Author Topic: Here's what I've learned about women and sexual harassment from the DU community  (Read 367 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
In before the ban...

:-)

Star Member brooklynite (68,730 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215200312

Here's what I've learned about women and sexual harassment from the DU community...
(All of these comments have been made by someone here regarding Governor Cuomo)

If a woman doesn’t complain about inappropriate behavior immediately, should we really trust her?

What’s wrong with some harmless flirting?

Even a senior Democratic aide is open to a bribe from the GOP.

Gov Cuomo is doing such a great job, we really shouldn’t focus on his personal behavior.

- + - + - + - + -

Personally, I’d be embarrassed to say anything.like this, but that’s just me…

:popcorn:

Star Member Ms. Toad (25,866 posts)

4. Thank you.

I'll add a couple (paraphrased):

Since Trump got to stay, then sexual harassment and rape are not a reason to remove a Democrat from office.

Women who are sexually harassed by Democratic employers should not fear retaliation for reporting the harassment (because, of course, Democrats wouldn't engage in retaliation).

Star Member WhiskeyGrinder (10,862 posts)

7. Some people's standards are skewed by party lines.

Star Member dsc (49,632 posts)

14. I have been consistent throughout this is what investigations are for. The people of the state of NY elected Cuomo, the people of NY deserve to have Cuomo barring him having done, and been proved to have done, something bad enough that he is unfit to serve.

Now what he is alleged to have done falls into four categories

1) He was a bad boss who yelled at his underlings and called them names. I think we can agree that isn't a reason to say to NY, sorry but you can't have the person you overwhelmingly chose to be your governor.

2) He was highly inappropriate with underlings but refrained from touching them. Here we need an investigation. I know many wish to compare this to a CEO, but if a board fires a CEO, the board gets to replace him or her. If Cuomo resigns, the people of NY, who chose him, get no say at all in who replaces him. They are stuck with the Lt Gov for 2 years. To me that means there should be a very high bar to say to NY, you don't get to have the governor you chose. At the very least, an investigation should be part of that bar.

3) He twice physically touched women who were not in his employ when he did so (one never was, the other had been). Again, this is what we have investigations for. see point 2

4) He may have lied about nursing home deaths to facilitate a book deal and avoid a federal investigation. See points 2 and 3.

I have consistently said, and still am saying, that the bar should be very high before we tell the people of a jurisdiction, you don't get to have who you chose. Now, a clear case where I think a person needs to go is the AG of South Dakota. It is quite clear he ran over a person (that is literally a fact), left the scene (again, this is a fact), lied about his knowledge of what he hit (he disputes this but the interviews with police and the evidence are damning that he did, in fact, now what he hit). Barring this being a mongo frame up he needs to go. Now, I don't think it literally takes killing people to make you unfit. I think clear proof of 4 means Cuomo needs to go. In terms of 3, I think what he did at the wedding, even with her telling isn't enough in my mind. The hotel room may or may not be depending on how the facts shake out. It should be noted he is abjectly denying the account. In terms of 2, again the investigation needs to show what happened here. Even he says he was not appropriate. But I would need to see just what happened here.

Overturning elections should be hard. It should take investigations and proof, not allegations and calls to resign. The behavior should either be a crime or be so awful that it makes the holder unfit.

Budi (6,115 posts)

17. Tara Reade. That's what I learned here

That smear against Biden ran like wildfire on all media fronts. And here as well.
Trust her, they demanded.
Until she was proven a liar & untrustable.

Then, those who ran the story 24/7 all went completely silent & moved onto the next story.

That's what I learned about women & sexual harassment in an upcoming election.

I'll wait for the investigation.

As investigator, I would be asking to see the texts & phone mssgs from the claimants, for about 3 months prior to the seemingly coordinated media outing.

Thanks to those who shoved the bogus Tara Reade gotcha story in everyone's face 24/7, I'm believing not even half of the claims against Cuomo.

Prove you are legit. Cuz ya know, Tara Reade was the smear that was spose to damage Biden, too.
That story landed like a thud & her backers never mentioned her name again.

I'll wait.
Thanks for asking ~

:whatever:

Star Member Kaleva (27,071 posts)

21. What is your opinion on the accusations against Trump?

Did you admonish people here for jumping to conclusions when the stories first broke or did you believe them?

Budi (6,115 posts)

34. Trump's history was no secret. This is nowhere on the scale of rapist & Epstien pal, Trump.

Trump made no secret of his abuses. He, in fact bragged about it, laughed & wore it like a measure of priviledged masculinity.

:whatever:

Budi (6,115 posts)

38. Stop defending trump. His history of using & abusing women is..

..known & documented for years .

Epstein just didn't happen by chance one time.

Wiki is your source?
That's it?

Stop defending, & minimizing Trump to validate the kinda, sorta, maybe, accusations of Cuomo's accusors.

:thatsright:

Marrah_Goodman (1,111 posts)

23. For some people it's party above all

I think if there is an issue with Cuomo it should be looked into. If there is something there, he should resign. How can we ever demand the republicans clean house if we are not willing to do the same?

Star Member uponit7771 (74,802 posts)

24. BULLSHIT!! This is unfair bashing of DU by generalizing a relatively few post to DU as a whole. Why

Last edited Mon Mar 8, 2021, 11:47 AM - Edit history (1)

... not post a poll vs generalizing negatively then we can work from facts vs "some posters said"?

:stoner:

Star Member Bettie (10,722 posts)

25. So, I'm assuming you were entirely onboard with jettisoning

Biden when Tara Reade came out with her accusations?

Let the investigation continue. Just as it did with Biden.

I seem to recall most people who are truly exercised about Cuomo saying from day 1 that Reade was a liar.

As it stands now, Cuomo doesn't appear to have committed a crime. If he's a smart man, he will change his behavior.

Star Member Maru Kitteh (24,269 posts)

54. As of today there's like 5 "Tara Reades" and AFAIK, they're all Dems

so . . . . . .

How many women coming forward to support each other are enough for you to support women?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline thundley4

Budi (6,115 posts)

17. Tara Reade. That's what I learned here

That smear against Biden ran like wildfire on all media fronts. And here as well.
Trust her, they demanded.
Until she was proven a liar & untrustable.

And when was she proven to be a liar and untrustable?

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Whoa.  brooklynite is in pretty good with the dark powers, but he may be treading too heavily on thin ice here.  I hope he survives, because with Skins gone, he's the last remaining voice of semi-sanity on Skins' island.
apres moi, le deluge