Author Topic: Stories & Opinions Worth Knowing but Maybe Not Quite Threadworthy 8/5  (Read 620 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
'Ticket to Freedom': Why Trump Wants a Prolonged Trial

Donald Trump faces almost 100 charges in three separate trials, with a fourth likely on the way in Georgia. We all know this is politically motivated and that the cases, especially the one filed by the Manhattan district attorney, are, to quote the late Antonin Scalia, pure applesauce. Trump can’t ignore it, however. He must show up for the arraignments and prepare his legal defense.

This fiasco brings us to the 2024 election, where a potentially four-time indicted candidate could be an anchor on the entire GOP field. It’s not a good situation, though the latest development in the Biden bribery scandal has changed things. We knew Joe and Hunter were dealing in sleazy government access deals. However, we have the FBI’s FD-1023 report, the testimony of ex-Hunter associate Devon Archer, and the slew of suspicious activity reports from six banks, which provides massive movement on the story, which now has some coverage from the establishment press. It would have remained in the news if Trump wasn’t indicted a third time, a peculiar occurrence.

But too much has been revealed that could be incriminating for the Biden family. As Joe tries to manage that crisis on the home front, Trump must ensure that his trials are lengthy, which Axios suggests his “ticket to freedom:”

Now facing 78 criminal charges in three jurisdictions — with the possibility of a fourth indictment in Georgia by the end of the month — Trump's quest to regain the White House has become existential.

Delaying his trials and winning the 2024 election, which is expected to be a tight race with President Biden, could be Trump's best bet for avoiding prison time.

The Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel has long held that sitting presidents cannot be tried and imprisoned, and Trump has already teased plans to dismantle DOJ independence or pardon himself if elected.

Driving the news: At today's hearing, Trump's lawyer John Lauro called it "absurd" to suggest the case could go to trial within the 70-day timeframe laid out in the Speedy Trial Act — citing the "massive amount of information" prosecutors are expected to turn over in the discovery process.

[…]

The big picture: This tactic isn't exclusive to the Jan. 6 case. In Trump's classified documents trial, his lawyers have made clear they plan to file a flurry of motions to gum up the "rocket docket" that Southern Florida's speedy federal court is known for.

[…]

The bottom line: While Trump remains the runaway favorite for the GOP nomination, nearly half of Republicans say they would not vote for him if he were convicted of a felony, according to a new Reuters/Ipsos poll.

I’m not so sure that’s accurate. When the cards are down, the base comes home, and it’s too early to poll that scenario. But I can see why Trump would want to avoid a gambling situation like this, so keeping the trials ongoing through 2024 would ensure this would never happen. If Trump wins, he could pardon himself. But the fact that he’s indicted and victimized by the Justice Department could be eternal fuel for the GOP pyre, and the base is livid over this legal circus.

Trump hasn’t won the nomination yet, and Lord knows what other developments on this drama could drop; the same goes for the Biden bribery allegations. Stay tuned.

First of all, Vespa, don't count DeSantis out of the running. The only thing that keeps DJT going right now is the drama that always seems to follow him. And maybe it's the drama that is needed to push him past all these BS indictments and ridiculous charges and back into the WH - but for one, I'm rather sick of the drama. Can we not get past all this crap and just get to the business of first, impeaching SharterJoe and his criminal thugs (Garland, Mayorkas, Granholm, Blinken, et. al.), and then dismantling all the harm that SharterJoe (having been the eternal "puppet-on-a-string" with Barry being the puppetmaster) has done?

