Author Topic: Stories & Opinions Worth Knowing but Maybe Not Quite Threadworthy 7/25  (Read 795 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Georgia woman, who was repeatedly punched in the face while trying to stop shoplifters, is fired from Lowe's for violating store's policy

https://www.theblaze.com/news/georgia-woman-fired-lowes-shoplifters

A Lowe’s employee was fired from her job for attempting to stop shoplifters trying to steal over $2,000 worth of merchandise in Georgia.

Donna Hansbrough previously worked at the Lowe's store in Rincon, Georgia. On June 25, the then-employee attempted to thwart a shoplifting attempt.

Three suspects reportedly loaded up a shopping cart with merchandise and exited the home improvement store with the stolen items.

The Rincon Police Department said in a statement, "Lowe's employee, Donna Hansbrough attempted to stop one of the subjects by grabbing the shopping cart. Hansbrough did not at any time make contact with any person. The cart that Donna grabbed was in the possession of subject Takyah Berry. After Donna grabbed the cart, Berry struck Donna in the face three times causing Donna’s right eye to swell and blacken."

The Rincon Police Department identified the other two shoplifting suspects as Jarmar Lawton and Joseph Berry – the uncle of Takyah Berry.

Police said they had arrested Lawton, but are still searching for the uncle and niece suspects.

Authorities said the trio stole merchandise worth $2,101.

Police said Lowe's fired Hansbrough for attempting to stop the theft, which violated the company's policy against intervening with shoplifters. Hansbrough had worked for Lowe's for 13 years.

Hansborough told the Effingham Herald, "They say that if you see somebody stealing something out the door, not to pursue, not to go out. I lost it. I grabbed the cart. I don't actually remember going out but I did. And I grabbed the cart that had the stolen items in (it)."

"I just got tired of seeing things get out the door. I just … I lost it," she added. "I basically lost all the training. Everything they tell you to do, I just … I just lost it. I didn’t expect to get terminated. Maybe a reprimand or a suspension."

Hansborough doesn't expect to get her old job back and is looking for new employment.

A GoFundMe campaign was launched to "directly help Ms. Donna with any bills while she attempts to find new employment after being fired by Lowe’s for something she clearly had no control over."

At the time of publication, the crowdfunding campaign had raised nearly $13,000.

The Rincon Police Department urged anyone with information on the shoplifting case to call 912-826-5200.

Idle musings - Thank God there are no Twitter Tweeties within this piece. One of the nice things about Beck's work, for the most part. Second, and more important - when the lawyers create policies that allegedly protect the company against damages caused by employees who express outrage and take matters into their own hands when they see outright thievery by scum like these three hoodlums, we are lost. The lawyers win and those people who resist thuggery wind up on the shit end of the stick. Third, it's good when a Go Fund Me campaign helps out a person who was only trying to seize property that didn't belong to the thugs who stole it.

This is enough for me to quit shopping at Lowe's, though I suspect most big box stores have similar bullshit "policies" that penalize good people and protect criminals.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline SVPete

Christians Arrested For Outdoor Church Service During COVID-19 Win $300,000 Lawsuit

https://www.oann.com/newsroom/christians-arrested-for-outdoor-church-service-during-covid-19-win-300000-lawsuit/

The city of Moscow, Idaho, announced this week that it would settle the lawsuit with Gabriel Rench and Sean and Rachel Bohnet, who filed a case against city officials in March 2021.

They asserted that their rights under the First and Fourth Amendments were violated when they were arrested at an outdoor “psalm sing” led by church leaders in September 2020.

Moscow, Idaho, is a community of around 25,000 inhabitants located approximately 80 miles south of Spokane, Washington. The church named in the lawsuit, Christ Church, is a small congregation of about 1,000 members that is part of the Communion of Reformed Evangelical Churches.
U.S. District Court Judge Morrison C. England, Jr., noted that the “plaintiffs should never have been arrested in the first place,

“Somehow, every single city official involved overlooked the exclusionary language [of constitutionally protected behavior] in the Ordinance,” the judge wrote.

The City of Moscow got off too cheap. No mention whether any city officials had to take barista or fryolator training to prepare for their involuntary career change.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
...The City TAXPAYERS of Moscow got off too cheap. No mention whether any city officials had to take barista or fryolator training to prepare for their involuntary career change.

Fixt 'er for ya, my friend. :cheers1:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Old n Grumpy

Fixt 'er for ya, my friend. :cheers1:

That’s the problem with incidents like this. The taxpayers foot the bill and the politicians walk away unpunished. :thatsright:

There needs to be laws that make politicians responsible and accountable for their actions including,fines,jail time and removal from office.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant

That’s the problem with incidents like this. The taxpayers foot the bill and the politicians walk away unpunished. :thatsright:

There needs to be laws that make politicians responsible and accountable for their actions including,fines,jail time and removal from office.

