Author Topic: 2011 Canadian Election  (Read 2348 times)

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
Re: 2011 Canadian Election
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 08:57:25 AM »
Compaq, what is your own take on the political direction of the NDP?  Where do you think they fall out on the spectrum?

I like the NDP with the exception of a few things, I think that Jack Layton is a good person to lead the party and the NDP does a good job most of the time when choosing candidates. The know what many Canadians want, they just don't realise money doesn't grow on trees.

This says it better then I could...

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 10:13:55 AM »
Iggy Quit. Two leaders gone in a single election.

Ignatieff quits as Liberal leader

Michael Ignatieff is quitting as the Liberal leader after his party took an electoral drubbing on Monday night.

The Liberals were reduced to 34 seats in the House of Commons down from 77 and won only 18.9 per cent of the popular vote.

Not only did Ignatieff lead the party to its worst showing in its history, but he also lost his Toronto-area seat in Etobicoke-Lakeshore.

Ignatieff told a news conference that he will "not remain leader of party" and "will arrange succession in due time."

<SNIP>

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/story/2011/05/03/cv-election-ignatieff-future.html
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:14:54 AM by Chris »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 10:18:14 AM »
Iggy Quit. Two leaders gone in a single election.

You think the election results just MIGHT be propagated by a singular disgust with Canadian voters and liberal/Green/NDP policies?

Sorta like what happened here in Nov '10?

:whistling:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 10:20:02 AM »
You think the election results just MIGHT be propagated by a singular disgust with Canadian voters and liberal/Green/NDP policies?

Sorta like what happened here in Nov '10?

:whistling:

Quite possibly.

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 08:42:18 PM »
Canada's Conservatives score massive election win

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada's Conservatives stormed to a decisive victory in Monday's federal election, winning 54 percent of the seats in Parliament and securing a stable four-year term in power after vowing to focus on the economy.

The Conservatives grabbed 167 seats in Canada's Parliament, well above the 155 they needed to transform their minority government into a majority, according to provisional results. They won about 40 percent of the vote, beating expectations.

The victory, a relief for Canadian financial markets, left support for the separatist Bloc Quebecois in tatters and the party's leader without a seat. Bloc Quebecois advocates independence for the province of Quebec.

The Liberals, who have ruled Canada for more years than any other party, were reduced to a dismal third place showing with their worst ever seat haul. >>>

"With a Conservative majority, you're essentially assured a fairly business-friendly platform, low taxes, continued investment in energy and potential future energy projects. In terms of investment it's definitely got a bullish bias."

=========================================

This is great news for Canada, if the conservatives in Canada are not of the RINO variety we have here in the States.

:cheersmate:
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2011, 09:01:01 AM »
I like the NDP with the exception of a few things, I think that Jack Layton is a good person to lead the party and the NDP does a good job most of the time when choosing candidates. The know what many Canadians want, they just don't realise money doesn't grow on trees.

This says it better then I could...

Your nation's politics must be all kinda ****ed up if you have the Green Party in the center.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »

Your nation's politics must be are all kinda ****ed up if you have the Green Party in the center.

Fixed it.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 06:56:47 PM »
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 07:54:17 PM »
Fixed it.

:rotf:

That'll earn you a well-deserved h5.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2011, 10:14:48 PM »
:rotf:

That'll earn you a well-deserved h5.

The Lil Buddy kinda grows on ya after a while, eh?  He might be Canadian, and he might (maybe still?) be a liberal, but he is our Canadian liberal.   :-)

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 10:34:44 PM »
The Lil Buddy kinda grows on ya after a while, eh?  He might be Canadian, and he might (maybe still?) be a liberal, but he is our Canadian liberal.   :-)

Yeah, I give him credit for putting up with the abuse -- but I've got a sneaking suspicion that compaqxp is a closet conservative in a truly moonbat batshit crazy part of his country.

He's looking for a HOME, for God's sake and he's found it HERE!

:rotf: :lmao:

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 10:36:25 PM »
Yeah, I give him credit for putting up with the abuse -- but I've got a sneaking suspicion that compaqxp is a closet conservative in a truly moonbat batshit crazy part of his country.

He's looking for a HOME, for God's sake and he's found it HERE!