If you want drama, go watch an f'n movie, dammit.  :killemall:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Stories & Opinions Worth Knowing but Maybe Not Quite Threadworthy 8/5
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 08:02:31 AM »
Didn't see a link, but think this is what you're referring to having read the same thing:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2023/08/04/why-trump-wants-a-prolonged-trial-n2626632
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 09:29:53 AM »
Didn't see a link, but think this is what you're referring to having read the same thing:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2023/08/04/why-trump-wants-a-prolonged-trial-n2626632

Thanks. Coffee hadn't kicked in yet.  :cheersmate:

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 09:30:47 AM »
IMO, Smith's and Bragg's malicious prosecutions and that of the female DA in Georgia put themselves in a lose-lose situation. A speedy trial would mean the shredding of their cases will be nightly news through out the whole 2024 Presidential campaign. A delayed trial would mean their partisan prosecutions will be part of Trump's speechifying throughout the 2024 Presidential campaign. A delayed trial would also mean that if Trump is elected, his people will be on the inside, able to find and expose prosecutorial abuses.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 09:31:34 AM »
Thanks. Coffee hadn't kicked in yet.  :cheersmate:

Under-caffeinated posting is a problem for me as well, :-) .
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2023, 09:41:09 AM »
There is no question that Trump's base is further galvanized with every indictment and every charge/allegation. But I am not convinced that it's enough to assure independent voters (like me) that with every ounce of baggage that comes with DJT, and therefore that much more to schlep around, is enough to get him over the top. Without independent voters, Trump and SharterJoe are both doomed.

And we haven't even bothered talking about the inevitable election fraud that will most definitely occur. The Dems will stop at nothing -- including the law -- to stay in power.

Drama. It's all drama. I'm sick of it, though the pundits clearly love all the content to postulate about.

As to a delayed trial, it's pretty clear to me that the Dems want to hamstring Trump such that he would not be able to effectively campaign. He'd be stuck in a courtroom (conceivably) and otherwise forced to deal with the day-by-day reports coming out of same. It dilutes his message. So I see the Dems' tactic as being sound -- and combined with the independent voter being turned off with yet more drama, along with the voter fraud that's sure to happen, I just don't think Trump is electable.

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 11:48:12 AM »
The search is on, as to who could replace him. I can't think of any existing politicon who could. Any thoughts, people we should be looking at.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2023, 12:09:11 PM »
The search is on, as to who could replace him. I can't think of any existing politicon who could. Any thoughts, people we should be looking at.

True. Regardless of the indictments, Trump won't be around forever.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2023, 12:41:28 PM »
Both parties, possibly the Ds more than the Rs, face the reality that many of their leaders are geriatric and will soon need to be replaced. I think the Rs have quite a few good people in the ranks; maybe the Ds do too, but then there's Kammie, AOC, Schifftyroo, and Swillwell. I'm not impressed with Noisome as a leader, but what his image is outside of CA and conservative circles, I can't guess.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2023, 10:25:11 PM »
The only thing that keeps DJT going right now is the drama that always seems to follow him. And maybe it's the drama that is needed to push him past all these BS indictments and ridiculous charges and back into the WH - but for one, I'm rather sick of the drama.

What?  Say 'fallout' instead of 'drama'.  Otherwise, you sound conquered.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2023, 06:58:50 AM »

What?  Say 'fallout' instead of 'drama'.  Otherwise, you sound conquered.

Conquered? Not at all. I simply think there's a better candidate than the baggage-laden DJT. Should he win the nomination, he gets my vote -- but in the primary, nope.

And I stick by my word "drama." Over the past few years, there is no shortage of that in politics. Some of it is good and proper, but self-inflicted wounds such as DJT has given himself have led to, not surprisingly, more drama.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2023, 08:37:35 AM »
I think Desantis would be a good candidate,but we need him here in Florida. I don’t think he would be as good as Trump on international affairs.
I think that’s where Trump shines as well as looking out for the working class.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2023, 12:03:21 PM »
Any thoughts on Kari Lake. Im trying to get beyond to top 3 MSM headliners.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2023, 02:05:49 PM »
Any thoughts on Kari Lake. Im trying to get beyond to top 3 MSM headliners.

I don’t think she’s ready yet,she just needs some more experience.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!