Author Topic: Obama gets takeout lunch from New Orleans top chef  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Obama gets takeout lunch from New Orleans top chef
« on: October 15, 2009, 05:27:31 PM »
Obama gets takeout lunch from New Orleans top chef

During the presidential campaign, Democrat Barack Obama accused George W. Bush of ignoring the pleas for help from the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Katrina, leading a government that "sits on its hands while a major American city drowns." Today he made his first trip to the devastated region since becoming president. Before he even stepped down, locals were already accusing him of not doing enough.

Folks in Mississippi were upset that Obama did not visit them. "I'm greatly disappointed he's not coming to Mississippi," said Tommy Longo, mayor of Waveland, Miss., where few structures were undamaged by the hurricane. "There was no city hit harder than Waveland."

Folks in New Orleans were upset that Obama only spent four hours with them. "A town hall event and a mystery stop? That's it?" the Times-Picayune newspaper editorialized last week.

And the fabled restaurateurs of the French Quarter were kind of upset that the president didn't have time for a proper meal. Something about a town hall meeting and a visit to a school.

MORE

Rookie   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Obama gets takeout lunch from New Orleans top chef
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 01:04:30 PM »
During the ENTIRE Katrina debacle, Mississippi has gone unnoticed. They got back on their feet and carried on, rebuilding their devastated cities. I hate to sound racist, but, the majority of the folks in MS are white and New Orleans are black, many of them sucking off of the Govt tete.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 01:11:38 PM »
During the ENTIRE Katrina debacle, Mississippi has gone unnoticed. They got back on their feet and carried on, rebuilding their devastated cities. I hate to sound racist, but, the majority of the folks in MS are white and New Orleans are black, many of them sucking off of the Govt tete.

Those MS folks are Republicans too....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 06:02:36 PM »

When floods hit the Mid-West, people rally, fill sand bags and rebuild. When disaster hits black communities, they wait around waiting for the gubment to help. It's what they're used to. Welfare, Food Stamps, etc. They're leaches.
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 06:08:34 PM »
When floods hit the Mid-West, people rally, fill sand bags and rebuild. When disaster hits black communities, they wait around waiting for the gubment to help. It's what they're used to. Welfare, Food Stamps, etc. They're leaches.

and tornadoes, and blizzards, and bitter cold.

it's because mid-westerners have always had to rely on help from their neighbor.....who was always willing to help.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 06:16:04 PM »
A couple of years ago when an ice storm hit in early December, they did call out the National Guard after the second day that power was out.  Many of the side streets were blocked by downed trees, with power lines scattered around.  The NG went through some neighborhoods door to door to check on people and move them to shelters if necessary.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 10:05:54 PM »

Not just Mississippi, Slidell, St, Bernard, and Plaquemines Parish went unnoticed as well and they whacked as well. Texas went unnoticed following Ike and we got back to our feet and carried on as well, regardless of race. Yes, there is still damage, but we are making an effort. New Orleans is a lost cause how I see it. New Orleans has a culture of poverty that has been there for generations. 
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 10:13:35 PM »
Not just Mississippi, Slidell, St, Bernard, and Plaquemines Parish went unnoticed as well and they whacked as well. Texas went unnoticed following Ike and we got back to our feet and carried on as well, regardless of race. Yes, there is still damage, but we are making an effort. New Orleans is a lost cause how I see it. New Orleans has a culture of poverty that has been there for generations. 

FEMA contractors are still on Galveston Island doing cleanup...but you never hear anything about it.

The difference is that the Texans are working and helping at getting their surroundings back to normal.

The people in NO are waiting for it ALL to be done FOR them.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 10:25:53 AM »
FEMA contractors are still on Galveston Island doing cleanup...but you never hear anything about it.

The difference is that the Texans are working and helping at getting their surroundings back to normal.

The people in NO are waiting for it ALL to be done FOR them.

There is alot of pulling up your bootstraps and moving on all throughout the coast, Ike, Rita, and Katrina decimated those areas.  Some parts still look like a Nuclear Holocaust.  The fact that the MSM still focuses on the one area that is not doing anything to recover by themselves makes me physically ill.  I lost my family home in Katrina, and so many of my friends and relatives lost all that they had as well.  Four years later, and it is still a bone of contention with me.  FEMA is still in MS as well.  And, more than likely SW LA.  And you don't hear a danged thing. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 12:28:11 PM »
There is alot of pulling up your bootstraps and moving on all throughout the coast, Ike, Rita, and Katrina decimated those areas.  Some parts still look like a Nuclear Holocaust.  The fact that the MSM still focuses on the one area that is not doing anything to recover by themselves makes me physically ill.  I lost my family home in Katrina, and so many of my friends and relatives lost all that they had as well.  Four years later, and it is still a bone of contention with me.  FEMA is still in MS as well.  And, more than likely SW LA.  And you don't hear a danged thing.  