:rotf: :lmao:

Icksnay on the onservative-cay?  Ain't no reason to out the poor buddy.   :-)

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2011, 11:59:23 AM »
Canada has their own elections?   :???:

I just thought, that's where the runner up in America's election went.   :thatsright:

:-)  JK, great thread! 

Offline Janice

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 09:16:15 AM »
Does anybody remember reading one story about this historical conservative ascendancy in Canada? I mean, in the American MS News Media? The elections in Canada has shocked all of the so-called experts here who poo-pooed this possibility all the way up to the elections. And now? Now that reality has slapped them upside their ivy league indoctrinated noggins, they are mute. Not a sound. Not a word from them. Nothing -- anywhere. Just crickets.

Now what do you suppose this means for the coming elections here? Nothing? Really?? Have you read how that King Stinky is a shoe in? Unbeatable? How conservative have to throw all their principles completely out the window if they are to have any chance of winning? So we MUST nominate another linguine spine "moderate" to have any chance. And this -- this is the advise from the so-called ivy league intelligentsia.

Yup. Americans are predicted to head to the polls in droves to vote for another 4 years of this .... This what? Another 4 years of higher unemployment, 4 more years of higher gas prices, 4 more years of people forced from their homes and higher taxes. Yup. If we like $4 gal gas, we should love $6 gal gas. If we like 9% unemployment, we should love 11 or 12% unemployment ... and more people on the government dole.

Have you listened to their logic? This is essentially what they are trying to get us to believe. Do you think most Americans are going to buy this shit sandwich?

:popcorn:

Offline Janice

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 09:39:44 AM »
What the GOP can learn from Canada’s Conservatives

>>> Canada held an election last Monday and the result was anything but boring. It amounts to something like a revolution in Canadian politics and has lessons, I think, for those of us south of the border.

The headline story is that the Conservative Party of Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who has headed minority governments since 2006, won an absolute majority of seats, 167 of 308, in the House of Commons. It was a result practically no Canadian pundit or psephologist predicted. >>>

But the installation of a majority government by itself is not a political revolution. The biggest changes in Canada were indicated by the devastating defeats of two of the opposition parties.

The Bloc Quebecois was reduced from 50 seats to only four. Formerly it represented most of Canada’s second-largest province. Now it represents a tiny rump. >>>

The third huge development is the humiliating third-place finish of the Liberal party, the pre-eminent party in Canada since its first election in 1867. Liberals headed governments for 70 years in the 20th century and have provided most of Canada’s well-known prime ministers — Wilfrid Laurier, William Lyon Mackenzie King, Lester Pearson, Pierre Elliott Trudeau. >>>

The Conservatives’ triumph offers a couple of lessons that may be relevant to U.S. Republicans. One is that smaller-government policies, far from being political poison, are actually vote winners.

-----------------------------------------------

We are in a war and are (presently) losing. Pawlenty, Romney, Daniels, et al will be a slower pace over the cliff as there can be no reform under (hands across the aisle) moderates. A pox on all houses that bash Palin and Bachman, Cain and West, and others who believe that there is no hope in moderation when the enemy is evil. We can and must turn this war around.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 01:14:56 PM »
Does anybody remember reading one story about this historical conservative ascendancy in Canada? I mean, in the American MS News Media? The elections in Canada has shocked all of the so-called experts here who poo-pooed this possibility all the way up to the elections. And now? Now that reality has slapped them upside their ivy league indoctrinated noggins, they are mute. Not a sound. Not a word from them. Nothing -- anywhere. Just crickets.

Now what do you suppose this means for the coming elections here? Nothing? Really?? Have you read how that King Stinky is a shoe in? Unbeatable? How conservative have to throw all their principles completely out the window if they are to have any chance of winning? So we MUST nominate another linguine spine "moderate" to have any chance. And this -- this is the advise from the so-called ivy league intelligentsia.

Yup. Americans are predicted to head to the polls in droves to vote for another 4 years of this .... This what? Another 4 years of higher unemployment, 4 more years of higher gas prices, 4 more years of people forced from their homes and higher taxes. Yup. If we like $4 gal gas, we should love $6 gal gas. If we like 9% unemployment, we should love 11 or 12% unemployment ... and more people on the government dole.

Have you listened to their logic? This is essentially what they are trying to get us to believe. Do you think most Americans are going to buy this shit sandwich?

:popcorn:

That should be used by whoever wins the nomination everyday until the election