No argument from me on this. :cheers1:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline ADsOutburst

Georgia woman, who was repeatedly punched in the face while trying to stop shoplifters, is fired from Lowe's for violating store's policy

https://www.theblaze.com/news/georgia-woman-fired-lowes-shoplifters

Idle musings - Thank God there are no Twitter Tweeties within this piece. One of the nice things about Beck's work, for the most part. Second, and more important - when the lawyers create policies that allegedly protect the company against damages caused by employees who express outrage and take matters into their own hands when they see outright thievery by scum like these three hoodlums, we are lost. The lawyers win and those people who resist thuggery wind up on the shit end of the stick. Third, it's good when a Go Fund Me campaign helps out a person who was only trying to seize property that didn't belong to the thugs who stole it.

This is enough for me to quit shopping at Lowe's, though I suspect most big box stores have similar bullshit "policies" that penalize good people and protect criminals.

That sucks, but it's the policy where I work too. They say they prefer to gather evidence against suspected repeat shoplifters, and then report them.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
That sucks, but it's the policy where I work too. They say they prefer to gather evidence against suspected repeat shoplifters, and then report them.

The problem with the "policy" is, the cops don't investigate. Especially in places like SF, Portland, Detroit, and other blue shithole locations.

It's right versus wrong.

Period.   :nunchuck:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
First of all, it looks like I have a hard time reading my tiny computer screen bottom-right corner that shows the date. I started this thread yesterday, a day early.  :thatsright:

Anyway, for the headline:

IRS to end "most" unannounced home visits

https://hotair.com//jazz-shaw/2023/07/25/irs-to-end-most-unannounced-home-visits-n566964?bcid=d519b945f8a32ba161895b1c7231c16c5fa3cd48222b27fc1e013476354174f9

Sometimes it’s the government that gets caught with its hand in the cookie jar and in very rare cases, they might mend their ways. Perhaps that’s what happened earlier this year when journalist Matt Taibbi appeared in front of the House Judiciary Committee to testify about the Twitter Files. Unbeknownst to Taibbi, while he was being sworn in, an IRS agent showed up at his home and left an ominous note on his door. The move clearly seemed to suggest an attempt to intimidate Taibbi, and Jim Jordan subsequently sent a letter to the IRS and Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen demanding an explanation. It sounds like Jordan’s message was received and acted upon. Now the IRS is announcing that they will end “most” unannounced home visits by agents except in “unique” cases. (National Review)

The IRS announced Monday that it will “end most” unannounced home visits in a move that “reverses a decades-long practice.”

“We are taking a fresh look at how the I.R.S. operates to better serve taxpayers and the nation, and making this change is a common-sense step,” IRS commissioner Daniel Werfel, said in an official statement. “Changing this longstanding procedure will increase confidence in our tax administration work and improve overall safety for taxpayers and I.R.S. employees.”

The agency noted that such visits would continue in only “unique” cases and that agents are generally dispatched in situations usually involving over $100,000 in outstanding tax bills.

Taibbi went on to tell National Review this week that he had been contacted by other people who had even worse experiences than he did. He surmised that the IRS has been used as a tool to “investigate a range of politically irritating people.”

That’s putting it mildly. Taibbi was only one of a number of people who were dragged into contested political issues and subsequently learned that they had come under closer scrutiny by the IRS. But that scrutiny appears to be highly selective. According to one study released by Syracuse University in January, the IRS audits a surprisingly small number of millionaires. But the ones that do get audited seem to be donors to conservative causes on a mysteriously frequent basis. Prominent Democratic donors don’t appear to attract the tax man’s attention nearly as often.

At the other end of the economic spectrum, the largest percentage of IRS audits are launched against households earning less than $25,000 annually. And it’s not as if this bias is a recent development. You may recall back in 2017 when Lois Lerner was forced to apologize after years of the agency’s pattern of “aggressively” scrutinizing Tea Party organizations and other conservative groups, frequently denying them exemptions and other routine requests. Meanwhile, liberal groups were investigated far less often.

And if all of that wasn’t troubling enough, a separate report earlier this year found that Black families were five times as likely to have their federal tax returns audited than white or Asian families. How does that happen in a way that seems so wildly beyond random statistical chance? The agency blames it on “a flawed AI algorithm.” They also claim that there is no direct correlation to race, but it’s simply a matter of Black families “tending to make the types of mistakes” that the IRS focuses on, particularly in terms of the number of dependents being claimed.

Even if all of that is true, there is no AI algorithm to explain away conservative versus liberal bias. This apparent weaponization of the IRS never seems to go in the other direction, however. Someone needs to ask the IRS commissioner if anyone ever bothered to stop by Hunter Biden’s house between 2015 and 2018 when he failed to pay taxes on millions of dollars in undisclosed foreign income. If they had, perhaps they wouldn’t have “accidentally” allowed the charges against him to lapse due to the statute of limitations. But that would have made for some inconvenient headlines, so I’m sure they never got around to it.

