Author Topic: Ok, a dumb question: Why are Dems boycotting Michigan?  (Read 1555 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Ok, a dumb question: Why are Dems boycotting Michigan?
« on: January 15, 2008, 02:47:59 PM »

panader0  (1000+ posts)      Mon Jan-14-08 05:57 PM
Original message
Ok, a dumb question: Why are Dems boycotting Michigan?
 I heard that on MSNBC and I've gotta admit I didn't know it. Does it have something to do with the new primary schedules?

knitter4democracy  (1000+ posts)      Mon Jan-14-08 08:23 PM
Response to Reply #1
23. It's a touch more complicated, but that's about it.
 Yeah, strong union state, long history of going blue--it's all up in smoke. Heck, I know liberals here who know more about Paul and McCain than about the Dems, and I seriously doubt we'll go Dem in the GE.

The party higher-ups wanted Michigan to get a boost. Our economy's tanking, we're losing population, and our people are really hurting badly, so it was probably more about getting all that campaign money here and getting our economic issues out there. When NH and IA looked like they were moving their times up, against the contract everyone agreed to, FL and MI beat them to the punch and moved their times up. NH ended up not moving theirs, so we were left hanging in the wind. Instead of coming up with a decent compromise like the GOP did, we were left outside in the cold.

Honestly, Hubby and I aren't giving a dime to the Dems at all this year over this. Not one thin red cent of our money. Nobody gives a crap about the Dems in this state, but they call up wanting our money? Hell no!
heraldsqure  (813 posts)      Mon Jan-14-08 06:32 PM
Response to Original message
11. The DNC wanted to give blacks (SC) and hispanics (NV)
 an opportunity to impact the outcome. Dean lived up to that promise. The state parties are members of the national party, they lost on the idea of moving their contests forward and refused to abide by the majority decision. 

fenriswolf (1000+ posts)      Mon Jan-14-08 06:54 PM
Response to Reply #11
14. or it could be a DNC ploy
 to disenfranchise dem voters in the primary who would vote for the more progressive candidates.

Just saying it could happen, I'm sure the people at the top levels of the DNC are just as suceptable to corruption as everyone else. 
link

Despondency and bile reigns...

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Ok, a dumb question: Why are Dems boycotting Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 06:45:34 PM »
Oh my.

The primitives are behind the times again.

Why the Democrats are boycotting Michigan has been news for.....months and months and months.

This reminds me of when the new attorney general was first nominated.

The primitives never paid any attention to that Charles Schumer (D-New York) was already on board, and Dianne Feinstein (D-California) was legging it up into the ship.

So it was already a "done deal," circa August or September of last year.

But then when the vote for confirmation was held some months later, the primitives were surprised and outraged; this stuff was all new to them.

Behind the times, the primitives, as usual.
apres moi, le deluge