move faster than they did 20 years ago. 

My dad went from working for what was thought as one of the most awesome companies in the world to working for a dog overnight at Lucent.

I was hired by Arthur Andersen in 2001.  I went from having the best job offer in my class, to everyone feeling sorry for me...in one night.

A boss I worked for went from awesome to fired from the firm for feeding information to his son in law to sue hospitals he audited.

Maybe I'm just unlucky lol.

I'm becoming accustomed to not rely on anything.  Trusting the management seems to be a bad idea.

Gets my vote! I've been here a while and at CU before the meltdown, you haven't exactly warmed our hearts!

Especially given the fact you admit you were one of the accountants from a firm that certainly contributed to many of the middle class losing their butts on their retirement, due to, how shall I say it, "accounting manipulation"?!

Whether you worked on their accounts or not, makes me wonder how many others "your" company screwed by not reporting the facts!

And you have the nerve to call Lucent out?

Gimme a frikkin' break!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2010, 08:59:59 PM »
I think I can like Ike for more than a farewell address. 

There was also that small thing of being part of the greatest group of men the country ever assembled to lead the nation to beat Fascism.

Ya wanna 'splain why you are a DemonRat then? Every single man I have known from WWII was a stout conservative! And I've known plenty!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2010, 09:01:47 PM »
Hired never worked a day there, in the Philadelphia office.

Like I said, I went from everyone thinking I was awesome to everyone feeling sorry for me in about a day.

I never performed an hour of work.  Funny feeling.

Oh and I got tainted I was hired by them in other interviews for a while, again never did a day a work for them just accepted a job offer after graduation.

Interesting when they imploded re-interviewing.  Nothing is guaranteed in life, that was just a weird few months.

Of course as bad as things were in 2001, half my classmates in accounting and myself were hired before December.  You had a 3.0, you had a job.

Times have changed a little.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2010, 09:04:05 PM »
Ya wanna 'splain why you are a DemonRat then? Every single man I have known from WWII was a stout conservative! And I've known plenty!

Bush II left a bad taste in my mouth.  I come from a GOP family. 

There are things I support that are democratic.  I'm not going to go on the social issues.  Frankly they aren't important for a while.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2010, 09:07:51 PM »
A friend of mine graduated with 3 of his friends from college, all in about the same class rank. All 4 interviewed and were offered jobs at the same firm in NY. My buddy decided to follow in his dad's footsteps and opened a small pizza place instead. His 3 friends took the jobs, and thought they were on top of the world. The building they worked together in for 11 months has not been rebuilt yet.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2010, 09:15:17 PM »
A friend of mine graduated with 3 of his friends from college, all in about the same class rank. All 4 interviewed and were offered jobs at the same firm in NY. My buddy decided to follow in his dad's footsteps and opened a small pizza place instead. His 3 friends took the jobs, and thought they were on top of the world. The building they worked together in for 11 months has not been rebuilt yet.

Yeah, I took a tour there in 2000 for class. The first time I was in a sky scraper in Philly after 9-11 I did a few looks at the windows.

Remember humvees with machine guns on the Philly bridges.  Freaked my co-workers in Indiana out when we did an audit in 2003.  After 6 months I was so used to it I didn't even notice till they were freaking out.  Kind of odd how you can grow to expect things.

There are no guarantees in life.

How does your buddy feel about the fact nothing has been built there yet.