OK, for those of you who believe this BS, please raise your hand.

Nobody. Just what I thought. CC'ers recognize BS when it rears its head and starts stinkin' up the joint.

The government, like leftist democrats, lies. They lie all the time.

Offline SVPete

Leftist prosecutor booted from office gets $210,000 job at UC Berkeley

https://www.thecollegefix.com/leftist-prosecutor-booted-from-office-gets-210000-job-at-uc-berkeley/

A former leftist prosecutor in San Francisco who lost a recall election as district attorney due to voter dissatisfaction with his soft-on-crime policies is going to be paid $210,000 per year in his new job at the University of California Berkeley.

The College Fix obtained Chesa Boudin’s contract through a public records request. It is about $90,000 less than he made at his job in San Francisco.

The contract for his new role as executive director of the Criminal Justice Center at the university’s law school also includes a commitment by UC Berkeley of $400,000 in funds for the next three years. The goal is that the center becomes “financially self-sufficient” at the end of that time.

Progs protecting/supporting their own.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Old n Grumpy

I wonder how many times irs agents showed up at Al sharptons door or hunter bidens?
Most likely less than none.

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

Offline ADsOutburst

https://www.thecollegefix.com/leftist-prosecutor-booted-from-office-gets-210000-job-at-uc-berkeley/

Being good at their job isn't the point to them.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired

One has to wonder just how insane these turds have to be before someone - anyone - recognizes the extent of the stench that said turd brings to the equation.

Has California always been that far gone, insane to Crazytown? Scratch that -- I have always maintained there are pockets of sanity in California, but as we have seen over and over again, those pockets are pretty damned small.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Hunter Biden’s Art Patron Visited White House Over a Dozen Times
https://freebeacon.com/biden-administration/hunter-bidens-art-patron-visited-white-house-over-a-dozen-times/

The California real estate investor who purchased Hunter Biden’s art has landed more than a dozen private White House visits, including a one-on-one meeting with one of President Joe Biden’s most senior advisers.

Elizabeth Hirsh Naftali has visited the White House at least 13 times since December 2021, according to a Washington Free Beacon review of White House visitor logs. Naftali attended several large events at the White House but has also had several more intimate visits. She met White House senior adviser Neera Tanden on March 21, the visitor logs show.

Naftali was identified Monday as a buyer of Hunter Biden’s art work, a revelation that raises significant ethics concerns for the White House. President Joe Biden appointed Naftali, who owns a commercial real estate firm in Los Angeles, to the prestigious Commission for the Preservation of America’s Heritage Abroad just nine months after the younger Biden’s first art show. Naftali has donated more than $13,000 to the Biden campaign and $36,500 to the Democratic National Committee.

The White House promised that they would install "reasonable safeguards" around Hunter Biden’s art show, and claimed all buyers would remain anonymous. But Naftali’s visits could cast doubt on those claims, particularly as Business Insider reported that Hunter Biden knew the identity of at least one buyer: his close friend and adviser Kevin Morris, who has loaned the embattled first son millions of dollars.

How to buy your way into the White House.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 09:16:24 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
EV Suspected In Fire Of Massive Cargo Ship Carrying 3,000 Cars
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/ev-suspected-fire-massive-cargo-ship-carrying-3000-cars

fire on a ship carrying 3,000 cars off the Netherlands coast is suspected of being started by an electric vehicle and killed one sailor, "could burn for days," the Dutch Coast Guard told AFP News.

The fire broke out late Tuesday night on board the roll-on, roll-off ship the Fremantle Highway off the northern Dutch coast. "The fire could still burn for days," stated a coastguard official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"The ship is being cooled to keep it stable.

"Only the side of the ship is being sprayed, not the deck," said the official.

Fremantle Highway is carrying 3,000 vehicles. Of those vehicles, 25 are EVs, a coastguard official told the NOS public broadcaster, adding there is suspicion that one of those 25 EVs started the blaze.

Fire broke out inside the Fremantle Highway. The shop had 3,000 vehicles and 25 are EVs. One of the EVs started the fire.

Rescue ships and helicopters have evacuated 23 crew members. However, one individual lost their life due to the fire.

Should the vessel sink, "it would be a disaster of the highest order," the daily paper De Telegraaf said.

Bloomberg ship tracking data shows Fremantle Highway left the German port of Bremen on Tuesday. The vessel appears to have deviated off course around 5 pm local time Tuesday, an indication of possibly when the fire broke out. 
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline SVPete

If the EVs are on fire, they'll keep burning until the lithium is all "consumed" or they melt through the ship's hull and fall into the sea.

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
If the EVs are on fire, they'll keep burning until the lithium is all "consumed" or they melt through the ship's hull and fall into the sea.

Unless the ship's hold(s) have fire supression systems set up to fight Class D (Metal) fires. I know; not bloody likely, but...
-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Old n Grumpy

More than likely the fire will spread to all the cars. They are loaded with flammable materials.