One of my pet peeves is the more recent use of the word, "decimate". The etymology of the word is from 1549, from L.L. decimationem, from L. decimare "the removal or destruction of one-tenth," from decem "ten." Killing one in ten, chosen by lots, from a rebellious city or a mutinous army was a common punishment in classical times. Earliest sense in Eng. was of a tithe; decimate has been used (incorrectly, to the irritation of pedants) since 1663 for "destroy a large portion of."

IassaFTots; I'm not picking on you, in particular, you just happened to be one of those who used the word improperly. It seems MORE common with our TV "journalists", talking heads, and the allegedly "more educated" to use the word, "decimate" improperly. I hear it's improper use all of the time. I think a better word that folks should use would be, "devastate" (The act of destroying or state of being destroyed: bane, destruction, havoc, ruin, ruination, undoing, wrack, wreck, wreckage.)

[/grammar Nazi]
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 08:46:54 PM »
One of my pet peeves is the more recent use of the word, "decimate". The etymology of the word is from 1549, from L.L. decimationem, from L. decimare "the removal or destruction of one-tenth," from decem "ten." Killing one in ten, chosen by lots, from a rebellious city or a mutinous army was a common punishment in classical times. Earliest sense in Eng. was of a tithe; decimate has been used (incorrectly, to the irritation of pedants) since 1663 for "destroy a large portion of."

IassaFTots; I'm not picking on you, in particular, you just happened to be one of those who used the word improperly. It seems MORE common with our TV "journalists", talking heads, and the allegedly "more educated" to use the word, "decimate" improperly. I hear it's improper use all of the time. I think a better word that folks should use would be, "devastate" (The act of destroying or state of being destroyed: bane, destruction, havoc, ruin, ruination, undoing, wrack, wreck, wreckage.)

[/grammar Nazi]

Wow. :II:  Who knew? 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 10:40:35 AM »

[/grammar Nazi]

I started to say "decimate" yesterday in a conversation and remembered this post....said "destroyed" instead.

Wonder if the person I was talking to would have known the difference..... :uhsure:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 02:33:50 PM »
Not to bust your chops, Thor, on your bone of contention (you are absolutely right about that), but be careful of pointing that finger - 3 more are pointed right back at you.

Your quote:

I hear it's improper use all of the time. I think a better word that folks should use would be, "devastate" (The act of destroying or state of being destroyed: bane, destruction, havoc, ruin, ruination, undoing, wrack, wreck, wreckage.)

You meant to use the possessive pronoun "its" (no apostrophe). The word "it's" is a contraction for "it is."

That particular faux pas jumps out at me all the time, so you're not alone.

One more while we're on the subject:

"Your" instead of "you're" (that one is SO EASY to write and get wrong)

:cheersmate:

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 05:02:22 PM »
Not to bust your chops, Thor, on your bone of contention (you are absolutely right about that), but be careful of pointing that finger - 3 more are pointed right back at you.

Your quote:

You meant to use the possessive pronoun "its" (no apostrophe). The word "it's" is a contraction for "it is."

That particular faux pas jumps out at me all the time, so you're not alone.

One more while we're on the subject:

"Your" instead of "you're" (that one is SO EASY to write and get wrong)

:cheersmate:

Sorry, probably noone will get it at all
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 05:07:27 PM »
Sorry, probably noone will get it at all
...or loose there mind trying.
 :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 02:00:47 AM »

[/grammar Nazi]

OK, Thor, I give you the resident dictionary DickTater award. However American "slang" is "to decimate" would mean: to turn your enemy into cole slaw!

Yer gettin' just a little to encyclopedis fer us Red Necks!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 01:06:11 PM »
OK, Thor, I give you the resident dictionary DickTater award. However American "slang" is "to decimate" would mean: to turn your enemy into cole slaw!

Yer gettin' just a little to encyclopedis fer us Red Necks!

Awww, come on......... I'm a born and raised Texan. I might not be a "redneck", but my Southern roots go back for six generations. :-)

Ohh, and Eupher, yes, I made a boo-boo....

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 01:48:02 PM »

Awww, come on......... I'm a born and raised Texan. I might not be a "redneck", but my Southern roots go back for six generations. :-)

Ohh, and Eupher, yes, I made a boo-boo....

just one?   :bolt:

paybacks are hell, huh?  :tongue:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 02:03:56 PM »

just one?   :bolt:

paybacks are hell, huh?  :tongue:

Sh'up.............. OLD lady.........   :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:   :tongue:   :fuelfire:

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 02:05:30 PM »

Sh'up.............. OLD lady.........   :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:   :tongue:   :fuelfire:

add another boo-boo to that lengthly list! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 02:40:30 PM »

Damn, he can't help it. Every time he gets near a keyboard he screws up.     :uhsure:       
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 02:45:26 PM »

Oh no he di'int!   :lalala:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 09:15:48 PM »
Damn, he can't help it. Every time he gets near a keyboard he screws up.     :uhsure:       
Forum rule #1:  Don't poke the bear.
 :-)