Author Topic: Old fly rod  (Read 564633 times)

Offline Dblhaul

Re: Old fly rod
« Reply #200 on: July 19, 2015, 11:05:25 PM »
Fished today with a Taylor quad, great rod. Even better with a fish on!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #201 on: August 08, 2015, 11:01:57 AM »
Fished today with a Taylor quad, great rod. Even better with a fish on!

Sorry I haven't "been here" for awhile. New-ish job and got put on graveyard shift.  :yawn:
Is the Taylor based on a Edwards?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #202 on: August 20, 2015, 12:19:21 AM »
I'm not sure what the Taylor is based upon. It throws a nice look with a med action and plays a fish with ease. I also have a Kusse 7.5ft 5wt quad with one more guide on it..  it handles a tiny bit better, but the Taylor is the one that gets fished.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #203 on: September 19, 2015, 12:53:27 PM »
I bought, don't shoot me, a Chinese bamboo (Tonkin) flamed blank based on a T&T Caenis taper. It's a 3 wt 7.5' 2/2 for $140 shipped /w ferrules (NS). 

I got for fishing the West Branch Feather River (near me). I should post pics of the river. It has got to be one of the most beautiful rivers in the world.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #204 on: September 19, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »
I wanna shoot you! This is the reason I'm not retired!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #205 on: October 02, 2015, 01:34:51 PM »
Sorry Cats, but I got the rod this week, it's pretty nice. Ya, Chinese labor is a good thing........ I know it would be nice to support USA makers, but I can't afford it. Even at "blank" prices it would be 3X's what this rod cost me.  :(

What I want the rod for: 

West Branch of the Feather River. It's perfect for a 3 wt rod.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 02:17:53 PM by Wineslob »

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2016, 09:14:10 PM »
cats, you still making shavings?
Wine, how has that import done for the past year?

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #207 on: October 31, 2016, 04:51:20 AM »

No I have taken to rebuilding old. Just not worth the time and trouble not to mention the cost of cane. That and I can't see anymore. Making some banty's and biding my time till retirement so I can move out of this La La land. 3 years to go. Hope the country last that long.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #208 on: November 14, 2016, 11:39:12 PM »
Looks like we will survive!

I've done a few bantys,they always seem to end up a 6wt!

I have a couple more years then you

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #209 on: November 21, 2016, 03:15:34 PM »

Quite well. No issues other than me taking a fall and breaking one of the tips. It really is a nice casting rod.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #210 on: December 04, 2016, 10:19:52 PM »
how do you go about getting that tip section repaired? I have only needed repair services on a boo once, it was a American maker and had a few builders that were happy to fix.7

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #211 on: December 13, 2016, 12:50:24 PM »
Lots of bamboo rod makers will scarf a tip back to original length.

Try Classicflyrodforum.

I might have this one done  but it'll probably cost nearly as much as the blank did.  Hell, Cats can probably do it.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #212 on: December 28, 2016, 10:03:46 PM »
They have a single tip special for under 300 till the end of the year. I might try one at that price.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2017, 02:14:55 PM »
  Picked this up at a local pawn shop. It's a 1926 (from the ser. # E 1511) Hardy sold by the B H Dyas Co.  in L.A. They went out of business in the 30's I believe.

7' 4" 3/2 sliding band cork grip/seat in pretty good shape. Should be a 3-4 wt. The rod is quite small, should be fun on a small stream.

My hand for scale:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 02:21:19 PM by Wineslob »

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2017, 03:33:06 PM »
Two full tips? Look like nice ferrules. Have to re do?

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2017, 11:04:36 PM »
Wine- that looks sweet!  Keep us informed on the redo on it.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2017, 11:09:43 PM »
18" of snow still on the ground. Melting at a glacier rate in my opinion. I look forward to the days of complaining I'm too hot.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #217 on: March 02, 2017, 01:15:07 PM »
We have the same "problem" with snow here, Wayyyyyyy too much. It will, however, make for a fantastic fishing season.

Got the little Hardy finished up. From all accounts it might be a Marvel, first year, or a Princess model.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #218 on: March 13, 2017, 10:59:05 PM »
Sweet resto a nice rod!  I can see that stick fishing the St Joe for West Slope Cuttys.

Great work!

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #219 on: March 24, 2017, 01:13:23 PM »
I picked up a Sylk line for it, WF3F. Damn, if this IS a Marvel, I can understand why they were so popular. Casts like a dream. It'll be an awesome dry fly caster. Still raining here, COME ON SPRING!

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #220 on: April 12, 2017, 11:31:31 PM »
Still waiting for springs arrival. Rivers are flooding. Squallas were a no show.
That marvel like a sweet stick!
I have a few Sylk lines, they cast just fine. Also have a couple silk lines... wow!

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #221 on: April 24, 2017, 11:07:15 PM »
suffering from lack of fishingitis.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #222 on: May 04, 2017, 12:56:37 PM »
I took the Hardy out this past weekend. The river was "blown out" (too high) but I still tried. Nice casting rod, almost parabolic.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #223 on: May 07, 2017, 02:22:47 PM »
Annnnd   another rod!

Early 70's late 60's Phillipson glass . 6 1/2' 2/1 5 wt. Looks like it's new.

I lawn cast it yesterday. Being as short as it is, it takes a getting used to. Nice rod and a "cannon".

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #224 on: August 13, 2017, 01:01:39 PM »
Picked up a little "gem" at a Antique Mall.

No identifying marks other than 'Made in England". Best guess is it's a Heaton from the 1920's - 30's, judging from the ivory handle. Balances the Hardy rod I posted about, very nicely.

Only paid 18 bucks for it.   :hyper: